Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint recommendations for seamless roof look?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my metallic black Model S for a bit over a month now and really enjoying it. I really liked the nearly seamless look of the all-glass roof on the Model S as well as on the Model 3; however, since I purchased an inventory vehicle I had no choice but the pano roof that came already installed. The pano roof in comparison has five visible sections - the main fixed and moveable glass panels, two painted side runners (where the roof rack mounting points are), and horizontal painted front strip. The glass on the two sunroof panels and the rear window also have a thick black border covering the reinforcement areas surrounding the clearer glass.

I'm looking to tint the windows on mine, and was wondering what the best tinting strategy would be to achieve a more seamless, flush look across the roof and back, like in the Design Studio rendering. I realize the effect is somewhat depending on the ambient lighting, e.g. dark garage vs bright sunlight.

Would just tinting the rear window to match the sunroof more or less do it, and what is the tint % that most closely matches the factory sunroof tint?

Or since my car is black, should I tint both the rear and the sunroof with a darker tint so that the entire glass including the reinforcement surround all blends together and with the surrounding paint itself? Is the darker the better as far as the tint % to achieve this?

Tesla-glass-roof-black.png

I'm not going for the fully blacked out look, so I don't plan to tint the side windows any more than the 70% legal limit in California, nor black out the chrome around the side windows.

I realize there's a lot of tinting threads, but can't find any that match my specific question. I did see a long thread once that had many owner photos, but can't seem to find it anymore.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to put this in the Interior/Exterior sub-forum, but missed. If the mods can move it that'd be fine...

Last edited: