Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting Model Y Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did 35% Xpel XR plus. I feel very little heat now and still see the blazing sun overhead and have that open feel in the daytime. Now the only place I feel heat is sun through the windshield. I'm tall with my head near the roof. I still get some hot air accumulation (that glass still gets hot) and need to aim my vents up a bit to move the air.

It's a must on Tesla.. We did 20% 3m Crystalline on front windows and roof, 70% on windshield, back and trunk. We did a road trip from NJ to ME before the tint in Sept and it does make a difference with heat rejection!

I did it on my Tesla, I’m from NJ & I got the roof done 60% 3M Crystalline & the front windshield 70% 3M Crystalline

Did you do the fronts? Your in NJ and I was curious

I have not, but was thinking about it. I did get windshield done with 3M Crystalline, the rest with 3M CS. I didn't have the car long enough probably to be able to say if it made much difference, but I am definitely not feeling heat coming in excessively - if at all. The reason I did not get the roof done is I saw a Youtube video where someone tested the BTU transmission through the glass roof (on a Model S, but I imagine they've used the same if not better on the 3 and Y) and it was over 99% efficient at blocking it...
I just got my model y and it’s hot from roof glass

I had my MS done and it made a huge difference. XPEL 75% all the way around except for front side windows and windshield. 25%. The interior temps dropped from 140° to 110° in Florida August heat. Then Cabin heat protection was able to bring it down to 105°.

The guy who did mine said it met all specs in all 50 sates except NJ which forbids all aftermarket tinting. I verified that but found NJSP do not impound out of state people passing through but may do an add-on ticket when stopped for speeding or other traffic violations.

I do not see the rainbow effect through the windshield, although the one negative is the windshield has a slight blue haze tint that I complained about and the applicator said that is one problem that comes with the film. I got used to it and don't mind it anymore. The heat blocking is worth it that one issue to me. YMMV.

I plan to do the same when I get a MY LR soon as our second car. Tinting as well as the wrap on front and Ceramic Pro. Well worth the cost, IMO.

The guy who did mine said it met all specs in all 50 sates except NJ which forbids all aftermarket tinting.
That's not strictly true - you can tint rear window and rear side windows, just not front side or windshield here in NJ. I assume roof is ok as it isn't specifically called out, and isn't a visibility issue anyway. That said, folks around here do have front side windows tinted, as did my younger son on his Jetta for years with no issues. And no inspection issue since all they check is emissions.

Reactions: TravelFree
That's not strictly true - you can tint rear window and rear side windows, just not front side or windshield here in NJ. I assume roof is ok as it isn't specifically called out, and isn't a visibility issue anyway. That said, folks around here do have front side windows tinted, as did my younger son on his Jetta for years with no issues. And no inspection issue since all they check is emissions.
Are you going by your luck or by an actual reference?

Here's what I found and it matches what my guy who did mine said but he missed a couple other states that also forbid any tinting. This reference may be out of date so I would like to see yours in case I need something while traveling.

Are you going by your luck or by an actual reference?

Here's what I found and it matches what my guy who did mine said but he missed a couple other states that also forbid any tinting. This reference may be out of date so I would like to see yours in case I need something while traveling.

You would not have an issue driving through the state as your vehicle is registered in FL (I assume) and therefore governed by the laws of that state.

Reactions: TravelFree