Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting Rear Window -- Half or Full?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done a lot of reading, and there are two camps:

- Full: worth the extra money, cleaner look, separation of doing half looks tacky, etc

- Half: noticeably lower cost, cannot tell from the outside, can see the difference from inside, but when looking through rearview, bottom part of rear window is mainly visible and not that bothersome

What I am trying to confirm is how each version looks. For those of you in the know, can you please confirm if the top image shows the half method, and the bottom image is the full method?

What is confusing to me is the bottom part of the window that is originally not tinted, appears not tinted in the 'full' method.

Thanks!

a7779710-1c55-43d8-9eca-60dc48b6cfe3-jpeg.5768

df02f5a9-e8a4-4282-8b03-e883eb0507c0-jpeg.9980

I agree with full. I would have done full regardless, but a big part of my reasoning of doing it was due to my son. He's rear-facing in a car seat and is entirely exposed to that back window - so the darker I can get it for him, the better. I went 18%, so the "double tinted" portion is pretty dark, which is good to block some of that sunlight.

But I also think it just looks much cleaner that way. I saw a car that only had it partially done and honestly I thought it looked almost tacky. It wasn't very noticeable on the outside, but you could definitely tell from the inside if you're looking at it. My OCD would not have liked that.

For your photos - it all depends on how dark you go. For the full tint photo, it could be that they just did 35-40% tint - which honestly does not look very dark from the inside looking out. I could take a photo of mine if you'd like to get an idea of the full window with a darker tint.

I agree with full. I would have done full regardless, but a big part of my reasoning of doing it was due to my son. He's rear-facing in a car seat and is entirely exposed to that back window - so the darker I can get it for him, the better. I went 18%, so the "double tinted" portion is pretty dark, which is good to block some of that sunlight.

But I also think it just looks much cleaner that way. I saw a car that only had it partially done and honestly I thought it looked almost tacky. It wasn't very noticeable on the outside, but you could definitely tell from the inside if you're looking at it. My OCD would not have liked that.

For your photos - it all depends on how dark you go. For the full tint photo, it could be that they just did 35-40% tint - which honestly does not look very dark from the inside looking out. I could take a photo of mine if you'd like to get an idea of the full window with a darker tint.

Really helpful-- thanks! If it isn't too much trouble, a picture of yours from the inside would be great.

I have two carseats in the back, one of which is still rear facing. VERY good point about getting a darker tint for that double tint portion

Really helpful-- thanks! If it isn't too much trouble, a picture of yours from the inside would be great.

I have two carseats in the back, one of which is still rear facing. VERY good point about getting a darker tint for that double tint portion
Not the best photos, the reflection was really bad. But you can see from the interior shot how light it still appears to be, so I added the exterior photo to show you how dark it actually is on the outside.

IMG_2090.jpeg
IMG_2092.jpeg
IMG_2093.jpeg

Reactions: WattsHappening
If done right, doing half of the glass is only noticeable from the interior. But for premium heat rejection and aesthetics, it's better to do the entire glass one piece.

In response to the OP, yes, the first photo shows a glass that is tinted on the bottom half only. We installed Spectra Photosync IRD on countless Model 3s and less than 1% typically opt for partial glass vs. full glass. In general, this decision is dictated by cost and budget.

Lots of reports of it happening, some say Tesla has refused to replace glass if it was tinted. I talked to two local installers before having mine tinted, one wanted a signed waiver stating I would not go after them if the glass cracked after the install.
Very interesting. I have tinted my cars windows for 17 yrs in Florida and never seem glass crack. Wonder what it is about a Tesla model 3?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Very interesting. I have tinted my cars windows for 17 yrs in Florida and never seem glass crack. Wonder what it is about a Tesla model 3?
I agree! I had never heard of such a thing until the Model 3. Inferior glass maybe? I tinted windows and half of rear in February, no issues so far. I'll probably do the windshield and roof with clear 3M later. I'm in Lakeland so same temps as you have.

Reactions: nealh
No picture but went with full back, 20% xpel xr as recommended by many installers in my area, much better looking and no annoying line when looking at rearview mirror
Combined with 50% front sides and 35% rear sides I believe it’s the best combination of usefulness and look

Reactions: lUtriaNt