TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tinting front windshield: 50% or 70%?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by ProtonSF, Sep 7, 2018.

1. ProtonSF

ProtonSF Member

I'm about to tint my front windshield (with the right precautions to protect against water damage). The said they can do Llumar Stratos 50% which has a somewhat grey/charcoal color, which would match the side tint and contrast well against the pearl white.

The other option is Llumar Stratos 70% which has a blue hue (bleh).

Does anyone know if 50% really hinders your view at night? What about in the rain, at night? Is the 70% way too blue?

2. JayNJ

JayNJ Member

That sounds really dark for a windshield. Most states don't allow anything but clear. Even 70% is pushing it.

3. ProtonSF

ProtonSF Member

Has anyone done 70%?

4. DVS484

DVS484 Member

Yes can't really tell just has a blueish color, I considered 50% but I have the white interior so even 20 on the sides doesn't look that dark.

• Like x 1
  5. EVS Motors

EVS Motors Vendor

• Helpful x 1
  6. ppower

ppower Member

I have 70%. You can't tell it is tinted, but it is on there for the heat reflection properties. I wouldn't go to 50%. My sides are 40%, and I roll them down a bit when necessary.

7. bottomsup

bottomsup Member

i did 55 in my old car and liked it. no problems at night. everyone noticed it though so if you are trying to be inconspicuous you may want to avoid. it's very illegal.

8. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

XPEL 75 does great. I don’t notice any issues at night. Does a great job with heat rejection. From the outside it looks a little dark but from inside it’s fine.

Attached Files:

9. gtmotor

gtmotor Member

I have 70% on my windshield. I think 50% will get you pulled over a lot. IMG_20180514_190504.jpg

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  10. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Photosync 75 is essentially invisible, cuts glare markedly, and heat as well. I won't have another windshield without it.

On the outside, C-Bond Nanoshield has held up well. It's a periodic coating (12-18 months with a 12-month warranty) and, for what it's worth with a sample size of 1, after picking up 2 stars in the first 6 weeks of ownership, I haven't gotten another one since adding the coating. That could change tomorrow, but so far, so good.

11. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

20180907_162058.jpg I went with 3M Crystalline 70% on windshield, and 50% all around. It's light, but I wanted something different this time around.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 2
  12. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

This is exactly what I’m looking to do. Can’t even tell that windshield is tinted. Love it!

• Like x 1
  13. ProtonSF

ProtonSF Member

This looks very nice. The blue hue on the film goes very well with the blue car. My car is pearl white, though, and a blue hue wouldn't look nearly as good as charcoal or black.

14. chowfun

chowfun Member

I have the same tints, but black interior. White interior makes it look like no tints at all.

15. HelloJohnny

HelloJohnny Member

I have 70% on my windshield (Suntek CIR) and 35% all around. You can't even tell I have the windshield tinted and visibility inside is essentially invisible.

Sept_8.jpg

• Like x 2
  16. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

Looks terrific. I've never tinted my glass, but the sheer size of the windshield and the occasional afternoon westerly driving I've done in my 3 has me rethinking that position. The film is applied to the interior I suppose, and 70% is a reference to how much of the natural light still penetrates or something like that? What I want is reduced heat from the sun, coming through the windshield.

I think the concept of tinting the windows darker than the windshield is pretty genius, since the difference makes it look like the windshield is not tinted. Well played.

• Like x 1
  17. HelloJohnny

HelloJohnny Member

Thanks! And yes, the film is applied to the inside of the front windshield and make sure you get "ceramic tint" for the front since that is whats going to help reduce the heat and block UV/IR rays from the sun so this will help keep your interior cooler.

It's also important to choose an installer that has experience tinting the model 3 windshield and to ensure they cover up the entire dash to protect the electronic parts/screen from any water/moisture during the install.

• Helpful x 2
  18. MarkinArch

MarkinArch 1st S.A.TX Non Owner TM3 Delivery

Does tinting the windshield create the rainbow effect when wearing polarized sunglasses?

19. ProtonSF

ProtonSF Member

I just got mine tinted with Llumar Air 80 - nano ceramic. I see the slightest amount of rainbow with polarized glasses, but not much.

20. tesababa

tesababa Member

Protonsf: where are you planning t get your tint done? I live in SF too and am thinking about it!