Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint recommendations in Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Akikiki! I read your thread on registering and I'm hoping that all goes smoothly when my car comes in. I might be an idiot as I can't seem to find a way to edit my signature. It may be because I haven't reached the 5 posts required to link webistes (this post would make 5), so I'll look again after posting this. I'll also post a reply in the other thread so I don't hijack this one.

P15482 - P85+, White, Black Perf. Interior, Carbon, Sound Studio, Gray 21" Perf Plus Wheels

Sweet car, Brandon!

Jatk - thanks for the confirmation on Dwight's policy. Still trying to decide. I think as long as my mother doesn't complain about the heat from the windshield, we'll leave it stock. I don't notice any particular heat from the windshield when I'm driving.

Sweet car, Brandon!

Jatk - thanks for the confirmation on Dwight's policy. Still trying to decide. I think as long as my mother doesn't complain about the heat from the windshield, we'll leave it stock. I don't notice any particular heat from the windshield when I'm driving.

Thanks Spleen, you too! Let us know if you ever end up installing that windshield tint.

Thanks for the warm welcome! My Model S lives in Seattle, but I still have a house in Hawaii - born and raised in Honolulu! :)

I had mine done at Auto Trim Hawaii on Nimitz. To be honest, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone here. I had my '13 Benz ML 350 there any he pulled out the rubber trim surrounding the bottom part of the glass and he couldn't put it back properly because the rubber was stretched out. :(

Thanks jatk for welcoming me. I seriously can't wait for my car to come in. Just got my temporary registration and forms mailed to me today. First mod on my list is definitely tint; it's been way too hot this past week!

Ahh, the waiting process. It's painful. Akikiki has designated me the Poster Child for Patience (PCP) and it is my job to help others through the seemingly endless wait. Reading the posts on the forum helps to pass the time, and to learn valuable information that will help when your car finally arrives. Best advice I can give is to be assertive. Make sure your car is where it is supposed to be once it leaves the factory and that all the forms have the correct information so that your registration process goes smoothly. Mac and Robert help with that. Soon enough, you too will be enjoying your new ride!

- - - Updated - - -

Sweet car, Brandon!

Sure thing. If I obtain any other info about windshield tint, I'll be sure to pass it along.

Malnodnarb, I owed you an explanation of how to update your signature on TMC. Go back up to the top, and select the Settings button, next to Profile. After you select Settings, scroll down on the left side to Edit Signature. You can add info that appears on every post. And update it later when you have more such as delivery date and HI tag number, so we know ya when we see ya.

Malnodnarb, I owed you an explanation of how to update your signature on TMC. Go back up to the top, and select the Settings button, next to Profile. After you select Settings, scroll down on the left side to Edit Signature. You can add info that appears on every post. And update it later when you have more such as delivery date and HI tag number, so we know ya when we see ya.

Thanks Akikiki. The button actually showed up after I made the 5th post or so. I guess since I didn't meet the minimum posts, I was limited to my customizations. All done now, as you can see. I will update it once my car comes in.

Thanks for the warm welcome! My Model S lives in Seattle, but I still have a house in Hawaii - born and raised in Honolulu! :)

I had mine done at Auto Trim Hawaii on Nimitz. To be honest, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone here. I had my '13 Benz ML 350 there any he pulled out the rubber trim surrounding the bottom part of the glass and he couldn't put it back properly because the rubber was stretched out. :(

Sorry to hear about that experience, thanks for the heads up!

Tinting Model S in Hawaii

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the nation-wide forum on tinting the S and I've gained lots of good insights, however as you all know, what is available in the mainland is often not available here. I read lots of good reviews on the Photosync tint, however searching online am unable to locate a Hawaii tinting company that carries it. The guy I used for tinting my cars moved away last year, so before I start calling around, I thought I'd ask if anyone has suggestions on tint and installers in Hawaii.

Just had my MS done at ProTint Hawaii today. I've used them before on all my previous cars and Dwight does an awesome job. Very professional and highly recommended. I believe he's done several other MS' including some TMC Hawaii forum members. I've never heard of Photosync, but he carries LLumar film.

Have you talked to Viet Tran he is the Director of Sales at Prestige Film Technologies the manufacturer of Spectra Photosync tint. He would be the one to tell you who can install their products in Hawaii as well as provide you a price quote. Below is his contact info as well as their web page.

Viet Tran
Director of Sales
Prestige Film Technologies
(925) 989-9473 - Direct
(408) 657-3880 - Office
(866) 723-4278 - Fax
[email protected]
Prestige Film Technologies - Prestige Clear Guard, CarboniteHD, ClearVue, Image Capture Film, Screen Protector and ViewBlock

Hi guys. Just to give you a quick update. I will shortly be carrying spectra photosync film. Will be getting samples by end of the week. I'll have to try it on my car to see how it installs as well as measure which film will pass safety inspection. However, I dont plan on stocking it until I have set up two interested parties just to make sure im not sitting on very very expensive film. According to Viet, they said they will only be setting one vendor per 80-100 miles so looks like I will likely be the only one carrying it. Please let me know if you are interested and I will order it as soon as I get two interested parties. Im still not sure on what the exact pricing will be but its somewhere in the ball park of $600-800 for sides and rear and $1100-1300 to include the windshield. These numbers are generated according to market knowledge by prestige. I will also be approaching barry tonorrow with this update. If youre interested, please feel free to give me a buzz. (808) 454-3899. Thanks! Peter

Hi Everybody!

So...I finally got my car! Well...my wife got my car :). We replaced her aging Escape hybrid with a used 60 that we found at the BMW dealership. I'm still diving the LEAF and waiting on my Model 3 to come in.

Anyway...we'd like to get the S tinted, and I was looking back at past recommendations, and it looks like you all have used a couple of different guys in the past.

I figured I'd resurrect this 3 year old thread and see if there are any updates.

I asked Jimmy at the SC, and he recommended Matt at Tint Factory, but back in the day the SC recommended Juns. I saw that a lot of you recommend Dwight from Pro Tint, and others have used TNT.

I got quotes from each of them, and they're all pretty comparable. It seems that they each use (or at least recommend) a different brand of film (TNT's price was a bit higher, but that seems to be because they are exclusive dealers for Llumar Formala One films; presumably that's a premium film?). Is there anyone else out there I should consider?

Has anyone had their windshield done, and if so, did it pass the light test after? If so, with which film? Dwight (Pro Tint) told me he wouldn't do it because it wouldn't pass the light meter test with the films that he uses (Llumar), but Matt (Tint Factory) and Peter (Juns) both offered it. TNT offers it, but they say they test a small patch first, and will install if it passes, but won't if it doesn't.

Here's what I've been able to glean so far:

Juns Tinting:
Johnson IsulatIR 35 on sides/back glass
Johnson IsulatIR 80 on windshield

Tint Factory:
SolarGuard UP35 on sides/back glass
SolarGuard UP80 on windshield

TNT Tinting:
Llumar Formula one Pinnacle 35 on sides/back glass
Llumar Air 80 on windshield

Pro Tint:
Llumar CTX35 on sides/back glass
Won't offer windshield on a Tesla

What's the verdict on the different films?

I've read great things about Huper-Optik, but that doesn't seem to be offered by any of the above installers.

Lastly, I've seen a lot of discussion on the mainland forums about Spectra Photosync, which seems to be like Transitions glasses for your car. Those that sell it rave about it, but the old time pros out there scoff at it and call it a marketing gimmick (http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php/topic/74603-prestige-spectra-photosync), and question the long term capability. Since it's only been available for a few years, the jury is still out on the durability. Anybody here had it for more than a year? Who installed it for you? The last post above from 3 years ago indicates that Juns can get it, but not sure if they still offer it.

Thanks in advance everybody!

I've been happy with the llumar tint from Protint but didn't really shop around for different films. If you really want the front windshield tinted, I'd say go with Juns. I enjoyed working with him and the film he uses is probably the same stuff he uses for the exotics he tints for JN.

I've been happy with the llumar tint from Protint but didn't really shop around for different films. If you really want the front windshield tinted, I'd say go with Juns. I enjoyed working with him and the film he uses is probably the same stuff he uses for the exotics he tints for JN.
Can I ask why you went with Protint rather than Juns when you got your 2nd Tesla tinted?

I've heard that some films have a bluish or bronze cast to them. What have you guys experienced? With our black car, we're looking for something that's more of a smoke/charcoal look without a color cast. Which films should we look for/stay away from?

Can I ask why you went with Protint rather than Juns when you got your 2nd Tesla tinted?

I've heard that some films have a bluish or bronze cast to them. What have you guys experienced? With our black car, we're looking for something that's more of a smoke/charcoal look without a color cast. Which films should we look for/stay away from?

Dwight has been our tint guy for years and we've always been happy with his work. I went with Peter for Xpel wrap after I got my tint.