Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting, but not the roof or windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Link? Im researching them right now. Seems like one pice designs sag.
Yes the one piece sunshades for the Tesla Model Y's glass roof all sag to some degree. Some of the one piece sunshades come with magnets and metal disks that you can install to hold up the fabric to reduce the sagging.

The two piece designs have a cross member bar (two actually.) One cross member is at the back end of the front section of the sunshade and a second cross member at the front end of the rear section of the sunshade (once installed this looks like one thicker cross member.)

Take you pick.

Roof sunshade works pretty good.. Picked up a two piece (upgrade version) from Amazon, no sag. blocked sun. And can take it off during winter time.
Thanks for the reply. Can you post/PM the link? Were you finding the roof was just getting too hot? I'm just wondering if nothing but a sunshade will actually cure the heat from the glass roof. I may just wait to do the roof and see how it is here in the Texas summer. After seeing all the metering videos on the roof, I really don't know if any level of tint, even photosync, will cure the heat completely.

I e been using the same one for the past few weeks and it makes a noticeable difference. I am able to run the AC 3-5 degrees warmer than usual and am still comfortable in 90-100 degree weather.

I tinted the roof of our Model S but skipped the expense on the Y because I read about the IR performance of the Y roof and I had some regret on the S because the tint made the roof darker than I’d like.

The two piece sunshade has zero sag and my wife still hasn’t noticed the mesh sunshade but has commented that the “AC is working too well” (due to the roof sunshade keeping the cabin cooler).

Reactions: waittoolong
Thanks for the reply. Can you post/PM the link? Were you finding the roof was just getting too hot? I'm just wondering if nothing but a sunshade will actually cure the heat from the glass roof. I may just wait to do the roof and see how it is here in the Texas summer. After seeing all the metering videos on the roof, I really don't know if any level of tint, even photosync, will cure the heat completely.
Without shade, I can barely touch the top after driving for 20 minutes.

I e been using the same one for the past few weeks and it makes a noticeable difference. I am able to run the AC 3-5 degrees warmer than usual and am still comfortable in 90-100 degree weather.

I tinted the roof of our Model S but skipped the expense on the Y because I read about the IR performance of the Y roof and I had some regret on the S because the tint made the roof darker than I’d like.

The two piece sunshade has zero sag and my wife still hasn’t noticed the mesh sunshade but has commented that the “AC is working too well” (due to the roof sunshade keeping the cabin cooler).

This is exactly what I'm thinking on my Model 3. I think I'm going to skip the roof tint to start.

Without shade, I can barely touch the top after driving for 20 minutes.

Oh boy haha

Thanks to you all for the replies. I had the four door windows and the hatchback window done today within my state's legal limits. Did not do the roof.

That said, the roof does get pretty hot to the touch down here in the strong Louisiana sun. Nothing that will actually burn you, but definitely uncomfortable to hold your hand against it for an extended period of time.

If the roof is a 1%-5% UV-blocking/heat-rejecting tint, I guess there is not more to be done about it other than buy a sun shade. I just don't love the look of those, though.......
Hey there, getting my M3 tinted today and trying to decide about the roof. Are you happy with your choice? Or wish you would have tinted it?

Context purposes I live in AZ so gets super hot here.

Thanks to you all for the replies. I had the four door windows and the hatchback window done today within my state's legal limits. Did not do the roof.

That said, the roof does get pretty hot to the touch down here in the strong Louisiana sun. Nothing that will actually burn you, but definitely uncomfortable to hold your hand against it for an extended period of time.

If the roof is a 1%-5% UV-blocking/heat-rejecting tint, I guess there is not more to be done about it other than buy a sun shade. I just don't love the look of those, though.......
That sounds like the roof is actually a ~50+ C radiator and convection heater for the cabin.

Hey there, getting my M3 tinted today and trying to decide about the roof. Are you happy with your choice? Or wish you would have tinted it?

Context purposes I live in AZ so gets super hot here.

I've heard that tinting the roof does little to nothing. There is already a heat rejection application on the roof from the factory so any additional tint will only add marginal benefit in terms of heat rejection. For all the other windows, definitely tint but seems to me a sunshade is a better solution for the roof.

I have lots of experience with HOT weather. It's been 113° here the last few days, and will continue to be hot for another couple months. Yes, the glass roof is very good at rejecting heat. If you ever touch the roof glass on a hot day, you will experience something only a little bit less than a burn on your finger. And while the glass roof does reject much of the heat, there is still some heat that gets through.

I ended up buying a two-piece solar screen for the roof, and this has worked out very well. There is zero sag, and the two middle crossmembers do not bother me at all. It's not a huge difference, but it does help. And I suspect it helps most by not allowing so much heat soak on hot days.

What I've found that helps the most is a front windshield screen that I bought. It totally keeps the front dash from frying when the car is parked. Otherwise top the steering wheel is literally too hot to touch after sitting on a hot day.

My next step will be to have Xpel ceramic film installed on the front/rear side windows and the rear hatch window.

I have lots of experience with HOT weather. It's been 113° here the last few days, and will continue to be hot for another couple months. Yes, the glass roof is very good at rejecting heat. If you ever touch the roof glass on a hot day, you will experience something only a little bit less than a burn on your finger. And while the glass roof does reject much of the heat, there is still some heat that gets through.

I ended up buying a two-piece solar screen for the roof, and this has worked out very well. There is zero sag, and the two middle crossmembers do not bother me at all. It's not a huge difference, but it does help. And I suspect it helps most by not allowing so much heat soak on hot days.

What I've found that helps the most is a front windshield screen that I bought. It totally keeps the front dash from frying when the car is parked. Otherwise top the steering wheel is literally too hot to touch after sitting on a hot day.

My next step will be to have Xpel ceramic film installed on the front/rear side windows and the rear hatch window.
Installing 70% (barely noticeable) Xpel film on the windshield will help reduce the heat load on the AC while driving.

Reactions: Kimmi and TheLex
For you California folks who installed tint on the windshield I presume you had to wait till after you got your registration and could take the temp sticker off the windshield. Do you know how long that took after pickup?
You generally get the license plates and registration stickers in the mail a few weeks after receiving a new vehicle, usually no more than 3 or 4 weeks.

Reactions: rlzalusky
First, when you are having a Tesla tinted anywhere on the vehicle, you want to make sure the shop is familiar with the Tesla. Tesla has soft glass, so you want to make sure they are using a plotter (except for the roof glass and the windshield). Roof glass and windshield can be cut using the method in this video that protects the glass but allows for a super accurate cut.

Generally speaking, you want a very light ceramic film with 90% + heat rejection. I would use an 80% VLT film.

Several companies out there with ultra-high-end films will reject 95% plus of the heat while still preserving your view. There is a lot of information coming out that you can increase your range because the cooling system does not work as hard.

Thanks. The ceramic film sales pitches claim that IR is reflected, but that's probably an exageration if the videos you've seen show the glass heating up (which means IR is getting absorbed, no reflected). In any case, good to know that it doesn't contribute meaningfully to heating the cabin. You just saved me a good chunk of money!
The tint shop I used had tools to measure IR/UV. On a bright spring day very little was getting through, something like 3%. He was willing to tint the roof but said I was wasting my money.

He also said people think heat is coming from the roof but it’s really the windshield. I tinted everything except the roof.

Hey thanks for info. I too am not a fan of tickets!!! hahahaha
Use a Super Light tint on the winshield. No one is going to notice, heat and UV rejection is pretty high.

IMG_0880.png

If film size is an issue they can’t do the back glass either. No?
I hesitate to get into brands, but your upper-end brands like Ceramic Pro Elite dealers will have 60" film in IR and Ultimate IR that can cover the windshield or roof glass in a single piece. Most of the time, you can get by with 40% on the windshield.