Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint Shop says Tesla windshields being replaced due to waves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was at my local tint shop who installed my tint and recently added some full front PPF on my Tesla. They pointed out to me that if I ever decided to get my Tesla windshield tinted, I should have the windshield replaced first as mine has these waves in it you can see from the side. I’ve noticed a lot of folks saying they had tint and noticed it and thought it was the tint, but I can see the waves with no tint at all.

Shop said they’ve had many Tesla owners recently call Tesla and Tesla replaced their windshield due to this defect. Has anyone heard or done this?

If you google for "ripples in windshield", you will get hits in every car forum on the internet. It is not a problem inherent to Tesla, its a problem inherent with glass.

"Make sure you are happy with your windshield before I tint it," is good advice, just not Tesla-specific advice.

Reactions: MP3Mike
If you google for "ripples in windshield", you will get hits in every car forum on the internet. It is not a problem inherent to Tesla, its a problem inherent with glass.

"Make sure you are happy with your windshield before I tint it," is good advice, just not Tesla-specific advice.
Still useful info for tesla owners to be aware of however. Similar to delivery gaps, missing USB ports, lower lumbar delete... etc etc. Something to be aware of when you go to take delivery.

I've personally never had an issue with waves in a windshield or heard of it being an issue.

I'm enlightened and appreciate the OG's post.

Unless it's unbearable, I'd leave it alone. Maybe i just have bad luck, but the last 2 times I've had my windshield replaced there was minor damage from the cutter they use, as well as grease marks. Both very small, but still bothered me. In one case, the windshield started leaking, didn't notice it until a torrential rain a year later. Tiny leak and only happened under the worst conditions, but to get it fixed... guess what? They'd have to pull my windshield off and redo it and I'd have to risk more damage to my car

I noticed the same thing on my S. Picked up new in September 2022. Right in my line of sight. I also noticed in a good rain there's 2 horizontal lines where water creates a sort of line. One of them is in same area.