TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tinted Headlights

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ThatGoogleGuy, Oct 14, 2015.

1. ThatGoogleGuy

ThatGoogleGuy Member

After spending hours trying to find pictures of a Tesla with tinted headlights,and not having any success. I decided to get mine done today. It was a hard decision to make because I had no clue how it would look, but at the least I figured I could help other people out by posting this. I still haven't decided if I am keeping them tinted or not, opinions are welcome! Here are a couple pictures

2.jpg

1.jpg

And here is my $1000 discount referral link in case anyone decides to impulse buy a Tesla after seeing my post :p
    http://ts.la/jacob5137

2. verdee

verdee Member

I would get rid of it. It makes your car less functional and is potentially a safety risk. If you like the appearance, look into getting the inside plastic pieces blacked out. Few mods on cars bother me but this is one.

3. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

And how are the headlights at night?

What do the LED DRL's look like?

4. ThatGoogleGuy

ThatGoogleGuy Member

I haven't had a chance to take pictures at night yet, but I'm going out soon to test the visibility during night time driving. So I'll take a couple pictures and post them, also I'll take some tomorrow of the DRL's

5. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#5 wiztecy, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    I'm not a big fan of tinting things that are safety related. Plus its a liability on your behalf. If its a show-car that you trailer, that's a different story. But the tint filters light, that means your headlights will not be as bright on the road, may not see an animal or person that could venture in front of your car that you otherwise would have see with your non-filtered lights. Your daytime running lights may also be "blacked out" or filtered adding another safety hazard. There are laws that make this illegal for that very reason. Same thing with tail-lights which I never understand why people do that. Don't you want people to see when you're braking? God, its hard enough to get people to pay attention as is with bright LED tail-lights and HID headlights alone. If there's an accident that involved your car, for sure a lawyer will tear into this like a wild animal devouring a fresh kill.

It looks great in pictures and in show but in my opinion not the best decision for a street dedicated car.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I am curious as to whether the tint reduces the light output. As I get older, I need much more light on the road at night. But I do love the look.

7. Wattup

Wattup Member

I think it makes the front of the car look heavier. Blacking out the chrome accents at the front may be a better alternative.

8. Firewired

Firewired Member

Me no Likey, from both an aesthetic or safety point of view.

9. MrJones390

MrJones390 Space Boat

Here are pics of my headlights and fog lights with a medium tint. It doesn't seem to affect performance at all.

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

OP- why didn't you do the fog lights?

10. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Seriously? Do you ever wear sunglasses? Of course it reduces light output.

11. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

do not like at all

12. jlucero

jlucero Member

i love it

13. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Dumb idea, IMO. In headlights you need every foot candle you can legally get.

14. ThatGoogleGuy

ThatGoogleGuy Member

Completely forgot they were there until afterwards, the whole thing wasn't thought out too much, just an impulse decision cause I needed to know how it would look. Got them done today though!

20151016_170121.jpg

I really like the look when the car is parked, and I think it will look even better when I get my dark gray wheels. Haven't officially decided if I'm keeping it or not

15. MrJones390

MrJones390 Space Boat

Very cool. Let me know if you get the taillights done -- I'm interested to see how that looks.

16. SouthlakeDad

SouthlakeDad Member

Not a fan. At all, and for all reasons stated previously.

Just my $.02