Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting Sunroof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many of you all tinted the Sunroof? Any recommendations on doing this, I live in Florida so i am concerned for the heat rejection not really privacy?

I have heard that the roof has different thermal properties and the tint could potentially cause it to crack?

Would love your opinions. Thanks so much!

Tinting the roof was something I was heavily considering. I opted to just tint everything except the roof with Forumla One Stratus. I figured I could always tint the roof later if it was not good enough. In the few days that I had the car while it was in the high 90s and low 100s (in SoCal), it was already a big improvement on heat inside the car. I could set the fan speed to 5 or 6 vs needing to set 8+ and still be comfortable. Most likely I will get the sun shade for $60 bucks for the few times a year where it jumps above 110 IF I find it not good enough.

I had all windows and roof tinted with ceramic tint (except windshield). Like you, I was only concerned with heat rejection, my kids were complaining of the heat/sun while in their car seats. So far I am extremely happy with the results. The interior of the car remains much cooler (subjective, since I haven’t measured it) and best of all my kids are able to fall asleep in the back seats since the sun is no longer bothering them. I call that a significant win! I considered doing the windshield as well, but no one in my area kept the 90% crystalline in stock, so I just left it clear. Very happy here.

Some people has stated that tinting the roof glass was a bad idea and could lead to cracking, especially in overly hot areas. Possibly due to it already having a tint in the glass itself and heat getting trapped between. I have no specifics but it’s been mentioned several times including from some tint shops that do lots of Tesla’s. Worth checking into at least. Personally I use the clip in fabric covers. It’s cheaper or similar to tint and removable whenever you want.

The tint shop I used has done many Teslas, and they said it would be fine...and backed it up with a warranty. The roof is smoked from factory (I believe) not tinted. Either way, time will tell, but it gets to be around 115deg F here in the summer. It’s been over 90deg since I had the work done and no cracking thus far.

Tinted. Smoked. I meant smoked. But same thing.

There are lots that have roof tinted.

There are some that say it’s a problem.

As before I still think that fabric clip on thing from Tesla or aftermarket is just as good and more flexible since you can remove if you want. Say winter.

Anyway just my 2c

Reactions: ArtK
How many of you all tinted the Sunroof? Any recommendations on doing this, I live in Florida so i am concerned for the heat rejection not really privacy?

I have heard that the roof has different thermal properties and the tint could potentially cause it to crack?

Would love your opinions. Thanks so much!

Did on 3 and Y - cuts down heat, and sunlight.
No (cracking) issue so far for summer record 117°F heat.

Got tired of using mesh roof screen, and did not want to block panoramic glass view of the sky.

20200512_171057.jpg

20% roof; stock rear tint.
20200512_171021.jpg

30% forward window; stock rear windows; 70% windshield

I put 35% Xpel XR plus on the roof. It was a dramatic difference in heat from the sun. Tall + Arizona sun is a challenge. Now its fine and still has great daytime visibility. I also bought on of the mesh inserts for summer when you need to add a layer between you and the glass to reduce the convected heat from air near hot glass.

I put 35% Xpel XR plus on the roof. It was a dramatic difference in heat from the sun. Tall + Arizona sun is a challenge. Now its fine and still has great daytime visibility. I also bought on of the mesh inserts for summer when you need to add a layer between you and the glass to reduce the convected heat from air near hot glass.
Still no issues after two years? No cracks?

I had all windows and roof tinted with ceramic tint (except windshield). Like you, I was only concerned with heat rejection, my kids were complaining of the heat/sun while in their car seats. So far I am extremely happy with the results. The interior of the car remains much cooler (subjective, since I haven’t measured it) and best of all my kids are able to fall asleep in the back seats since the sun is no longer bothering them. I call that a significant win! I considered doing the windshield as well, but no one in my area kept the 90% crystalline in stock, so I just left it clear. Very happy here.
Hi,
Would you be so kind to let us know which shop did your crystalline? The one local to me no longer does vehicles

According to this video, the MY OEM roof glass does a good job of blocking the heat (the video was made by a pro tinter):

He says he won't tint the MY roof as it could lead to the glass breaking. As i understand it, tinting the roof glass voids the warranty and Tesla will charge to have it replaced if it cracks/breaks.

According to this video, the MY OEM roof glass does a good job of blocking the heat (the video was made by a pro tinter):

He says he won't tint the MY roof as it could lead to the glass breaking. As i understand it, tinting the roof glass voids the warranty and Tesla will charge to have it replaced if it cracks/breaks.

My M3 had 50% sides and a unibrow and the roof was tinted from rear to behind the driver seat. I regretted not going more on the sides and the roof over the driver seat.

I just had my '22 PY front sides tinted with 30% and a 5% unibrow, 3 days after delivery. When I inquired for tinting the roof, I was quoted $1,000. Since I'm not sure how long I'll keep it, (new one next year), and had only owned it for 3 days, I declined. Seems the sides and unibrow were enough, but regret not doing 20% on the front sides and darker for the unibrow. Maybe I can get it right the next time.