Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint Question Bay Area CA - or Nor CAL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to windows tint film technology. So I spoke to a company in Modesto they said they use 3m Crystalline film Also they will do the whole car including windshield.

It has heat blocking properties according to them.

Now is it the best film out there or any other options I should consider ?

They will charge me $1800 for this and they said back glass will be as one piece.

Also what is Nano Ceramic Film I was reading somewhere that is also good. I just want to know what are the difference between these films and which one will be the best for the vehicle in general.

Not all ceramic tints are equal

Nano Ceramic window films block more heat than the other variations of tint. The stats that you will want to accurately compare are the percentage of IR blocked and the TSER (Total Solar Energy Rejected). Top of the line Ceramic Films should be in the HIGH 90s for percentage of IR Rejected AND mid 50s to low 70s for percentage of TSER.

From the shop's perspective, the cost for the top end window film itself is very high compared to lower end films and even double the price as the lesser grade ceramic film. It is thicker, less easy to work with and costly to replace or redo a window, thus the reason for the higher prices.

Each major brand has their own "good/better/best" films. The best 3M offers is called Crytaline, Llumar's is Stratos, Xpel's is XR Prime Plus and so on. Honestly, they are all very close to each other in performance. So much so, if you had identical cars, tinted with the same shades of tint, I don't think the interior temperatures will vary much, if at all.

The Pinnacle series isn't their top end, but it's close. $600 is pretty average for the cost of that level of tint. $900 to $1,200 is common for most higher end shops to charge for their best film. I have heard of some shops charging nearly $2,000. I think that's pretty high though.

For the Model 3,
- if the shop does not do the back window in 1 piece
- if they haven't done very many Model 3s
- if they don't have more than 1 shade of tint to choose from for the back window
don't take your car there.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0