Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint level

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
had to choose between 20 and 30 for the Xpel Ceramic and went with 20. Pretty dark and more than I originally thought I’d go but I love it!

Attachments

• 80E06A83-5223-4EC8-9C7F-32AD71A9D702.jpeg
    80E06A83-5223-4EC8-9C7F-32AD71A9D702.jpeg
    537.8 KB · Views: 582
laminated glass always blocks near 100% of UV. someone posted the side glass filteration here before when he requested the info from Tesla. I seem to recall it was 60% UVA and 70% UVB.

IR/UV filter isnt very relevant as the heat enters the car mostly via convection, not via radiation.... no matter what you believe. The energy has to go somewhere. Like the sunrays dont just magically turn around because you have tint. The only exception to this is that it might be slightly cooler while driving as the windchill reduces the amount of convection heat you get. But not by much as the IR/UV energy is just a small part of the total heat generated.
I found this article very interesting and may help you understand the various heating effects of sunlight. The glass does transfer radiant heat as it heat up but tinting can reduce interior heat significantly if chosen correctly by reducing the amount and wavelengths of highest energy, those of shorter wavelengths. UV has little heating effect but is important to remove for health reasons.

I found this article very interesting and may help you understand the various heating effects of sunlight. The glass does transfer radiant heat as it heat up but tinting can reduce interior heat significantly if chosen correctly by reducing the amount and wavelengths of highest energy, those of shorter wavelengths. UV has little heating effect but is important to remove for health reasons.

I sense an internet argument brewing

😂

There was a shop I went to that wouldn't tint the windshield. They said it messes up the sensors. Anyone have that issue who tinted their windshield? I really want to tint it since it gets hot...
You’re in LA, correct? If you’re in the SFV, take it to Tint Master’s in Canoga Park. Talk to Robert. He did both of my Tesla’s and he’s done about 5-6 of my cars overall. He did the windshields without any problems. Great work, as always.

95894B9B-D189-4D3F-B2A1-F87FDDD83C22.jpeg
0C249C62-0DCA-4486-AA39-073A15969415.jpeg
92D64DBD-5452-447C-A5FC-10E98628F7F0.jpeg
0F000F31-2AA5-4A3C-B2A0-CE93A6788EF2.jpeg

Couple of them told me that too and wouldn’t do it. They said there’s computer part below the right side of the windshield.
The only time I've heard this is from an installer nervous about the amount of slip solution used getting into electronics at the base of the windscreen. I'm not sure what's in there of concern, but I also know that decent shops have plenty of ways to keep liquids where they need to be and away from places they shouldn't be.

Basically, if a shop says they can't do it- take them at their word before they screw something up for you and go to another shop. Plenty of Teslas have tinted windscreens, and plenty of shops can do it.

Sorry to revive a two month old thread, but I'm getting my M3P here in a little over a week and starting to think through tinting. I am in the camp of not liking the look of dark windows and only looking for additional protection for those in the car. Thinking about doing 55%, but wasn't tracking what all needs the tint. Certainly the side windows, but what about the rear and windshield? Perhaps a higher 70% for the windshield? Seems like the roof doesn't need it?

In terms of heat, I live in an area of Los Angeles where our summers get rather toasty (90s).

Last edited:
Sorry to revive a two month old thread, but I'm getting my M3P here in a little over a week and starting to think through tinting. I am in the camp of not liking the look of dark windows and only looking for additional protection for those in the car. Thinking about doing 55%, but wasn't tracking what all needs the tint. Certainly the side windows, but what about the rear and windshield? Perhaps a higher 70% for the windshield? Seems like the roof doesn't need it?

In terms of heat, I live in an area of Los Angeles where our summers get rather toasty (90s).
Will your car have black or white seats?

This is my Model 3 with 30%
58FC6E4D-BF9A-4387-8B50-4DC23C761C81.jpeg

C7288F84-F839-402E-B336-B8913D867B41.jpeg

20305428-D74C-4484-950F-9366D86DBB80.jpeg

Here is my Model Y with 40%
A5916772-D2E9-4F3F-B157-78CC521087A5.jpeg
As you can see, with white seats, you have to go around 20% or so.The Model Y has black seats, and it is 40%, which makes it look a lot darker. However, the Model Y feels significantly cooler inside than the 3 that has white seats. I also have 70% on the windshields.

I went with 25 front windows, 80 front windshield, 80 moonroof, 15 back windows and back glass. I think its perfect and I can see at night. tint was llumar ceramic. CTX for the 15/25 and Air 80 ceramic for the 80.
How is it looking through the slanted rear window with the 15%?

This is by far the best looking imho, but I worry about nighttime and was curious to try a slightly lighter tint for the back window, like 5% brighter.

Currently considering a wind-70%, Fw-20%, Rw-15%, and 70% roof.

i dont think windshield makes any difference (i used to live in the australian outback).

I do think it looks more homogenous if you put the same or slightly lighter tint in the rear (so if you go 50% on the sides, then maybe 50-60% in the rear)

If you like eurolook maybe just leave front and rear untinted and get 95% to 100% on the sides?
I think particularly with the white interior euro-look is pretty cool.

How is it looking through the slanted rear window with the 15%?

This is by far the best looking imho, but I worry about nighttime and was curious to try a slightly lighter tint for the back window, like 5% brighter.

Currently considering a wind-70%, Fw-20%, Rw-15%, and 70% roof.

70% wont matter much to see inside and outside- even legal in some european countries.