Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint preferences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I live in Atlanta, have had various flavors of 35% tint on our cars over the years. The Y will be my first car with dyed windows. I’m planning on 70% tint for the back windows to help with heat rejection and nothing on the windshield. The fronts are where I am struggling. I know 20% is what will “match”, but 35% is the technical legal limit in Georgia.

I am a little concerned about nighttime vision with 20%, but the mismatch aesthetics of 35% also has the possibility of annoying me. I have scoured the information super highway trying to find some pictures for reference but haven't found:

1. Blue model Y w/ 35% on the front
2. Interior looking out the side windows (preferably at night) of 20%

The shop I am planning to use has sample strips, but it's hard to visualize the entire window. I would appreciate if anyone could share a couple pics to help with my decision.

Thanks,
Rory

Unfortunately, pictures won't be all that helpful. Work with your installer to see if they have a vehicle in their shop later in the evening you can check out with 20% film on the front windows. 20% is quite dark. You should also ask yourself, what do you value more, shade mismatch on the front/rear windows or your ability to comfortably see out of the vehicle when night falls?

You need to be a careful how you state these numbers, 70% means you will let 70% of the light in:

The percent of visible light allowed through your car windows is called VLT: Visible Light Transmission. The percentage of light allowed through your film and glass in Georgia is very specific and different for sedan cars and SUV cars or vans.

Tint darkness for sedans:
Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 32% of light in.
Back Side windows: Must allow more than 32% of light in.
Rear Window: Must allow more than 32% of light in.

Source: Georgia Tint Laws - 2020 & 2021 - Car Tinting Laws
Copyright © Tinting-Laws.com

IMO, it depends a lot on whether you're going to tint your roof.

If you leave your roof alone or tint it 70%, then it's still going to let a lot of light in and running 20% tint on the front windows won't look too dark. I tinted my roof 30% so that really darkened up the interior, but that's how I like it. Because of that, I tinted the front windows 30% and sure enough they're darker because of the roof tint. Now the side windows match the rear tinted windows, which have 70% tint on them. Long story short, I have 70% on the windshield, back windows and rear hatch, and did 30% on the roof and front windows, all with Xpel XR Prime Plus. I've posted pics of this in the picture thread.

Ymmv, but I wouldn't tint the rear factory tinted glass darker unless you need it darker, but it makes it a lot harder to see out at night. I already have the auto-dimming mirrors turned off since it's too dark at night to drive with it enabled.

IMO, it depends a lot on whether you're going to tint your roof.

If you leave your roof alone or tint it 70%, then it's still going to let a lot of light in and running 20% tint on the front windows won't look too dark. I tinted my roof 30% so that really darkened up the interior, but that's how I like it. Because of that, I tinted the front windows 30% and sure enough they're darker because of the roof tint. Now the side windows match the rear tinted windows, which have 70% tint on them. Long story short, I have 70% on the windshield, back windows and rear hatch, and did 30% on the roof and front windows, all with Xpel XR Prime Plus. I've posted pics of this in the picture thread.

Ymmv, but I wouldn't tint the rear factory tinted glass darker unless you need it darker, but it makes it a lot harder to see out at night. I already have the auto-dimming mirrors turned off since it's too dark at night to drive with it enabled.

Tinting laws vary but State. If you were in Georgia, as the OP is, you would be ticketed.

Maybe. Tint laws are not heavily enforced in GA like in they are in CA for example. This is especially true in the current environment. The last thing LE is worried about in the Atlanta metro area anyway is vehicles with illegal window tint.
And there there is this... Does that mean 30% is technically ok?
  • Tint Variance: State laws allow 3% light transmission tolerance.
But yeah, true story. My wife's Beetle is tinted 30%. Window tint is not a priority anywhere around here that I have seen. Lots of much darker tinted cars.

Long story short, I have 70% on the windshield, back windows and rear hatch, and did 30% on the roof and front windows
I am not going to touch the windshield, not ready to give up any clarity. But you got me thinking about the roof. I can see tinting for aesthetic reasons to block out the light and make front match better at 30%. The roof already is really effective for UV and heat right? What about the rear window, is the OEM tint decent?

I have 40% all around and 50% on windshield.

It’s a tad dark for the rear windows but I appreciate it for the baby in the car seat. At night you don’t see much out the back windows but the cameras help with that.

I did not tint roof as my installer recommended against it for the little benefit it would provide.

And there there is this... Does that mean 30% is technically ok?
  • Tint Variance: State laws allow 3% light transmission tolerance.
But yeah, true story. My wife's Beetle is tinted 30%. Window tint is not a priority anywhere around here that I have seen. Lots of much darker tinted cars.
If you want 30%, go for it. You shouldn't have any issues with LE in the Atlanta metro area.