Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint Shops in NoVA/MD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't post in the tint sub-forum, I assume it is for vendors only.

Do you guys have any recommendations for Tint Shops in NoVA or even MD (closer to Rockville/Bethesda would be better) that does a great job and offers high quality tint (high UV/heat/IR blocking)?

I found a place called AP Tinting and they seem to have great reviews. However, they quoted me $720 to tint the side windows and rear glass with Spectra Photosync (which I think is really high). I don't want to go really dark and the purpose of tint is really for UV/IR/heat reduction/blocking and based on my research it seems that Photosync at a 45% or 55% would have superior UV and heat reduction without being illegal or causing any night visibility concerns.

I can't post in the tint sub-forum, I assume it is for vendors only.

Do you guys have any recommendations for Tint Shops in NoVA or even MD (closer to Rockville/Bethesda would be better) that does a great job and offers high quality tint (high UV/heat/IR blocking)?

I found a place called AP Tinting and they seem to have great reviews. However, they quoted me $720 to tint the side windows and rear glass with Spectra Photosync (which I think is really high). I don't want to go really dark and the purpose of tint is really for UV/IR/heat reduction/blocking and based on my research it seems that Photosync at a 45% or 55% has superior UV and heat reduction.
I'm in Ashburn as well and used LA Tint in Sterling. I'm happy with their FormulaOne Pinnacle series tint.

A friend of mine recommended them based on his experience with them tinting his Audis...

• Helpful
Reactions: Vrrooom
I recently got tint. There are so many choices,

Solartek CXP
SolarGuard UHP
3M Crystalline
Huper Optik
Llumar
Photosync

etc.

But let me simplify it for you,
1. Tint on a Tesla is awesome and highly recommended. Tesla's AC sucks, and the tint really removes the heat (and reduces your power consumption by 15kwh) .. so it's like getting a bigger battery :) .. except cheaper!
2. Get tint everywhere, pano, sides, back, and even front - yeah I know front is not legal. But they make tint that is transparent (70-95% clear), and blocks heat. .. how much heat .. ? That's where point #3 comes in.
3. The price goes a bit like this, $550ish for all glass for around 45-47% block of infrared (which is what matters anyway), or $800-$900 for 4-5% more block (3m crystalline etc.)

Your $, your decision, but I got solarguard UHP, 80% all over, and I'm super happy! I think solartek cxp is comparable. 3mCrystalline or photosync are of course superior, but not double the price superior. Llumar is equivalent to Solar and Suntek. Huper is between 3M crystalline and Solar, and Photosync is very comparable to 3M but pricey$$$

PM me and I'll provide you with more details. Buy me an ice cream for a very helpful message if u wish too.

Just one more thing, get a ceramic film (CXP or UHP are, and 3M crystalline is) .. otherwise it'll block your damned EZpass and cellphone and LTE on the 17" TV.

Hope that helps!

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: AdamHLG and Vrrooom
i can't think of the name of the place but theres a shop in columbia MD across from where walmart is i've taken 3 cars there for the ceramic tint on dobbin rd i want to say performance or something like that

Reactions: Vrrooom
Thanks, a lot of good information. I'd be happy to buy you an ice cream and talks cars; are you local to NoVA?

Yes I'm local :) .. I think it MAY be worth for you to sit in my car even and experience the tint first hand. Not trying to be a pushover etc. but always happy to get together with fellow Tesla owners. If you want, we could get together for lunch @ Montgomery mall. (Others are welcome too of course)

Last edited:
Ok I can do this Friday the 8th at noon, we can meet at the Tesla showroom at Montgomery Mall, I think they have a Model X on the floor. .. And then head for lunch to the foodcourt, post lunch we can check out the cars .. I'll park in the foodcourt parking lot, so I think we could do lunch + food in about 1.5 hour.

Suggested Agenda -
Noon - meet at Tesla showroom Montgomery Mall, and we head to food court
By Noon:45 - done with food chit chat, head to parking lot
By 1:30 check out tint etc, of course feel free to hang around as late as you want ..

(Just because it's a working day .. .. it'd be nice to stick to some sort of plan .. and if someone's short on time, they can meet just for checking out cars)

Does this time work? I can't do this weekend sorry!

Who is coming? (RSVP as a comment please .. just so I know I'm not the only one who shows up LOL).

Ok I can do this Friday the 8th at noon, we can meet at the Tesla showroom at Montgomery Mall, I think they have a Model X on the floor. .. And then head for lunch to the foodcourt, post lunch we can check out the cars .. I'll park in the foodcourt parking lot, so I think we could do lunch + food in about 1.5 hour.

Suggested Agenda -
Noon - meet at Tesla showroom Montgomery Mall, and we head to food court
By Noon:45 - done with food chit chat, head to parking lot
By 1:30 check out tint etc, of course feel free to hang around as late as you want ..

(Just because it's a working day .. .. it'd be nice to stick to some sort of plan .. and if someone's short on time, they can meet just for checking out cars)

Does this time work? I can't do this weekend sorry!

Who is coming? (RSVP as a comment please .. just so I know I'm not the only one who shows up LOL).

I'm out :(

Short on hours this week already, can't take the time out of my day.

Hope everyone has fun though :D

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
Ok so tomorrow at noon, me, nagarseth and vrrooom so far. I'll be there, and will be checking out the model x in the tesla store at noon sharp. If anything changes, I'll post a message here, but no message = I'm planning on being there. I'm around 5'10, and very sexy. I wear red glasses.

@kevinf311 hope you can spare time for lunch. You know you wanna be there :D

Ok so tomorrow at noon, me, nagarseth and vrrooom so far. I'll be there, and will be checking out the model x in the tesla store at noon sharp. If anything changes, I'll post a message here, but no message = I'm planning on being there. I'm around 5'10, and very sexy. I wear red glasses.

@kevinf311 hope you can spare time for lunch. You know you wanna be there :D

I do *want* to be there, but alas, it's not in the cards :(