Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting the Windshield in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im getting my car tomorrow and my tint guy asked if I wanted to tint the front windshield. I said I think so, but I think I want to do 70%. He is pushing me to do 50%. He said it will perform much better down here and it should not hinder my night visibility. I also have the white interior so it probably wont look as dark from the outside either.

Has anyone here decided between those two percentages and what was your decision that you made.

Im getting my car tomorrow and my tint guy asked if I wanted to tint the front windshield. I said I think so, but I think I want to do 70%. He is pushing me to do 50%. He said it will perform much better down here and it should not hinder my night visibility. I also have the white interior so it probably wont look as dark from the outside either.

Has anyone here decided between those two percentages and what was your decision that you made.
I did 50% on the advice of my tint guy and it is fine....not as dark as you think.

You've asked a very subjective question so you'll get quite a few answers. I'm in Tampa and clear ceramic as I want to actually see out the windshield. Outside of a subjective response, Florida law states 15% is fine but only above the AS-1 line. So if you want to stay legal....

Reactions: HollywoodSX
15% sides and full piece rear
50% full windshield
Llumar IRX
White interior

Screenshot_20220325-215027_Gallery.jpg

I'm in the same dilemma as you. Have the black interior and don't really like dark tint since "I'M OLD" and I want to be able to see at night. My car is white and I don't like that sporty, carbon fiber, etc. look. I actually like the chrome trim on the previous version of the M3. Anyway, I'm thinking about not tinting the rear glass. I've seen some pictures and I don't think it looks weird if the side windows aren't that dark. So I'm thiking 50 on the sides and maybe 70 on the front. My car will be garage kept so it's only when I go out or if/when I take a roadtrip. Are you going to tint the rear glass?

Last edited:
I'm in the same dilemma as you. Have the black interior and don't really like dark tint since "I'M OLD" and I want to be able to see at night. My car is white and I don't like that sporty, carbon fiber, etc. look. I actually like the chrome trim on the previous version of the M3. Anyway, I'm thinking about not tinting the rear glass. I've seen some pictures and I don't think it looks weird if the side windows aren't that dark. So I'm thiking 50 on the sides and maybe 70 on the front. My car will be garage kept so it's only when I go out or if/when I take a roadtrip. Are you going to tint the rear glass?
I have seen it in person and it definitely looks weird.

Just do something light and call it a day. 50% all around, not windshield included, would be fine imo.

Depending on the film the TSER difference between 70% and 55% is negligible and mostly for aesthetics. For example, XPEL is only 1-4% better between their two top-line films at those VLT.

@tapau - I had no rear window tint for about a year since my original tint installer couldn't do the rear window in one piece. It looks unfinished, and it lets in so much heat but it's hard to realize because all the heat is behind you as the driver. If you get a quality ceramic film even 50-70% VTL will help greatly with heat rejection and range. If you have black interior and don't want to go dark at all install 70% all around and it won't effect night vison at all.

Last edited:
I had my X done with xpel prime plus (ceramic with IR) 70% windshield and all rear glass, 20% front doors. I'm very pleased with it. No problems with night vision (I'm old). Vast improvement over factory tint in the Florida sun. Auto Paint Guard in Tampa did a great job, they did the full body PPF wrap for me too. Not affiliated, etc.

The windshield is not as dark as it appears in this photo.

2020-09-06 15.09.45.jpg

Same opinion - in Tampa - went with 20% on the sides and back and 70% on the windshield when we did the Model Y in 2020.
Last year when I got the Plaid - went with 15% sides/back and 50% windshield and it is much better in the summer temps.
No difference in vision at night or day time.
Also... Another upvote for Auto Paint Guard - fantastic shop and people.

Reactions: Moloukhya and Haste
I just did:

Windshield: Llumar IRX 70%
All Windows: Llumar CTX 30%
Nothing on the back or roof

70% is the lightest they had for the windshield, I would have gone lighter if possible (I wanted IRX on the front for heat rejection and in GA, tinting the whole windscreen is illegal so trying to avoid attention). I’m happy with it but I wouldn’t have wanted anything darker on the windshield.
5F16DD2C-3E38-49C1-9128-39B2A0B7465F.jpeg

Reactions: UltradoomY