Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting advise M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to Tesla awaiting delivery and wondering about how people go about tinting. From my understanding none of the windows (except for the roof) come tinted is that correct? Also do you normally tint the front windshield as well? In the past I normally used to tint the back window, rear passangers with darker color and then the front with lighter tint to avoid pull overs but never did the front windshield.

Also in terms of pricing the place I normally go to told me that Tesla M3 is hard to tint because of certain electronics and size of rear windows so they charge about $500 for all around tint with the more advanced product (I forgot the name). Does that sound reasonable?

Also make sure you have it tinted by a vendor with a lot of experience and that can be trusted. Make sure it is a factory authorized vendor so that they will honor any possible warranty claims and will have appropriate insurance. Do NOT go for a cheapo vendor. It is worth every penny to pay someone experienced and who knows what they are doing.

If you have the windshield tinted, make sure they know what they are doing so that water does not migrate into the electronics in the dash. That would be bad. An experienced, authorized vendor will know the proper technique to prevent this water intrusion from happening.

Reactions: royinla
If $500 is for good tint (atleast ceramic tint) all around, and it's from a good reputable tint shop, it's a good deal. I paid around maybe mid $600 (or $700) for all around + windshield with Suntek CIR Tint with a reputable tint shop.

I have 30% all around, I never got pulled over for tint being too dark, but if you have something say 5% for the front, yeah you might attract some more attention from the cops...

Also make sure you have it tinted by a vendor with a lot of experience and that can be trusted. Make sure it is a factory authorized vendor so that they will honor any possible warranty claims and will have appropriate insurance. Do NOT go for a cheapo vendor. It is worth every penny to pay someone experienced and who knows what they are doing.

If you have the windshield tinted, make sure they know what they are doing so that water does not migrate into the electronics in the dash. That would be bad. An experienced, authorized vendor will know the proper technique to prevent this water intrusion from happening.
Looks like you are in the valley as well. Any recommendations on a place?

If $500 is for good tint (atleast ceramic tint) all around, and it's from a good reputable tint shop, it's a good deal. I paid around maybe mid $600 (or $700) for all around + windshield with Suntek CIR Tint with a reputable tint shop.

I have 30% all around, I never got pulled over for tint being too dark, but if you have something say 5% for the front, yeah you might attract some more attention from the cops...
Any recommended places in LA?

Looks like you are in the valley as well. Any recommendations on a place?

If you are in the SF Valley, look no further than Sunshield Tinting in Sherman Oaks (818) 906-8468 . They have tinted many Model 3's. When I brought mine in for tinting about a year ago, they had several Model 3's in the shop at once. They have a large window where you can watch the technicians at work. They really know how to apply the tint, especially on the large rear window which can be very challenging. I highly recommend them. I had the Xpel Prime XR Plus ceramic tint and am very happy with it. They are authorized Xpel installers.

If you are in the SF Valley, look no further than Sunshield Tinting in Sherman Oaks (818) 906-8468 . They have tinted many Model 3's. When I brought mine in for tinting about a year ago, they had several Model 3's in the shop at once. They have a large window where you can watch the technicians at work. They really know how to apply the tint, especially on the large rear window which can be very challenging. I highly recommend them. I had the Xpel Prime XR Plus ceramic tint and am very happy with it. They are authorized Xpel installers.

Prefect! I used them before for several of my cars but was not sure how familiar they are with M3. Glad to hear. Did you also tint the front windshield?
Also while I have someone here from the Valley - any recommendations for electrician to install a 240 for me? I am not going to use a wall charger but the adapter with the charger coming with the car. Thanks

I've never done a windshield; I'm wary of that, not only due to lots of electronics that can be affected with all the water they have to use (no other way to apply it, no?), but to any optical distortion due to the tint itself, bubbles, and lint that can get trapped with the extreme electrostatic charge of the tint when peeled off, especially in this dusty and windy area. It'd have to be tinted in a clean (paint) room, but no such thing at least where I live. I used to have a tint guy, but he kind of retired going to houses. And if I have to take the car to a shop, better to get the job perfectly. Will travel to Austin on Jan 14-20. Will inquire if there's a great place there. I bought a Porsche there, and used their tint/PPF guy to install Suntek, and it was a horrible job. So any other place but that. Ha ha. Don't remember the name, but if I hear it, I'd know it. If anybody from Austin can vouch for a place from personal experience, I'd greatly appreciate the tip. Thx.

By the way, I always go with 20% on the rear 3 windows, and 35% on the front ones, which is legal in all states, as far as I know. Does the glass roof have to be tinted for hot TX? Or just one of those shields that Tesla sells enough? They're like $80 each, I think (apparently you need 2).

I did 70 in the front(Meaning windshield) and 30 percent for the rest of the car. It came out perfect. I’ve got white seats and you could see through it no problem but it protects the heat. I’ve had them for 2 months now and no issues from LA’s finest. I also used Wincos. The price was a bit on the higher side($1100) but this company, Tint Masters out in Canoga Park has done my cars over the years. This would’ve been my fifth if I’m not mistaken. There work comes with a lifetime warranty. They also took me in in a matter of days. Other places I called said 2-3 weeks. I didn’t want to wait that long.

Last edited:
Prefect! I used them before for several of my cars but was not sure how familiar they are with M3. Glad to hear. Did you also tint the front windshield?
Also while I have someone here from the Valley - any recommendations for electrician to install a 240 for me? I am not going to use a wall charger but the adapter with the charger coming with the car. Thanks

I personally chose not to do the windshield. I found that the heat reduction with tinting everything but the windshield was good enough. Plus I just did not want to take the chance of water getting in the dash. I would trust Sunshield to do it safely, but I personally chose not to do the windshield.

Unfortunately, I do not have a recommendation for an electrician. A friend of mine installed my electrical line, not a professional electrician.

Good luck!

I had my whole car done today. 20 percent all around. 50 on the windshield. Ceramic, lifetime warranty and the rear window is a single piece.

$383 out the door. Could have been nearly half that if I didn't want ceramic. 20201216_163701.jpg 20201216_121957.jpg

I agree with most people about going to a reputable shop. I would go to a place who has a lot of experience even if it is more $$$. I got mine done with 20% all around including the roof and one piece back, and 70% windshield. and I LOVE IT! You can def feel the heat difference with 3M Crystalline tint.

Reactions: XLR82XS
I personally chose not to do the windshield. I found that the heat reduction with tinting everything but the windshield was good enough. Plus I just did not want to take the chance of water getting in the dash. I would trust Sunshield to do it safely, but I personally chose not to do the windshield.

Good luck!
Experienced installer will use a rope-like device in the lower jamb to soak up any water that could potentially drip behind the dash. In my 20+ years of tinting vehicles I've never had an issue with water causing problems - even years ago before installers used the moisture barriers.

FWIW: the heat intrusion in the cabin without windshield tint is substantial. (especially in sunny & hot climates)

Tinting the front window in 70% will appear clear from the outside. No way they will even know its tinted and it helps in blocking the UV. I dod 30% for the rest of the windows but it looks lighter because it has a white interior. Make sure they do the rear window as a single piece and not split.

$700 for all with lifetime warranty.

Which tint film did you go with?