Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinted, De-Chromed, and 22PLE Coated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll agree it looks pretty sweet, but why re-paint the car after you de-chromed it? Did you not care for the factory tint? Was it required to cover up the work done?

I ask because black is one of the colours I'm considering for my Model S. Between you repainting yours a different shade/coat and another owner I know encountering non-removable water spots on his....it makes me nervous.

While I love the Model S, I am not a huge fan of Chrome, so recently I went through the process of De-Chroming, Tinting and having and incredible detailer finish off the job with some minor paint correction as well as a final coating of 22PLE finish. I cannot tell you have great this looks in person, but I have attached a few shots to show the final product.
I'll agree it looks pretty sweet, but why re-paint the car after you de-chromed it? Did you not care for the factory tint? Was it required to cover up the work done?

I ask because black is one of the colours I'm considering for my Model S. Between you repainting yours a different shade/coat and another owner I know encountering non-removable water spots on his....it makes me nervous.
I don't think he meant re-painting when he said "Tinting". That usually means windows.
The 22PLE is a clearcoat ('glass coat') product (I don't know the details exactly, just a quick google search), not a repaint either.

"Paint correction" likely means some imperfections in the original paint job that could be touched up. Not exactly repainting, more a matter of bringing to perfection. A really good detailing shop like the one used for this would likely advise doing that before putting the 22PLE on.

Actually the tinting is only referring to the windows. The paint correction is specifically done by my detailer who looks for slight imperfections in the finish buffs them completely away then the final step is to seal the whole car using 22PLE. While the car look great before and the service center did a nice job prepping it, there is nothing like a very high end detailer working on your car. It is expensive, but well worth it over the life of the car and paint.

J

Esoteric is located in New Albany Ohio, a suburb of Columbus. Todd does amazing work and specializes in exotic cars. While my car was in there were three Ferrari and a Maserati waiting or completed. The website is Esoteric Auto Detail in Columbus, Ohio Detailing, Training, and Product Sales.

Ah I see. It's the same Todd I've seen writing and commenting in a few detailer articles at the Detailed Image store/site. Here's one of them --

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/blackfire-wet-diamond-paint-sealant-product-review/

Btw, I take it that 22PLE can be considered a sealant? I'm currently in the market for one. My "S" is overdue for a new application.

Todd does amazing work. Its nice that he is located just 20 minutes away. I want to take his professional detailing class as it appears that it is a great way to learn the ins and outs of proper detailing as well as making some good contacts.

I detail work does not fail to amaze. I recently drove through a huge construction area and my car was absolutely covered in dust and grime. I simply took the hose and rinsed the vehicle and BAM looked amazing.

I believe you can consider it a sealant. If you look at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...for-test-of-paint-finish-gloss-and-durability
you will see that it does not rank high in gloss improvement initially, but over the course of time it improves and keeps a great finish. Todd says you can add a "gloss" layer at any time and keep the cured 22ple layer. But you can ask Todd directly at his facebook page https://www.facebook.com/EsotericDetail