Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting 2016 MS!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard tesla doesn't recommend tinting the pano roof... its already really tinted.

They don't recommend using anything but water to care for the leather, either.

Sit under the pano roof at about 1pm at 31 degrees latitude and see if you want it tinted then.

Jeez... Are you guys seriously paying these prices?! In Miami I can get a tint job for $400 using 3M brand.

Yep. But you won't get close to the same performance for how light the tint is. Go compare Photosync next to whatever and see for yourself. Better yet, go find you two Model S - one with Photosync and one with whatever or nothing at all.

Two guys in Florida already did this. The delta was over 30 degrees parked side by side. Search the forums for the thread.

My deal is that Photosync doesn't have any independent test results. If you look at their information all for their numbers are from in house testing. Compare that to companies like 3M and Huper Optik and you can see 3rd party verification. Furthermore, even using their in house numbers the performance difference isn't anywhere near the cost difference. The definite premium isn't worth the possible slight advantage IMO.

I received a quote for $200 for carbon at the shop that did my Volt 5 years ago (and still looks great). I am thinking I'll go with that.

Also, Florida lets the rear windows be darker than the driver/passenger. But, I am thinking for look, I'm going to stick with the same darkness all the way around. The Florida sun is brutal. Then, add the humidity . . .

Hey All - I am absolutely shocked at some of the prices being paid for carbon. Stay away from carbon or metallic tint and go with ceramic. Ceramic's performance does not require going extra dark for better performance. I had my side windows and rear done at 35% ceramic. Don't get hung up on the brand. I paid $285 total for Llumar Ceramic. I had Llumar on my last car for 12 years without any bubbles, fade or worn edges. Also, for High Performance Metalized Films, it may interfere with the reception of GPS Navigation, Keyless Entry Devices, Remote Starters, Radar Detectors, Tire Sensors, etc.

And this was the quote I got from Auto Image where Mr.Must him self got his tint done from.. But their first open slot was mid-late July so I decided to get it from else where.

Hi Peter,
The cost to tint the rear half starts from $275-300 depending on brand and grade of film you choose. Add $125-150 for the front 2 doors windows and vents.
We are currently booking appointments the 3rd &4th week of July (weekdays only)

Tinting Laws
In case you are not aware, the driver and front passenger window are not legal to tint in California. Our Llumar air 80%/Suntek Cxp 80% film is the only legal film you can install on the front 2 windows. This is a film that is applied primarily for UV protection and heat. We can tint the two front windows if you want, however, you should be aware that you can get a ticket for any of the shaded film.

Brands of Tint
We carry the top 3 brands of film ranging from good, better and best because of their
optical clarity, heat performance and material they use to process the film. All films blocks out 99% of UV. SunTek Carbon and Cxp Series, 3M color stable films and Llumar CTX ceramic films

Shades of Tint
We have over 15 shades of film to choose from. The best thing if to come down and we can show you the shade and the heat performance of each film.

Warranty
All the films come with a lifetime warranty against bubbling, peeling and fading.

Thank you,
Jeff Tom
Auto Image
188 Old County Rd.
Belmont, CA 94002
(650)631-0559

My recent quotes:
  1. $675 for windows + $395 for wind shield all with Photosync
  2. $475 for Llmar CTX for windows only. Same place as above.
  3. $299 for Llumar CTX for window only from another place.
  4. $399 for Huper Optik from same place as #3 for windows only.
  5. $150 for Llumar Air90 on wind shield from same.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lodo1000
I recently inquired a local business to tiny my brand new 2016 MS that should be here late may. Here is the quote that gave me... 1500 plus tax? is that a good deal or no?

Prestige Spectra PhotoSync Tint

Here's your quote:
- sides and rear $750+tax
- windshield $395+tax
- panoramic roof $350+tax
Jason, got a quote yesterday in Houston. Sides and rear $500, windshield $300 with Prestige Spectra Photosync.

I got the same exact price quote for PhotoSync so I believe it's the same business. Since you're in OC, I called another shop in San Diego that quoted me $650 for sides and rear, $300 for windshield. If that's a viable option for you, PM me and I can give you the name of the business.