Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting Front Windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Xpel tint cause any rainbows with polarized glasses? I want to get it installed but worried about that... but then again maybe don't need sun glasses anymore??

Also, anyone in a state that installs vehicle registration stickers on the front windshield? Curious what you do about that?

I had the same concern regarding "rainbows with polarized" glasses. I have the 70% Xpel and I notice a very slight rainbow effect towards the upper portion of the windshield, but it's not something that's crazy obvious. I have no rainbow effect in the center or lower portion of the windshield at all. So far I love the tint on the windshield for heat reduction....it's pretty noticeable in Southern California summer heat.

Had mine tinted and ran into the rainbow problem with the polarized sunglasses I was using. Looked all over for a not so expensive pair to try that was not polarized and finally found a pair at Walmart. I got a light grey tint with mirror finish on the outside for all of $10. Keep those in the car for driving, and yes it eliminated the rainbow effect. Am going back to get a couple more just to have on hand in the car. The lighter tint also made it easier to see and read the display. Also had the windshield tinted in S9 50% ceramic and it cut the heat drastically. Just that alone keeps the car no higher than 101 degrees even here in the Las Vegas heat. Am taking it back to get the driver and passenger side windows done as well.

Doesn't windshield tint go on the inside?

Where I live the sticker is on the inside of the front windshield :( So every year they scrape the old ones off and stick on new ones.. but if the tint is there it will damage the tint as they take it on and off... probably could come up with some type of clear plastic holder for it, maybe use a badge holder and just have them stick it to that or something, then find a way to mount the badge holder safely so it can be taken on and off every year.

Where I live the sticker is on the inside of the front windshield :( So every year they scrape the old ones off and stick on new ones.. but if the tint is there it will damage the tint as they take it on and off... probably could come up with some type of clear plastic holder for it, maybe use a badge holder and just have them stick it to that or something, then find a way to mount the badge holder safely so it can be taken on and off every year.

I had my MY tinted 2 weeks ago from a highly reputable shop in the Philly suburbs who I also used for my MS back in 2017. All glass tinted except windshield and roof. Front windows= 15%, rear windows and hatch= 50% over Tesla privacy glass. See pics.

Tint 2.jpg
Tint 1.jpg

I'm scheduled to have my windshield done next week (leaning towards 50% ceramic) because with white interior the sun is reflects strong which slightly weakens the "darkness" of my front windows. The shop brought up the fact that they usually don't recommend tinting Tesla windshields because of the "dripping damage" that could potentially occur to the dashboard area during the application. Has anyone else had a tint shop bring this up? Any problems from anyone who had their windshield done already? Nearly ever member here it seems has had little to no problems with windshield tinting.

As for how to safely apply state inspection and/or emissions stickers to the inside of your windshield, I bought this from Amazon after reading a few good posts from others about it working well. Check it out here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01466E0GS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: SMC-tx
I had my MY tinted 2 weeks ago from a highly reputable shop in the Philly suburbs who I also used for my MS back in 2017. All glass tinted except windshield and roof. Front windows= 15%, rear windows and hatch= 50% over Tesla privacy glass. See pics.

View attachment 566196 View attachment 566195
I'm scheduled to have my windshield done next week (leaning towards 50% ceramic) because with white interior the sun is reflects strong which slightly weakens the "darkness" of my front windows. The shop brought up the fact that they usually don't recommend tinting Tesla windshields because of the "dripping damage" that could potentially occur to the dashboard area during the application. Has anyone else had a tint shop bring this up? Any problems from anyone who had their windshield done already? Nearly ever member here it seems has had little to no problems with windshield tinting.

As for how to safely apply state inspection and/or emissions stickers to the inside of your windshield, I bought this from Amazon after reading a few good posts from others about it working well. Check it out here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01466E0GS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can't speak too much towards the windshield water issue, but a good shop should be able to do it without water leaking in. Have seen videos online, basically have to absorb the water properly...

As for the sticker issue, thanks for that link, think I'll get those regardless, hate the residue left behind!

Where did you get this done? I am not too far from
Philly and looking for another place. I just got a white MY and trying to decide between tints, wraps, wheels, etc. I like the pictures and the tints/wheels!

This is an old thread but because someone else bumped it and OP is also in Vegas, I will say that I had 70% added to mine and wish I would have gone darker but I had STEK Nex Series film installed and the next tier was 45%, which I thought would have probably been a bit too dark considering I have 15% on the sides.

I wear polarized lenses and can only see rainbows in certain angles.

I had 70% XPEL put on yesterday. I’m picking it up later today! I live in SoCal and the summer heat is starting to crank up. I’ve never added tint to the windshield of any car before so I’m hoping that I notice a significant difference. My tint shop provided me with a loaner a Model 3 and it has the 70% tint on the windshield. I like the cockpit view so far and believe it’s reduced heat while parked in the sun.
Do you have an update after Summer? Did you notice any difference in terms of heat reduction? Reason why I am asking is I still have my sides tinted but noticed I am still getting sun burned from either the sunroof or windshield

I'm near Philly too, did you find a place to pass inspection with the windshield tint? I've got 70% on there but every place around me won't pass me with it