Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinted windows recommendations. Good place in Austin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, Zaphod!

So I've looked at it from all angles (driver's seat, front passenger's seat, all three reat seats) and it is pretty evenly bad from all positions. Also looked at it from top to bottom and still all bad.

Sunbusters agreed to redo it and I'll schedule with them sometime next week. Best case scenario is that they do it again and it is better and acceptable. Worst case scenario is they remove it and refund my money. The problem with that is my wife and I are very hot natured and have had previous cars with film on front windshields and have come to enjoy it.

Something odd the owner and general manager mentioned is that sometimes it depends on what part of the film roll is used for the installation. If it is the newer part of the roll then they tend to have fewer issues than if it is at the end of the roll.

I'll keep you guys posted on what's what with it.

Thanks, Zaphod!

So I've looked at it from all angles (driver's seat, front passenger's seat, all three reat seats) and it is pretty evenly bad from all positions. Also looked at it from top to bottom and still all bad.

Sunbusters agreed to redo it and I'll schedule with them sometime next week. Best case scenario is that they do it again and it is better and acceptable. Worst case scenario is they remove it and refund my money. The problem with that is my wife and I are very hot natured and have had previous cars with film on front windshields and have come to enjoy it.

Something odd the owner and general manager mentioned is that sometimes it depends on what part of the film roll is used for the installation. If it is the newer part of the roll then they tend to have fewer issues than if it is at the end of the roll.

I'll keep you guys posted on what's what with it.
Glad I could help. Seeing as you say it's pretty consistent no matter where you are looking, sounds like it is/was the film that was added. It's pretty amazing (and annoying) that even the slightest thickness variations can sometimes have a pretty dramatic effect on the visibility. Also, some people's vision is just more susceptible to noticing it.

Another test would be to try polarized sunglasses and see if that improves the fuzziness. Obviously not really a solution to wear sunglasses at night, but just another way to test if it's really "ghosting" or just poor optical quality either in the film itself or from the installation.

Good luck and let us know how the redo goes!

Reactions: mrod1975
Update:

I dropped the car this AM to have the front film redone. I did try polarized glasses a few nights ago and it cleared things up a lot but not to the point of no more ghosting. I'll be sure to report back how the film looks after a few days of curing.

Well, the front windshield redo results in slightly less ghosting. But there is still enough to be distracting so I am strongly considering having them (Sunbusters) remove it. Before taking that step, would anybody be able to meet me when it is dark to compare front windshields? I just want to make sure I'm not being too picky about it and will gladly meet you where convenient to you. (I'm in Pflugerville near the 130 and 45 intersection.)

TIA

Martin

oh really? Looks like I'll find out after I hear back from sun busters. which Xpel Nano Ceramic (black/double black) did you get?

also 25% VLT on all windows, 70% on windshield and none on glass roof seems the way to go?
I have XPEL Prime XR 70% on side and rear windows. Nothing on windshield or roof. I wanted heat rejection but don’t like a dark “tinted” look so 70% was right for me.

Currently it’s the “Stratos” at roughly 60% total energy rejected, pricier and slightly better than “pinnacle”. They have a one option windshield too that’s much lighter. Did you get that?

Tinted windows recommendations. Good place in Austin?

It looks like your Georgetown and I’m a long way away in Bee Cave but if you want to see my S you can PM me.

I used the lakeway location.

I have gone to Sunbusters over the past 10+ years and have always been happy with their work. They warranty their work for life, even if you're the one who scratched the inner film. I've had to replace it once or twice when an umbrella or kid nicked the windows. @TexasEV Does the XPEL Austin shop offer the same kind of warranty? I was definitely considering XPEL and contacted Duane a while back. I think he got back to me, but then I haven't heard since. I may ping him again just to get a good idea of the tint options as well. I like my tint fairly dark, so I'm wondering if the XPEL ceramic is a good option at all, or if I should go with the Llumar stratos from sunbusters.

I got the Stratos 30% and happy with it. Only downside is the white seats don’t pop as much as the did looking in. But the cooler cabin is worth it! I looked at xpel too. They offer lifetime warranty just the same. A little pricier for xpel top of the line. I can PM you the exact quotes if you like from Duane.

XPEL Austin (N. Lamar and 183)
(512) 220-2009‬
[email protected]
Duane's email & their phone #

They have a TMC discount. They did my M S in XPEL Prime XR, all four sides. Looks nice and feels nice now the Texas heat is here.

XPEL has a lifetime of the car warranty, yes. The XPEL web site spells it out.