Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting Model Y Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did 3M ceramic high performance tint on my new Model Y.

I did the side windows, pano glass roof and front windscreen. Side windows 30%, windscreen 70% and 20% on the glass roof. BEST decision ever. I drove it 2 days w/o tinting and the heat coming in from the glass roof and windscreen was boiling hot. Now, it is cool, darker (but still plenty of light) and the A/C works even better!

Tinting the roof and windshield are IMO the most important. Of course I like the look of the darker side glass, but having no heat come in from the roof and windshield is heaven!!
Let’s see some pics!

Reactions: Deutsch100
I did the side windows, pano glass roof and front windscreen. Side windows 30%, windscreen 70% and 20% on the glass roof. BEST decision ever. I drove it 2 days w/o tinting and the heat coming in from the glass roof and windscreen was boiling hot. Now, it is cool, darker (but still plenty of light) and the A/C works even better!

I had my car tinted last week with Xpel Prime XR+ in pretty much the same darkness. I did 70% on the windshield, all of the back windows & rear hatch, 20% on the sunroof, and 30% on the front doors.

The 20% roof tint makes the interior pretty dark, especially with black interior, and it makes the factory tint even darker looking. It also makes the 30% front windows look like 20% without tinting the sunroof. In retrospect, I may have gone with 35% for the sunroof to let a little bit more light in, but I don't mind the darkness and it definitely keeps the car cool. Drove it around the 100+ degree So Cal weather this weekend and even had it parked at the rooftop mall parking lot where it was 98 degrees for a couple of hours. Turned the AC on for like 5 min during our walk back to the car, and it was completely cooled down inside by the time I opened up the door.

I'll take some more pictures when I have some time this week and after I wash my car (letting the Xpel Fusion ceramic coat cure before I wash it), but here's a quick pic I took after getting the Xpel PPF, tint, and ceramic coating on my car. I'll also take some more pics of the inside to show how dark it really is, but from the other pic below you can see that the sunroof is pretty dark in comparison to the rest of the windows. From the outside, the tint is dark enough to where you can't see stuff on the seats, but light enough to easily see people inside the car when you're 10ft away from it.

Driveway.jpg

Sunroof-Tint-Kids.jpg

I had my car tinted last week with Xpel Prime XR+ in pretty much the same darkness. I did 70% on the windshield, all of the back windows & rear hatch, 20% on the sunroof, and 30% on the front doors.

The 20% roof tint makes the interior pretty dark, especially with black interior, and it makes the factory tint even darker looking. It also makes the 30% front windows look like 20% without tinting the sunroof. In retrospect, I may have gone with 35% for the sunroof to let a little bit more light in, but I don't mind the darkness and it definitely keeps the car cool. Drove it around the 100+ degree So Cal weather this weekend and even had it parked at the rooftop mall parking lot where it was 98 degrees for a couple of hours. Turned the AC on for like 5 min during our walk back to the car, and it was completely cooled down inside by the time I opened up the door.

I'll take some more pictures when I have some time this week and after I wash my car (letting the Xpel Fusion ceramic coat cure before I wash it), but here's a quick pic I took after getting the Xpel PPF, tint, and ceramic coating on my car. I'll also take some more pics of the inside to show how dark it really is, but from the other pic below you can see that the sunroof is pretty dark in comparison to the rest of the windows. From the outside, the tint is dark enough to where you can't see stuff on the seats, but light enough to easily see people inside the car when you're 10ft away from it.

Driveway.jpg

Sunroof-Tint-Kids.jpg
LOOKS so good! My car looks just like yours! Congrats on the tinting too. It makes all the difference!!

Driveway.jpg

Sunroof-Tint-Kids.jpg
We have the white seats and did 20% on the fronts, 70% rear, 20% hatch, 40% windshield and 20% roof. You can still see thru a decent amount but I think it is because of the white seats. Your car looks sharp! I did the XPEL Stealth for PPF.

For those worried about tinting the pano glass roof in our Model Ys...it makes a huge difference. Not only does it make the cabin noticeably cooler, but in bright weather driving, it is so much more comfortable and easier on the eyes.

My SA at our Tesla sales center told me more customers tint the glass roof than do not tint. He said (knock on wood) not a single car that he has sold in over 5 years has had any problems with tinting any glass roof panels, and where we live....June-Oct most days are 95-110F. I cannot imagine not having ceramic tint on the glass roof or windshield. I drove without tinting for about 2 days and I was miserable.

For those worried about tinting the pano glass roof in our Model Ys...it makes a huge difference. Not only does it make the cabin noticeably cooler, but in bright weather driving, it is so much more comfortable and easier on the eyes.

My SA at our Tesla sales center told me more customers tint the glass roof than do not tint. He said (knock on wood) not a single car that he has sold in over 5 years has had any problems with tinting any glass roof panels, and where we live....June-Oct most days are 95-110F. I cannot imagine not having ceramic tint on the glass roof or windshield. I drove without tinting for about 2 days and I was miserable.
did you have any of your side windows and rear tinted without the glass roof tinted? Or was it all stock?

From that YT video, the glass roof seems to protect a lot of heat coming through.

The windshield appears to be the biggest problem with heat.

I'm planning on just doing the side windows and rear. Debating on the windshield.

did you have any of your side windows and rear tinted without the glass roof tinted? Or was it all stock?

From that YT video, the glass roof seems to protect a lot of heat coming through.

I'm planning on just doing the side windows and rear. Debating on the windshield.

The windshield makes a huge difference. I have crystalline 90 on one car and crystalline 70 on my wife's windshield. There's still a lot of heat through the 90 but it's bearable. I had a car without any sort of tint and it was uncomfortable sitting at stop lights. Would recommend going 70% though as the 70% feels like it blocks almost as much heat as the 40 on my side windows.

I'll second, third, fourth, whatever on the front windshield to prioritize it for tinting. The rear side windows are just colored glass and do nothing.

I live in Florida and it is pretty damn hot here even with factory heat rejection on the roof, I still can feel the sun beating down on my head. I can only imagine how bad it would be without any measures to reduce the energy transmission. Looking at that video, it doesn't seem like there would be much gain by tinting it either. That energy will just go into the glass as it does now.

My MYP came with rear side windows and rear window factory darkened. I do not believe there is any real heat prevention, but the factory glass is very dark! I ceramic tinted the two front side windows with 30%. 70% ceramic tint on the windshield and 20% on the pano glass roof. The two days I had no ceramic tint on the roof and windshield...you could actually burn your skin on the hot glass and the heat coming in was insane. Difference is now night and day. I also have been dealing with skin cancer for years, and the ceramic tint brings me peace of mind whilst driving too! Win, win for me :)

The windshield makes a huge difference. I have crystalline 90 on one car and crystalline 70 on my wife's windshield. There's still a lot of heat through the 90 but it's bearable. I had a car without any sort of tint and it was uncomfortable sitting at stop lights. Would recommend going 70% though as the 70% feels like it blocks almost as much heat as the 40 on my side windows.
100%! The ceramic 70% I have on my MY windscreen makes all the difference. If I had to choose between tinting the pano glass roof or the windscreen, I would choose the windscreen. But now that I have both tinted, I cannot imagine driving my new Tesla without all the ceramic tinting I did!

I'll second, third, fourth, whatever on the front windshield to prioritize it for tinting. The rear side windows are just colored glass and do nothing.

I live in Florida and it is pretty damn hot here even with factory heat rejection on the roof, I still can feel the sun beating down on my head. I can only imagine how bad it would be without any measures to reduce the energy transmission. Looking at that video, it doesn't seem like there would be much gain by tinting it either. That energy will just go into the glass as it does now.
Post tinting the pano glass roof, I no longer feel any sun beating down on my head. The cabin is so much cooler, and while darker (which I wanted), there is still plenty of light and anyone can see and enjoy the giant glass roof. I could never drive my MY without the ceramic tinting on the side front windows, windscreen and glass roof.

Who did yours?

Firehouse Auto Spa is doing our Model Y roof and hatch back with Xpel Prime + 30 tomorrow. It's been terrible trying to keep the car below 115° this past month with the Cabin Overheat running. I had my M S done last year.

One thing I'm learning about these EV's. They're more like a hobby you keep buying stuff for than just a car. But it's fun as it should be.

We had our MY done there (Firehouse) but they hadn't done any MY roofs yet. What kind of quote did they give you to add on the roof?
$600 for roof and hatch back. This is the same that was quoted on my M S over a year ago at a different place no longer in business. He did the side windows in May for $75. Jury is out on whether we will do the windshield with xpel Prime +. I did it on my M S and it made the visual a little hazy with a blue tint to the color. I'm used to it now.

Did Mark have to special order the XPEL Prime Plus. for you? He said he only stocks the lower cost stuff as most people don't want to pay for the top of the line.

Currently watching the car's doors opening and closing on my app while they are working on the roof. This iphone app is amazing spy tool.

So DayTrippin, the new location is really nice. They have three doors and a huge showroom. Looks like they will be stocking supplies for DIY detailer too.
The new address is 7783 Arlington Expressway, on the north side service road.

$600 for roof and hatch back. This is the same that was quoted on my M S over a year ago at a different place no longer in business. He did the side windows in May for $75. Jury is out on whether we will do the windshield with xpel Prime +. I did it on my M S and it made the visual a little hazy with a blue tint to the color. I'm used to it now.

Did Mark have to special order the XPEL Prime Plus. for you? He said he only stocks the lower cost stuff as most people don't want to pay for the top of the line.

Thanks for the info. I wanted Prime Plus for my MY. I did 70 on the window and it has worked out great.

Reactions: TravelFree