Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting front windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a black obsidian model s on order
I will be getting window tinting on the back and side windows for sure - leaning towards Wincos at the moment

I'm also considering doing the front windshield also, possibly with LLumar AIR80 - got a quote of 180 from a very reputable shop for that

I have 2 questions

1) for anyone that has the front tinted, do you feel it was worth it? Did you get a noticeable reduction in heat?

2) I'm in California. Has anyone had any problems with fix it tickets or getting stoppped with the front windshield tinted in this type of nearly clear film

I do recommend looking into spectra photo sync as well. It offers far superior performance to the other options available on the market, in addition it is very optically clear so when looking through there is little to no distortion.

We are certified installers of Spectra Photosync for the San Diego/Southern California area, if you'd like to drop by the shop I can show you the performance first hand so you can see for yourself!

Windshield tint makes a remarkable difference. I tinted it immediately after delivery..had to replace windshield due to crack, and that's when lack of tint was very noticeable. Tinted new windshield immediately.
Also notice not using sun glasses as often. Downside is slight vision color discoloration

i did AIR80 on ours the day after delivery. good heat rejection, and reduces glare by a lot. there is some slight discoloration during certain times of the day with polarized sunglasses. but overall it's been great. we did not tint our first Model S and didn't think it was a big deal, but maybe i'm not that heat sensitive. but the glare reduction alone on a bright day is worth it.

The Tesla Model S windshield is one of the larger glasses for a luxury sedan. This also mean it allows quite a bit of IR (infrared radiation), which is why Teslas are known to get quite hot during those summer months. For heat rejection purposes, Spectra PhotoSync is the best out there. For those on a slight budget, then we recommend looking into CeraLuxe Quantum Ceramic, which is also made by Prestige Film Technologies. Both films will give you the best heat rejection possible.

I'm in Los Angeles and had all my windows tinted including my front windshield with Spectra Photosync. The front windshield was the lightest shade at only SPH75 but I feel like it helps tremendously with heat rejection. This is the first time I've tinted the front windshield and I would never go back.

I am out in west LA and Santa Monica often and haven't had any problems from law enforcement about my tint. I do have tan interior which, I believe, helps reduce the awareness of tint being present.