Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint recommendations in Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a recommendation for good tinting vendor? I know a couple of people mentioned pro tint. In researching online, tint pro in Kakaako has received positive reviews. I really need the back window tinted because my kids roast when they sit back there in the middle of the day.

I was going to go to Pro Tint since the Jaguar dealer apparently recommends them, but when I picked up my MS, Efron mentioned that there was a guy who will be doing the tinting at the SC. I was concerned about having the door panels removed so having it done at the SC gives me some peace of mind. The guy was on vacation at that time, but Efron said he would call me upon his return. Haven't heard anything yet. Maybe I'll drop a line to Efron. Will let you know if I hear anything.

I was going to go to Pro Tint since the Jaguar dealer apparently recommends them, but when I picked up my MS, Efron mentioned that there was a guy who will be doing the tinting at the SC. I was concerned about having the door panels removed so having it done at the SC gives me some peace of mind. The guy was on vacation at that time, but Efron said he would call me upon his return. Haven't heard anything yet. Maybe I'll drop a line to Efron. Will let you know if I hear anything.

I use ProTint as well for tinting and paint armor. Efron gave me a quote yesterday for the mobile vendor they use but I think ProTint can beat the price and they a higher quality tint from what i've researched. Huper and Lumar vs. Johnson.

I used Pro Tint for our Model S and have absolutely no complaints. I've also used Al's Tinting before (on our Leaf) and T&T Tinting before (on our Ridgeline), again without complaints. Hard to go wrong with a quality tint shop.

Thank you all for the recommendations. Sounds like ProTint is the winner! I tinted my windows at home with huper and have been very pleased with the heat/light blockage. If you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay? I don't think I need to do the pano, but I will probably want to do the windshield. The car lets in way too much sun/heat. That's what I get for picking black on black.

Thank you all for the recommendations. Sounds like ProTint is the winner! I tinted my windows at home with huper and have been very pleased with the heat/light blockage. If you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay? I don't think I need to do the pano, but I will probably want to do the windshield. The car lets in way too much sun/heat. That's what I get for picking black on black.

I don't have the invoice with me but I believe the window tinting part of the charge was between $300 - $400. I think it makes a difference if you are a repeat customer, I had at least 5 cars tinted by Dwight.

Dwight at ProTint would not tint the windshield, said that it would make it too dark and not pass inspection, even with the Air Blue. Let me know if he tells you something differently because we really wanted to get the windshield done too.

I talked to Dwight and he said that none of the films he uses will pass inspection for the front windshield. I asked specifically about 3M crystalline 90; he said if it's 90, it should pass, but he himself does not use 3M because of problems with yellowing over time and because the product is inferior to others. I have the option of doing a tint visor on the windshield, but am debating whether it will compromise the look of the car. Anyone have thoughts about that? I'm going to see what impact the regular tint has before proceeding with the tinting the pano.

In doing a quick internet search, looks like there are a couple of vendors who install 3M crystalline 90 if you're interested spleen - prestige glass, pacific rim glass.

From what I'm told, the law allows 70% on the windshield but stock windshields already register between 70%-75% and adding any of these films will generally result in failing the safety check. As usual, it depends on how strict the stations are and whether or not they notice if you have a film on your windshield.

My friend's shop Midnight Tinting uses Solar Gard. They have a product called Solar Gard UP 75 that meters at 80% light pass thru. If anyone is interested, Ronald from Midnight Tinting has done 4 Tesla Model S and can do the windshield with UP 75. Sorry, not trying to create an advertising post but I wanted to let you folks know about your options. I've done many cars with him for myself, friends and family and he always does a great job and guarantees his work. I'm bringing my Model S to him for sure! Their number is 479-9488. Mods, please let me know if this post is not allowed. I have no affiliation with the company other than being a happy customer and friend of the owner.

- - - Updated - - -

I talked to Dwight and he said that none of the films he uses will pass inspection for the front windshield. I asked specifically about 3M crystalline 90; he said if it's 90, it should pass, but he himself does not use 3M because of problems with yellowing over time and because the product is inferior to others. I have the option of doing a tint visor on the windshield, but am debating whether it will compromise the look of the car. Anyone have thoughts about that? I'm going to see what impact the regular tint has before proceeding with the tinting the pano.

In doing a quick internet search, looks like there are a couple of vendors who install 3M crystalline 90 if you're interested spleen - prestige glass, pacific rim glass.

Don't do it! My old cars used to have the dark strips above the AS1 line, but that was kind of a popular look back then (15-20 years ago haha). I would recommend going with a clearer UV blocking windshield film than the dark strip. I recently bought my old car back from my cousin and it has that strip. I'm going to take it off because I think it takes away the classiness of the car. Either way, it's your opinion that matters, but I just think the strip is dated.

P.S. I also heard that the 3M product has adhesive problems over time.

Brandon

- - - Updated - - -
Don't do it! My old cars used to have the dark strips above the AS1 line, but that was kind of a popular look back then (15-20 years ago haha). I would recommend going with a clearer UV blocking windshield film than the dark strip. I recently bought my old car back from my cousin and it has that strip. I'm going to take it off because I think it takes away the classiness of the car. Either way, it's your opinion that matters, but I just think the strip is dated.

P.S. I also heard that the 3M product has adhesive problems over time.

Brandon

Haha! Yes, I think you're right. The more I think about it, the more I think it will ruin the look of the car. It was a moment of desperation...the heat was getting to me this weekend. I'm sure once the windows are tinted, the heat will not be nearly as much of an issue.

Btw, welcome to the forum. Thanks for your input.

Since Hawaiiskibum mentioned a tinting contact via the SC, I'll follow up and say that Barry has recommended Jun's tinting. They primarily do very high end vehicles (like Ferraris). I think the price runs around $350 for ceramic tint (not sure what brand), but I am waiting to hear back. Dwight came in cheaper and I get huper optik.

Since Hawaiiskibum mentioned a tinting contact via the SC, I'll follow up and say that Barry has recommended Jun's tinting. They primarily do very high end vehicles (like Ferraris). I think the price runs around $350 for ceramic tint (not sure what brand), but I am waiting to hear back. Dwight came in cheaper and I get huper optik.

The SC's tint guy quoted me $500 for the ceramic tint and windshield. Not sure of the details on the windshield though. Am still going with ProTint - Dwight on the tint and will wait to see if i'll need the windshield tinted if the car is too hot.

Haha! Yes, I think you're right. The more I think about it, the more I think it will ruin the look of the car. It was a moment of desperation...the heat was getting to me this weekend. I'm sure once the windows are tinted, the heat will not be nearly as much of an issue.

Btw, welcome to the forum. Thanks for your input.

Thanks jatk for welcoming me. I seriously can't wait for my car to come in. Just got my temporary registration and forms mailed to me today. First mod on my list is definitely tint; it's been way too hot this past week!

Malnodnarb, Welcome, welcome. Glad to have one more here. Tell us about your configuration, please. You can also post it as your signature under your profile like many do. We are all looking forward to hearing your own impressions and experiences with your MS.

Malnodnarb, Welcome, welcome. Glad to have one more here. Tell us about your configuration, please. You can also post it as your signature under your profile like many do. We are all looking forward to hearing your own impressions and experiences with your MS.

Thanks Akikiki! I read your thread on registering and I'm hoping that all goes smoothly when my car comes in. I might be an idiot as I can't seem to find a way to edit my signature. It may be because I haven't reached the 5 posts required to link webistes (this post would make 5), so I'll look again after posting this. I'll also post a reply in the other thread so I don't hijack this one.

P15482 - P85+, White, Black Perf. Interior, Carbon, Sound Studio, Gray 21" Perf Plus Wheels