Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
God, I hate you guys!! At the tint shop right now and got talked into ceramic lol!! $350 for the front passenger windows + windshield. Back windows with factory smoke color measured at 22% on the meter. The new ceramic tint will be installed on the front passenger windows at 20% ($150).. front windshield at 50% ($200).

Seriously considered regular 'carbon' tint which would be $70 for the front passenger windows + $100 for the windshield.. so about half the price. But the owner/installer actually drives a Model X and of course, I asked what he had on his car. You figure between being a Tesla owner.. and owning/installing tint for a living... you can't get much better advice. Really like the way his tint looked including the windshield. Also helps that he pointed out ceramic is clearer/easier to see out of, especially at night which ultimately made the final decision.

Certainly didn't expect to spend this much.. or do the front windshield. Its $350 I'll never get back. But I absolutely love the look and most importantly the extra privacy that tinting the front windshield gives. Sitting in his vehicle, I could still see incredibly well out front of his Model X.. I honestly couldn't even tell it was tinted. The owner/installer said he wouldn't drive without it. Also very important to point out that front tint is actually illegal in DC, MD, and VA where I live.. but with only 50% on the front he's never gotten pulled over or ticketed for it. And that's after driving for years with the front windshield tinted. He also said if I ever got ticketed or wanted to remove it for any reason.. he'd do that for free.

I will post before & after pictures when he's done. The car should look pretty sweet!!!

Upvote 0
God, I hate you guys!! At the tint shop right now and got talked into ceramic lol!! $350 for the front passenger windows + windshield. Back windows with factory smoke color measured at 22% on the meter. The new ceramic tint will be installed on the front passenger windows at 20% ($150).. front windshield at 50% ($200).

Seriously considered regular 'carbon' tint which would be $70 for the front passenger windows + $100 for the windshield.. so about half the price. But the owner/installer actually drives a Model X and of course, I asked what he had on his car. You figure between being a Tesla owner.. and owning/installing tint for a living... you can't get much better advice. Really like the way his tint looked including the windshield. Also helps that he pointed out ceramic is clearer/easier to see out of, especially at night which ultimately made the final decision.

Certainly didn't expect to spend this much.. or do the front windshield. Its $350 I'll never get back. But I absolutely love the look and most importantly the extra privacy that tinting the front windshield gives. Sitting in his vehicle, I could still see incredibly well out front of his Model X.. I honestly couldn't even tell it was tinted. The owner/installer said he wouldn't drive without it. Also very important to point out that front tint is actually illegal in DC, MD, and VA where I live.. but with only 50% on the front he's never gotten pulled over or ticketed for it. And that's after driving for years with the front windshield tinted. He also said if I ever got ticketed or wanted to remove it for any reason.. he'd do that for free.

I will post before & after pictures when he's done. The car should look pretty sweet!!!
The rear windows don't really have much heat rejection which is why it is pretty common to tint over the factory tint.....especially if you went through the effort of doing the windshield...

I don't know if ceramics are clearer..although they tend to be pricier which probably demands they have very good clarity...I would say the biggest downside I see with ceramics is if you wear polarized sunglasses...You do see rainbows..some people say X doesn't, they do...just depends on the angle, maybe it varies by individual. It isn't always very noticeable but they're there...

The ones I've seen like XR plus 70, looks like they've sacrificed some heat rejection to have less of a rainbow effect....

Upvote 0
We will see what happens with the rear/heat situation. I really just wanted the privacy/looks. Not really concerned with the heat inside the car. That said if does become an issue I will certainly considering doing the rear windows & hatch glass.

Upvote 0
We will see what happens with the rear/heat situation. I really just wanted the privacy/looks. Not really concerned with the heat inside the car. That said if does become an issue I will certainly considering doing the rear windows & hatch glass.
Can't wait for a pic! I'm glad you decided to hit the upgrade button! 👀 $350 is a fairly good deal as well. Congrats!

Reactions: Daekwan
Upvote 0
DE87E7F4-5E6B-4959-9E19-653E5965744B.jpeg

Fronts only - think it was about $150. No need to do any other windows imo

Upvote 0
Before

92AA5B5B-6AF0-41A2-B429-16CF41FA598B.jpeg

After

4D223C29-98D9-4D4E-9643-6D6E1A9436DE.jpeg

Car is dirty as I’ve driven in the rain a few days this week. Was told to wait 3 days before washing it. And no Windex on the interior tinted windows going forward.

Will wash it and take better pictures next week. Not sure how I feel about the windshield tint. Don’t get me wrong it looks freaking awesome but it’s certainly a change for my daily drive. Haven’t tried with polarized sunglasses yet. Plan to leave it on until I get ticketed for it.. or just change my mind and want the clear/full view back.

All that said.. this is exactly what I was looking for and price/materials were competitive.

Upvote 0
If you don't care about the heat there is probably little reason to go with ceramic as then it only carries downside (rainbow)...but I guess on the plus it looks good and the price was really good.

Upvote 0
If you're looking for color (aesthetics) and privacy, I totally agree with you. There is no need to spend big on tints.

To your other points, because I live in South Florida, spending the extra money on ceramic or crystalline products is well worth it. If you ever have some free time or find yourself needing new tints, stop by a higher-end tint shop. They will have a heat lamp on display which allows you to rotate different tints between you and the lamp to feel differences. No tint is hot, baseline tints is hot, ceramic is warm, crystalline is no heat penetration. Feeling the difference is an eye opening experience, at least it was for me.

The best reason for the ceramic or crystalline tints is to mitigate UV ray and infrared heat on your skin. As I said in an earlier post, anytime I get in another vehicle with no tints, or baseline, aesthetic tints, I can almost instantly feel the sun beating down on my skin. Whereas in my car, it can be noon, 95*F, and a cloudless day in Miami and I won't even notice the sun in my car. This fact makes for an extremely comfortable experience in the car.

As added an bonus, with the ceramic and crystalline products, with the Tesla overheat protection off, the car's interior simply will not get as hot, nor hot as quickly as a car with no tints or a car with baseline aesthetic tints. Needless to say, in South Florida, this is a huge plus. Also, in South Florida, preserving the interior from UV damage is a concern (mainly for aesthetic purposes, as interior UV damage won't likely decrease the value of your car overtime). On my last car (2013 Golf R, purchased new, had "color match" grade tint, had for 8 years, and mainly garaged), the interior blacks were significantly fading after 4 years. There were points where you could start to rub away the top layer of interior trim because of the heat...
The glass itself is an extremely effective UV blocker. It's a quantum mechanics thing resulting in a hard cutoff at 310 nm, tints add nothing. I have a UV meter. checked all the glass, zero UV except for a tiny bit through the front passenger windows (2020 model so single glass, newer ones with the double pane are better).

Upvote 0
The glass itself is an extremely effective UV blocker. It's a quantum mechanics thing resulting in a hard cutoff at 310 nm, tints add nothing. I have a UV meter. checked all the glass, zero UV except for a tiny bit through the front passenger windows (2020 model so single glass, newer ones with the double pane are better).
For many, it's all about the heat and that is where a premium tint is worth the money. You can absolutely feel the heat through an untinted window in a hot climate or at high elevation (or both, like here).

TSER: Total Solar Energy Rejected
Total Solar Energy Rejected is the percentage of the total solar energy that is rejected. TSER includes all three: visible light, infrared and ultraviolet.

Reactions: julit0
Upvote 0
Car glass doesn't prevent as much UV as most tints.....Windshields tend to have more protection....This all does depend on the car you have though.

Your meter was checking UV-A and/or UV-B? If you're getting 0, I doubt whatever meter you have....

Upvote 0
I highly recommend the setup I have on my Y..
3M "Ceramic IR" Tint on Lift Gate and Rear Windows at 25%
3M "Ceramic IR" Tint on Front Windows at 30%
3M "Crystalline" Tint on Windshield at 70%.

With this combo, my Y stays significantly cooler and I can physically notice the increase in UV ray protection... Now, anytime I ride in a car without tints, or lower quality tints, I can feel the sun's intensity on my skin.
As an added bonus, I've had the car for almost a year and everything still looks brand new on the interior with absolutely zero fading from the sun (if this is an issue on these cars).

Total cost: $750 at solar tint in South Florida
Im think Im going to copy your style.

Ive gone through this thread and see a lot about windows and windshield, some about rear hatch. Does anyone tint the roof glass. I rented a Model Y with tinted windows but not roof before I ordered and could feel the summer AZ rays on my head.

Upvote 0

Ive gone through this thread and see a lot about windows and windshield, some about rear hatch. Does anyone tint the roof glass. I rented a Model Y with tinted windows but not roof before I ordered and could feel the summer AZ rays on my head.
I've seen both...and it doesn't seem to make a big difference. Testing seems to indicate that the roof has really good heat rejection already...and apparently there are some risks as far as the roof glass cracking if you tint it..but the people I know personally with it tinted have all not had an issue...and my personal experience is, I have yet to feel the suns rays come through the roof unlike the front sides and windshield...There is, of course heat because it will get hot...but that's not the same thing...

Upvote 0
I've seen both...and it doesn't seem to make a big difference. Testing seems to indicate that the roof has really good heat rejection already...and apparently there are some risks as far as the roof glass cracking if you tint it..but the people I know personally with it tinted have all not had an issue...and my personal experience is, I have yet to feel the suns rays come through the roof unlike the front sides and windshield...There is, of course heat because it will get hot...but that's not the same thing...
Thanks Polymer. I was scrolling through another thread and saw that video about the minimal roof heat. I’ll probably avoid the cost and not take the risk.

Upvote 0

I do love my tints!
But,
DONT tint the roof. For one, it will cost you an arm and a leg ($500+) as the cut is large, and removing the head paneling is required to install the tint.

I got a shade + reflector for a fraction of the cost (Link: https://amzn.to/3vWIT8d). This will reject heat far better than any roof tint will, and you have the option of leaving it up during the hot months, which is what I do. 5 minute install / take down and dependable.

Upvote 0
I do love my tints!
But,
DONT tint the roof. For one, it will cost you an arm and a leg ($500+) as the cut is large, and removing the head paneling is required to install the tint.

I got a shade + reflector for a fraction of the cost (Link: https://amzn.to/3vWIT8d). This will reject heat far better than any roof tint will, and you have the option of leaving it up during the hot months, which is what I do. 5 minute install / take down and dependable.
That’s my plan now. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: journey.w.vic
Upvote 0