Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting - Traveling to Quebec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, any Tesla owners here that either live in Quebec or Ontario and take frequent trips to Quebec and have tinted windows? Im from Ontario, and take a few trips to Montreal each year, and have been debating if I should tint my Model 3 SR+. In Quebec the law is that the front driver and passenger side windows must be 70% tint or more. Anyone have a darker tint and go to Quebec? Any issues with police / tickets?

FF465982-B596-4826-9069-4112F4EFA67C.jpeg
79EC8F0E-0EFE-405E-8C19-9E2C915DBDED.jpeg

I own a window tinting company, the law is applied by the jurisdiction where the vehicle is registered.

You can do whatever is legal in Ontario, although it seems it is not as specific as in quebec where it is 70%.

My car is registered in Quebec and I can run my studded tires in Ontario where it is not legal because I am registered here . I keep a screenshot on my phone of the law saying that when I am in Ontario in case I find an over zealous police officer.

Upper picture is a 1 piece back window half way through the shrinking process

Feel free to come by and have your windows done! Thanks

Ontario and Quebec have the same regulations about window tinting but Quebec has been much more aggressive in enforcing it. That is changing now though. Here in Ottawa, which for those who don't know is on the border with Gatineau Quebec, the local police announced that they purchased a large amount of portable tint measuring devices late in 2020. They are going to start blitzing for easy cash.

Gatineau has been doing this for years and it felt like they targeted Ontario license plates but probably not. I have several friends who have gotten tickets for window tints in Gatineau. They also have portable units in the police cars for checking on the spot. I am not sure about Montreal though.

Ontario has also added the 70% requirement to the vehicle inspection report (safety check) recently. I know this because I had to get this done on my Tesla in the fall of 2020 when I bought out my lease. I was shocked when it failed due to the tint (30% transmit) and they were ready with the regulations in hand. It seems like this catches quite a few people out when buying a used car now. I had the shop remove the tint film from the front side windows and all was good.

As for studded tires, they are perfectly legal in Ontario. Some municipalities may ban them (looking at you Toronto) but they are legal.
I would hope that soemone who owns a window tinting business would know

How much tint do you have on your passenger and driver side window?

Getting a ticket while driving with a dark window tint is a HIT and Miss! as long as its not 5% and they can still see that somebody is driving inside most likely you won't have a problem at all. worst thing that can happen is you'll have to remove the tint or get it replace with a lighter tint . If you don't want any headaches I suggest getting a 35% or lighter. There is also 3-5% tint on the factory glass. and to pass you must have a 35% to be on the legal side :)

Reactions: Goodtohave
How much tint do you have on your passenger and driver side window?

Getting a ticket while driving with a dark window tint is a HIT and Miss! as long as its not 5% and they can still see that somebody is driving inside most likely you won't have a problem at all. worst thing that can happen is you'll have to remove the tint or get it replace with a lighter tint . If you don't want any headaches I suggest getting a 35% or lighter. There is also 3-5% tint on the factory glass. and to pass you must have a 35% to be on the legal side :)

In Ontario in the past up to 35% has been tolerated but as people push the limit the police have been cracking down, or so I have been told.

It also depends how dark the back is, car is limo in the back the more you attract attention.

Here in Quebec darker then 50% in front is pushing it . Most factory glass these days is already between 70-75%. I have a photometer, clients are always surprised. Makes 50% closer to 35%

I do a lot of 70 and even 80% these days. Still cuts all the UV and some heat.

Last edited:
Reactions: SETautocare
In Ontario in the past up to 35% has been tolerated but as people push the limit the police have been cracking down, or so I have been told.

It also depends how dark the back is, car is limo in the back the more you attract attention.

Here in Quebec darker then 50% in front is pushing it . Most factory glass these days is already between 70-75%. I have a photometer, clients are always surprised. Makes 50% closer to 35%

I do a lot of 70 and even 80% these days. Still cuts all the UV and some heat.

yup people in ontario is just pushing it. I see some shops install 20% on the windshield which I will never recommend to my client.

As far as I know, the Highway Traffic Act has been updated in ON. The requirement is that the driver be clearly visible in the vehicle. Anecdotally, you can probably get away with a darker tint if you have the white interior. It looks brighter and and law enforcement is less likely to pull you over.

View attachment 635958 View attachment 635960

I own a window tinting company, the law is applied by the jurisdiction where the vehicle is registered.

You can do whatever is legal in Ontario, although it seems it is not as specific as in quebec where it is 70%.

My car is registered in Quebec and I can run my studded tires in Ontario where it is not legal because I am registered here . I keep a screenshot on my phone of the law saying that when I am in Ontario in case I find an over zealous police officer.

Can we do 50% tint on a front here in Quebec and still be tolerated more or less?

View attachment 635958 View attachment 635960

I am also interested what is the top piece percentage ?

If you do a google "tint quebec", you get this link:

And a google for "tint ontario", it gets confusing and not clear, but here:

Every shop is legally allowed to sell you any tint, it's your responsbility to have legal tint when driving.

Police in Quebec are very quick to pull you over for it (at least at the provincial level on the autoroutes)