Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting of Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up my car on Tuesday and am thinking about the tinting options. Could anyone who recently picked up their M3 share a picture of the side for me to see how tinted the rear side passenger windows are? Would it be possible just to tint the front two side windows to match the back so the car looks unified?

What are people's thoughts on just tinting the side windows and not the big rear glass? Would it look weird?

I believe only the Y has the tinted rear side windows, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I might not be the right person to ask about this, but I recommend tinting everything. My wife and I took a road trip to the Grand Canyon immediately after picking up our 3 and got pretty sunburned/toasted in the car, so came back and did 20% all around with 55% windshield to block out as much heat, UV, and IR as possible. I live at high elevation and it's hot all summer (95°+) and very bright with snow in the winter, so I have it optimized for that.

Picking up my car on Tuesday and am thinking about the tinting options. Could anyone who recently picked up their M3 share a picture of the side for me to see how tinted the rear side passenger windows are? Would it be possible just to tint the front two side windows to match the back so the car looks unified?

What are people's thoughts on just tinting the side windows and not the big rear glass? Would it look weird?
The rear side windows of the M3 aren't darkened from factory at all unlike the MY. So no - not possible to just tint the front side windows to match the back.

For what it's worth, I originally head only the side windows tinted and it irritated me as a lot of heat and light came in via the rear window. Now I have the side windows, rear window and top roof glass all tinted with Ceramic/Crystalline and it's amazing - both from a looks and heat rejection perspective.

I believe only the Y has the tinted rear side windows, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I might not be the right person to ask about this, but I recommend tinting everything. My wife and I took a road trip to the Grand Canyon immediately after picking up our 3 and got pretty sunburned/toasted in the car, so came back and did 20% all around with 55% windshield to block out as much heat, UV, and IR as possible. I live at high elevation and it's hot all summer (95°+) and very bright with snow in the winter, so I have it optimized for that.
Glasses in both Model Y and 3 are UV protected.

Glasses in both Model Y and 3 are UV protected.
This is true, but confusing.

Basically all glass and plastics are "UV protected". Most transparent materials block some UV A. Most laminated materials block a fair amount of UV-B. This is actually a big issue for thing like keeping reptiles that need UVA and UVB to develop bones.

In terms of tesla's, your front windshield is laminated, your side windows are generally laminated these days on new teslas (for noise, not specifically for UV). Your rear class is more likely just tempered safety glass, as is the roof. While this still blocks some UVA, it will let in most UVA, nearly all UVB. IR is also basically not obstructed.
main-qimg-5f2812482c1c227218eace948d1b99c8-pjlq

Tinting your roof and particularly your rear window will have a significant affect, not only are these two windows mostly sun facing, they also generally are the most transparent to UV and IR. For your windscreen, it is illegal to Tint in Australia (AFAIK), but it is already absorbing most UV light. A reflective/light colour windscreen cover is probably best and can easily be removed before driving and placed before parking for long periods in the sun. After all even regular light can heat up your interior of the car, and tinting a front windscreen to be dark enough to significantly cut that light makes it dangerous to drive, particularly at night.
main-qimg-56130a95199ae92b48730c04f6a4f925-lq

So tinting your rear window will probably improve things ~50+ % on its own, the roof, which has a coating, can be improved as can the side windows. While a coating may reduce light energy by ~50%, its still letting in 50%. An after market tint may reduce that to 25%.

Everyone I have spoken too seems to believe and feel and rate that tinting makes their tesla much more enjoyable in Australia with our powerful climate and solar intensity.

I got the sides tinted at 35% for a uniform look and the rear tinted at 20%. The rear is tinted with a reflective tint (from memory) instead of an absorbent one which will stop it cracking. It made a massive difference to the temps of the interior almost instantly.

I got it done at Tint Haus in Thornleigh, they were great.
IMG_2930.jpeg
IMG_2928.jpeg

I got the sides tinted at 35% for a uniform look and the rear tinted at 20%. The rear is tinted with a reflective tint (from memory) instead of an absorbent one which will stop it cracking. It made a massive difference to the temps of the interior almost instantly.

View attachment 922339View attachment 922341
Thanks. Does it come with tint already on the rear side windows when you picked up? Or not really and you had to tint all of them?

View attachment 922339View attachment 922341
Thank you, this really looks nice. I have white as well so I will get the same tint.

UV does not add much heat, but it does damage skin. Infrared reflection is what is needed. 3M claims their Crystalline films reflect 69% of the solar energy. I was thinking about metalized films but 3M seems to imply that metalized film will actually degrade wifi and cellular connectivity! Right now, I am using my minivan's large windshield sunscreen which the T3's visors holds it in place perfectly for the glass roof! I also use the KinderFluff (Yes, you read right) brand of electrostatic stick-on's to provide eye shade.

So the rear tinted windows on the Y are not heat resistant? Are you saying that if I want to reduce cabin heat, I'll need to tint ALL windows? What about the glass roof?

So the rear tinted windows on the Y are not heat resistant? Are you saying that if I want to reduce cabin heat, I'll need to tint ALL windows? What about the glass roof?
The rear windows are dyed - not tinted. They don't have any heat rejection. So yes - if you want heat reduction you'll need to get all the windows tinted (preferably ceramic or crystalline to maximise heat reduction).

The roof glass is treated to block UV and reduce heat.