Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting IR, VL, UV v TSER

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For MY I want some visible tinting, protect against UV, and keep the car a little bit cooler. I plan on a professional installation with a good quality ceramic tent. I'm trying to understand how the tints tend to work vs. infrared (IR), visible light (VL), and ultraviolet (UV) wavelengths and how this impacts heating.

1. What wavelengths do the factory installed smoked glass on the roof and back block? I think they mostly block visible light only, correct?

2. For different levels of visible light transmitted (VLT) how does this impact the transmission of IR and UV? For example, if I get an 85% VLT does that also mean I'm getting 85% IR? Or can percentage of IR, VL, and UV all be independently controlled?

3. I've read many of the tints can block most UV even if they're not blocking VL. So even if I don't want to change the aesthetics of the roof and rear it still might make sense to add UV only tinting - is this correct?

4. In terms of interior heat do IR, VL and UV all contribute roughly equally to total solar energy rejection (TSER) and thus all contribute roughly equally to temperature increase?

The following puts IR/VL/UV/TSER into context, especially in terms of total solar energy rejected. The inference was that IR/VL/UV each contribute equally to heat but I wanted to see if I'm reading that right.

Thank you!!

The glass roof is factory tinted, treated to reject IR and UV. You can add an inside ceramic tint for additional rejection and tinting but will also want to use an interior sun shade.

The rear windows, hatch are darkened for privacy but not specifically treated to reject UV and IR.

All laminated glass will filter UV to some extent. The windshield, roof and now the front windows are made with laminated glass.

Tinting Model Y Roof

The glass roof is factory tinted, treated to reject IR and UV. You can add an inside ceramic tint for additional rejection and tinting but will also want to use an interior sun shade.

The rear windows, hatch are darkened for privacy but not specifically treated to reject UV and IR.

All laminated glass will filter UV to some extent. The windshield, roof and now the front windows are made with laminated glass.

Tinting Model Y Roof
Thank you very much!

I've always just referred to the TSER value when deciding on a tint. The higher the TSER, the better the heat rejection basically.

For the glass roof, I decided to go with a two-piece solar shade. It works great at keeping the sun off my head during out 100° plus summers.