Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint vs. Non-tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only reason I would ever order one without tint is if I live in the North or South poles. There would be no reason for tint up there because the sun would always be low in the sky. But other than that I wouldn't order non tint. The tint keeps the car cool and protects you from too much sun, I don't want to be putting on lotion when I get in the car on a sunny day at noon :wink:.

- - - Updated - - -

Wish there was an option on non-tint windows or is there? I would like my order to be without tint, does anyone agree :confused:
And no there is no non-tint option.

I miss the brighter/clearer rear and rear side view that I enjoy in Model S. If the rear view mirror was a combination video/mirror model, that would help. That same higher camera (above the rear hatch) ideally would be viewable as a second rear view on the touchscreen, but only if it has less distortion. There are times in travel when you want to look at the mountains or other views behind you. Model X does make that more difficult, especially when Auto Pilot would allow more turning around while the vehicle drives itself.

While the front windshield and side windows provide a magnificent experience, vacation travel will require more stops to get out of the vehicle and experience a 360 degree view without dark tint behind the driver and passenger.

The answer to all of this is simple: electrically variable tinted windows. Imagine clear glass at night or day when conditions are right. Yosemite and Zion National Park is a perfect example of when the clear glass is going to be appreciated.

Here is a recent clear view from the front of the Disneyland Monorail. My Model X passengers say that riding in the front is like being in the Monorail front cabin. At least the Model X Big Sky windshield has better optical properties than this grand clear view wavy curved surface!

IMG_2952.jpg