Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting the pano roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody tinted the pano roof for heat rejection? I am getting all windows tinted but debating whether to even bother with the pano roof. Does it actually need it since it is so dark...I am mainly debating whether it needs it for heat rejection. Most people say you don’t need it but I figure I am doing everything else, should I just do it. Thoughts experiences?

Has anybody tinted the pano roof for heat rejection? I am getting all windows tinted but debating whether to even bother with the pano roof. Does it actually need it since it is so dark...I am mainly debating whether it needs it for heat rejection. Most people say you don’t need it but I figure I am doing everything else, should I just do it. Thoughts experiences?

It is absolutely necessary if you're in any kind of lower latitude sunny warm climate. There's both glare and heat with which to contend. I end up having to resort to the low tech solution of wearing a baseball cap under such conditions.

If I lived not in coastal SoCal microclimate but in Southern Arizona or points east, I would absolutely tint the pano with something even darker than Photosync 35. I don't know if there's a Photosync 15, but if there is, that's what I'd use.

It is absolutely necessary if you're in any kind of lower latitude sunny warm climate. There's both glare and heat with which to contend. I end up having to resort to the low tech solution of wearing a baseball cap under such conditions.

If I lived not in coastal SoCal microclimate but in Southern Arizona or points east, I would absolutely tint the pano with something even darker than Photosync 35. I don't know if there's a Photosync 15, but if there is, that's what I'd use.

PhotoSync only goes down to 35. Prestige Film Technologies (same manufacturer as PhotoSync) does make CeraLuxe, which is a nano-ceramic film that has some of PhotoSync's tech built into it. And it goes down to 20%, so I would recommend checking it out. It does block out quite a bit of heat as well. More info here about Ceraluxe:

CeraLuxe Quantum Ceramic® | Prestige

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
It's already tinted so dark that it almost defeats the purpose of having a glass roof. Why would you want it any darker? Just buy the roof screen.

Am sitting in my car now in the rain. So it’s cloudy. And the pano roof isn’t much darker than my Photosync 35.

The collapsible roof panels sold by Tesla are useless to block glare or heat from direct sunlight. They *might* be helpful as a partial barrier to airborne presents from seabirds or to flies/mosquitoes.

Thanks for the reminder that I need to sell mine! Offers accepted - the front panel has been used exactly once, the rear panel never, and the bag/case is as new.

I'm having my rear window tinted in the morning. I agree that it'll probably be so dark that it'll defeat the purpose of having a pano roof, but I'd rather have that than tint that abruptly stops halfway up the rear window. I wish they had made the windshield like the X's instead of extending the rear window. It's great for passengers, but I'm paying for the damn thing, I want to be able to enjoy the panoramic view too.

Reactions: slipnslider
I'm having my rear window tinted in the morning. I agree that it'll probably be so dark that it'll defeat the purpose of having a pano roof, but I'd rather have that than tint that abruptly stops halfway up the rear window. I wish they had made the windshield like the X's instead of extending the rear window. It's great for passengers, but I'm paying for the damn thing, I want to be able to enjoy the panoramic view too.

Since you are in Houston, TX we recommend contacting EVS Motors. They are an Authorized Spectra PhotoSync and Ceraluxe Dealer. Tell them we sent ya.

www.evsmotors.com