Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint shop in the Howard County area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bro1999

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
Can anyone recommend a tint shop in the Hoco area (or one in one of the surrounding counties)? I'm not looking for the cheapest price, but a place that does quality work and is very familiar with Teslas. I'm supposed to pick up a Model 3 later this week and pretty much want to drop it off at a tint place right after to get that out of the way off the bat. Thanks in advance!

Can anyone recommend a tint shop in the Hoco area (or one in one of the surrounding counties)? I'm not looking for the cheapest price, but a place that does quality work and is very familiar with Teslas. I'm supposed to pick up a Model 3 later this week and pretty much want to drop it off at a tint place right after to get that out of the way off the bat. Thanks in advance!

A recent poster here had a bad experience at a shop in Columbia, MD.

I have an appt in two weeks at A Plus Auto Styling in Forest Hill, MD. (Just a bit north of Baltimore.). This shop does a lot of Tesla's. They post a lot of pictures on their Instagram account. I did a lot of research, and this shop answered every question as expected. Look for the Tesla page on their web site...all the prices are there. They did quote a lower price for one option (ceramic coating), saying the price had gone down since the web site was updated.

I doubt you'll be able to just drop your car off when you take delivery. Busy shop...we had to book about 6 weeks out.

We have a four month old Model 3. Getting PPF (full frontal, rockers, back bumper), window tint (45%, side windows and back window), and ceramic coating over-all. Process can take up to ten business days...I'm hoping they finish in seven or eight days. I'll miss my Tesla...

Reactions: bro1999

I have an appt in two weeks at A Plus Auto Styling in Forest Hill, MD. (Just a bit north of Baltimore.). This shop does a lot of Tesla's. They post a lot of pictures on their Instagram account. I did a lot of research, and this shop answered every question as expected. Look for the Tesla page on their web site...all the prices are there. They did quote a lower price for one option (ceramic coating), saying the price had gone down since the web site was updated.

I doubt you'll be able to just drop your car off when you take delivery. Busy shop...we had to book about 6 weeks out.

We have a four month old Model 3. Getting PPF (full frontal, rockers, back bumper), window tint (45%, side windows and back window), and ceramic coating over-all. Process can take up to ten business days...I'm hoping they finish in seven or eight days. I'll miss my Tesla...
I'll have to check them out. Didn't know about a 6 week lead time!
I'm just interested in getting ceramic all the way round (4 passenger windows, hatch, and windshield). Debating on if I want 30% or 45% (gonna go 70% on the windshield). I know 30% isn't technically legal, but I've had as low as 20% on previous cars and never had an issue so...

I'll have to check them out. Didn't know about a 6 week lead time!
I'm just interested in getting ceramic all the way round (4 passenger windows, hatch, and windshield). Debating on if I want 30% or 45% (gonna go 70% on the windshield). I know 30% isn't technically legal, but I've had as low as 20% on previous cars and never had an issue so...

Here's a link to the other thread I mentioned: Acceptable XPEL XR Plus Install?

The poster originally posted the city in MD, but it was redacted because he was still negotiating with them to get a refund. Last post I remember said they grudgingly offered a refund of $675 on the price paid of $975.

Yeah, state law is 30% I think but this shop said they often install darker...even have police asking for lower than state law.

Here's a link to the other thread I mentioned: Acceptable XPEL XR Plus Install?

The poster originally posted the city in MD, but it was redacted because he was still negotiating with them to get a refund. Last post I remember said they grudgingly offered a refund of $675 on the price paid of $975.

Yeah, state law is 30% I think but this shop said they often install darker...even have police asking for lower than state law.
Yikes, what a nightmare. Swapping in a different brand tint without even mentioning it to the owner? That's bush league.
I put in a request to A Plus. A bit out of the way, but if they do the job right the first time I'm fine with that.

Reactions: DeltaOne

They quoted me $700 for their color stable tint (cheapest one) for everything except roof glass, and $950 for the ceramic. Yowza!

They quoted me $700 for their color stable tint (cheapest one) for everything except roof glass, and $950 for the ceramic. Yowza!

I'm new to this stuff...but quite sure you can find it cheaper at another shop. I won't be able to tell how they did on my car until later in August, but my visit to their shop convinced me that they seem to do things the right way. So the extra cost is worth the piece of mind.

Let us know if you go with A Plus or another shop.

I'm new to this stuff...but quite sure you can find it cheaper at another shop. I won't be able to tell how they did on my car until later in August, but my visit to their shop convinced me that they seem to do things the right way. So the extra cost is worth the piece of mind.

Let us know if you go with A Plus or another shop.
Did you end up going through A+? I am looking for a tint shop in the hoco as well. How much did you end up paying if you dont mind me asking?

Did you end up going through A+? I am looking for a tint shop in the hoco as well. How much did you end up paying if you dont mind me asking?
I did use A Plus, about two years ago so the pricing has likely changed. The A Plus Tesla page use to have pricing, but I see today that the pricing has been removed. But it does show the four main options for PPF. I chose the Mega option (PPF, window tinting) and added ceramic coating, Price was $4,000.

That was a lot to spend, for me, but in hindsight was totally worth it. As my Model 3 approaches 2.5 years old, it looks as good as it did on day one. And it's easier to wash and clean up too.

Tesla Detailing - A-Plus Auto Styling

Last edited:
Reactions: nitynity
I did use A Plus, about two years ago so the pricing has likely changed. The A Plus Tesla page use to have pricing, but I see today that the pricing has been removed. But it does show the four main options for PPF. I chose the Mega option (PPF, window tinting) and added ceramic coating, Price was $4,000.

That was a lot to spend, for me, but in hindsight was totally worth it. As my Model 3 approaches 2.5 years old, it looks as good as it did on day one. And it's easier to wash and clean up too.

Tesla Detailing - A-Plus Auto Styling
Thanks for the response. Really appreciate it. They do have some quotes regarding window tinting.

But it doesn’t mention specifically Tesla as you stated.
A follow up question.

How does the state inspection process works in Maryland? Once you get the certificate from the inspection center, will there be a second visual inspection of the vehicle at the MVA or anywhere else before you can get the title n registration?
I’m trying to get window tint on my M3, want to make sure it’s safe to do so after passing the inspection and before getting the vehicle registered if I choose to go with a darker shade.

How does the state inspection process works in Maryland? Once you get the certificate from the inspection center, will there be a second visual inspection of the vehicle at the MVA or anywhere else before you can get the title n registration?
I’m trying to get window tint on my M3, want to make sure it’s safe to do so after passing the inspection and before getting the vehicle registered if I choose to go with a darker shade.

Maryland only requires an inspection when a vehicle's ownership changes (after a sale). So my Model 3 has never been through a state inspection because I purchased it new.

If I were to sell it, the new owner would have to pass a MD inspection before they could get new tags. Some auto sellers have their vehicle pre-sale inspected, it's a great perk for potential buyers when they know they don't have to deal with the inspection issue.

Reactions: nitynity
Maryland only requires an inspection when a vehicle's ownership changes (after a sale). So my Model 3 has never been through a state inspection because I purchased it new.

If I were to sell it, the new owner would have to pass a MD inspection before they could get new tags. Some auto sellers have their vehicle pre-sale inspected, it's a great perk for potential buyers when they know they don't have to deal with the inspection issue.
I see. What VLT did you go with for your tints?