Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting Model Y Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done it? What percentage?

Without tint is anyone finding the sun annoying?

I have not, but was thinking about it. I did get windshield done with 3M Crystalline, the rest with 3M CS. I didn't have the car long enough probably to be able to say if it made much difference, but I am definitely not feeling heat coming in excessively - if at all. The reason I did not get the roof done is I saw a Youtube video where someone tested the BTU transmission through the glass roof (on a Model S, but I imagine they've used the same if not better on the 3 and Y) and it was over 99% efficient at blocking it...

I think the windshield is more important probably to do then the roof. So much heat comes through the windshield vs the roof.
Yes that was my thinking. The car definitely absorbs heat fairly quickly, i.e. when in my garage out of direct sun, the temperature rises quite quickly (though I have never had a car where I can view the interior temperature so don't have a point of reference), but as heat rises, I should think will escape through the roof but not sure if it is designed to do so - i.e. allow heat to transfer only one way?

I did Formula One Pinnacle 35% on all windows and the roof, Formula One Air Blu 80% on the windshield. I've done 3M Crystalline on several cars in the past but I actually like the Formula One products better I think - tried on the advice of my shop, who does both. If I was in Canada like the OP it wouldn't be such an issue but here in Tucson or anywhere down south it's a must. I also got the sunshade for the roof as it really helps and I can take it off when it cools down.

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA
Has anyone done it? What percentage?

Without tint is anyone finding the sun annoying?

20% roof, 30% forward side windows, and 70% windshield.

Was too bright with just stock roof tint, better now with 20% film - less heat coming through also.

See pictures - compare sunlight through side and roof:
20200512_171057.jpg
20200512_171311.jpg

I tinted the roof on my Model 3, and then got a sunshade as well. I never liked how much I felt like I was in a fishbowl with everyone able to see in super easily. I was hoping 35% tint on the roof and sides would make things better, and it certainly made a big difference, but I ended up adding the sunshade as it was still too bright and my infant son was being blinded by the sun coming through the roof.

Knowing what I do now I wouldn't have paid extra for a single piece of film for the big back window in the 3, and would have saved the money and had them do 2 smaller pieces, as I was just going to cover it with a sunshade anyways.

• Helpful
Reactions: EVNation
I put 60% ceramic on the windshield and 30% all the way around including the roof on my model 3 and am going to do the same with my model Y. In overhead bright sun holding my hand about 6 inches from the roof felt very warm but after the ceramic was applied the heat from the roof was significantly reduced. I think it will also save energy by reducing the effort needed by the heat pump to keep the car cool in the summer.

We hope to take delivery soon. On day of delivery we will drop it off for front Clear-Bra and all glass tent, front, back, all side windows, and roof. At same time they will cover computer screen and center console with non-glare. When job done our MY will go to get Ceramic-Pro coating on all the rest of the surfaces. Easier for installer to do the paint correction than waiting for a time of driving around for a while. Not sure of the percentages but the installer is supposed to be giving us the best product. I will update after the install and we know all the numbers.

We hope to take delivery soon. On day of delivery we will drop it off for front Clear-Bra and all glass tent, front, back, all side windows, and roof. At same time they will cover computer screen and center console with non-glare. When job done our MY will go to get Ceramic-Pro coating on all the rest of the surfaces. Easier for installer to do the paint correction than waiting for a time of driving around for a while. Not sure of the percentages but the installer is supposed to be giving us the best product. I will update after the install and we know all the numbers.

Sounds like you’ve got an expensive day ahead of you

Damn It's just a car. Lol

Yes, but with the MS we waited a couple of months to get it done and was told that the sooner we get it done the less damage needs to be fixed before the coating. This way it will all be done the earliest possible and since we would eventually have done it anyway, better sooner than later.

And yes, it is a bit pricey, but so is the car.

Reactions: WattsHappening