Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting front windshield: 50% or 70%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to tint my front windshield (with the right precautions to protect against water damage). The said they can do Llumar Stratos 50% which has a somewhat grey/charcoal color, which would match the side tint and contrast well against the pearl white.

The other option is Llumar Stratos 70% which has a blue hue (bleh).

Does anyone know if 50% really hinders your view at night? What about in the rain, at night? Is the 70% way too blue?

Has anyone done 70%?
XPEL 75 does great. I don’t notice any issues at night. Does a great job with heat rejection. From the outside it looks a little dark but from inside it’s fine.

Attachments

• D046C8D6-7D87-4A4E-9CA9-FB3370AE477A.jpeg
    D046C8D6-7D87-4A4E-9CA9-FB3370AE477A.jpeg
    636.6 KB · Views: 16,451
Photosync 75 is essentially invisible, cuts glare markedly, and heat as well. I won't have another windshield without it.

On the outside, C-Bond Nanoshield has held up well. It's a periodic coating (12-18 months with a 12-month warranty) and, for what it's worth with a sample size of 1, after picking up 2 stars in the first 6 weeks of ownership, I haven't gotten another one since adding the coating. That could change tomorrow, but so far, so good.

I have 70% on my windshield (Suntek CIR) and 35% all around. You can't even tell I have the windshield tinted and visibility inside is essentially invisible.

View attachment 333401
Looks terrific. I've never tinted my glass, but the sheer size of the windshield and the occasional afternoon westerly driving I've done in my 3 has me rethinking that position. The film is applied to the interior I suppose, and 70% is a reference to how much of the natural light still penetrates or something like that? What I want is reduced heat from the sun, coming through the windshield.

I think the concept of tinting the windows darker than the windshield is pretty genius, since the difference makes it look like the windshield is not tinted. Well played.

Reactions: follow.johnny
Looks terrific. I've never tinted my glass, but the sheer size of the windshield and the occasional afternoon westerly driving I've done in my 3 has me rethinking that position. The film is applied to the interior I suppose, and 70% is a reference to how much of the natural light still penetrates or something like that? What I want is reduced heat from the sun, coming through the windshield.

I think the concept of tinting the windows darker than the windshield is pretty genius, since the difference makes it look like the windshield is not tinted. Well played.

Thanks! And yes, the film is applied to the inside of the front windshield and make sure you get "ceramic tint" for the front since that is whats going to help reduce the heat and block UV/IR rays from the sun so this will help keep your interior cooler.

It's also important to choose an installer that has experience tinting the model 3 windshield and to ensure they cover up the entire dash to protect the electronic parts/screen from any water/moisture during the install.