Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting Model Y Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What kind of film did they use, and how much did it run you, if you don't mind me asking? I'm in LA and looking to have that exact same tint done.

I picked Global, but he has others like Llumar, 3M, etc: Car Window Tinting Near Me|Auto Glass Tinting|Global Window Films

The guy does mobile - comes to your garage to do the tint. He did a good job, recommended by Tesla SC manager. He is from South Bay, Mar 310-266-0563. He's ok with referral but said no pricing. He gave me a decent, lower price compared to what I paid for my Model 3.

The tint job was good. I will find him for my next car (plate will be ZYBRTRX haha :eek:).

Does anyone have shots of a tinted roof at night? The pics from the post below were very helpful, and I'm wondering how much you can actually see through after the sun goes down.

20% roof, 30% forward side windows, and 70% windshield.

Was too bright with just stock roof tint, better now with 20% film - less heat coming through also.

See pictures - compare sunlight through side and roof:
View attachment 552079 View attachment 552081

I did 20% suntek on the sides and a clear ceramic on the front. Made a huge difference here in Houston. Didn’t do the roof as it’s already UV blocking from the factory. But another layer would def add more UV protection.

Ceramic tint is a must for a Tesla. You wouldn’t leave your phone in the heat to bake. I think that’s why Tesla turns on the cabin overheat protection by default.

I'm confused on the idea of the colored glass vs. tint.

Is there UV protection in the rear's colored glass? It seems the majority of users are saying they only tinted the front to "match" the back, but does the heat reduction match when you do this? If not, can you tint over the rear glass?

I'm confused on the idea of the colored glass vs. tint.

Is there UV protection in the rear's colored glass? It seems the majority of users are saying they only tinted the front to "match" the back, but does the heat reduction match when you do this? If not, can you tint over the rear glass?

I can’t speak to if Tesla has color or factory tint but our installer recommended 20% on the two front windows then 70% on the rear so that it became a uniform look. We also did 70% on the windshield to help take the edge of from the Sun here in Las Vegas, I doubt anyone could tell it’s there. We still use a sun shade when parked, we’ve used the Heat Shield brand for our cars over the years living in the desert, both the fold & rolled style, they hold up well to the wear/tear of going up & down daily.

I’ll upload the receipt for what we paid here in Vegas.

Heat Shield - Windshield Sun Shades, Car Window Shades and Car Window Covers by HeatShield: The Original Windshield Sun Shade

B79C2B3D-235B-491C-8502-1854CC07B8DF.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue