Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting Window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Window tint is always personal preference, let me just add this.

Comparing a Model S and Model 3 Sunroof, the Model S, does block more heat, the Model 3 will let more heat thru.

The rear window on the Model 3, is laminated glass, like the windshield, but it is believed because of the size of the window, if you put on heat reflective tint (metallic) on the back window it will cause the window to crack due to the heat build up, if you are going to tint the entire window, installers will recommend using the ceramic tint, which doesn't reflect the heat....

google Model 3 rear window cracks, I am not a tint expert, just was told this

Reactions: InParadise
Hey guys thanks for additional info. My main concern is minimizing heat on back passenger area cos of my newborn baby. I might as well just do standard tinting of all windows then add the glass roof sunshade (just not sure about visibility changes w the screen). Thank you again

Hey guys thanks for additional info. My main concern is minimizing heat on back passenger area cos of my newborn baby. I might as well just do standard tinting of all windows then add the glass roof sunshade (just not sure about visibility changes w the screen). Thank you again
Even with the tint, you may want to consider buying a small usb powered fan from amazon and a long USB cable. The airflow from the AC to a rear facing child seat is bad. I have an 18 month old and she was hot with and without tint. The USB fan makes a huge difference.

• Helpful
Reactions: mociaf9
For those interested, T&T Tinting just came out with a new line of window film exclusively sold at T&T. It's a transitional tint from CoolVu. It's the same technology used in transitional glasses but for your car. It gets darker in the sunlight and lighter at night. The heat rejection is superior at 56% and comes with a lifetime warranty. So for those of you who are concerned about the windows being too dark at night, this film is for you. It's an amazing technological advancement in automotive window film. If you mention that you heard about the film on this thread, T&T will offer a 15% discount for a short time only. I recommend you take advantage of this opportunity. At least go in to their shop and check it out. You can also get more info on their website at Tnttinting.com or at coolvuwindowfilm.com

Reactions: Peekabooo
For those interested, T&T Tinting just came out with a new line of window film exclusively sold at T&T. It's a transitional tint from CoolVu. It's the same technology used in transitional glasses but for your car. It gets darker in the sunlight and lighter at night. The heat rejection is superior at 56% and comes with a lifetime warranty. So for those of you who are concerned about the windows being too dark at night, this film is for you. It's an amazing technological advancement in automotive window film. If you mention that you heard about the film on this thread, T&T will offer a 15% discount for a short time only. I recommend you take advantage of this opportunity. At least go in to their shop and check it out. You can also get more info on their website at Tnttinting.com or at coolvuwindowfilm.com
I just received it, I did the pano roof with it too. i also did a full front end PPF with them. Their window tinting skills are tops, but their PPF skills are more consumer grade. I would use someone else for PPF. They do not tuck in the film and some of their cuts are not uniform. It does have a 10 year warranty though so it will not be a problem if it does not hold properly.

I just received it, I did the pano roof with it too. i also did a full front end PPF with them. Their window tinting skills are tops, but their PPF skills are more consumer grade. I would use someone else for PPF. They do not tuck in the film and some of their cuts are not uniform. It does have a 10 year warranty though so it will not be a problem if it does not hold properly.
Thanks for the info! How do you like the new film so far?

I wanted to drive during heavy sun and at night to review the CoolVu tint and it is fantastic. I was parked in the shade yesterday afternoon and it looked like there was no tint on the back glass and I had to check that the tint was installed! I drove today during high heavy sun and it did get darker as advertised and kept me cool to include keeping my head much cooler from the roof tint. This is a wonderful tint especially for the glass roof because it will lighten up at night to view the skyline.

I also had no issues with the front windshield tint (Air Blue) at night with no streetlight distortion. I will update if I notice any type of faults that may occur.

Cabin heat went down from 114 degrees to 98 parked in direct sunlight.

Last edited:
I wanted to drive during heavy sun and at night to review the CoolVu tint and it is fantastic. I was parked in the shade yesterday afternoon and it looked like there was no tint on the back glass and I had to check that the tint was installed! I drove today during high heavy sun and it did get darker as advertised and kept me cool to include keeping my head much cooler from the roof tint. This is a wonderful tint especially for the glass roof because it will lighten up at night to view the skyline.

I also had no issues with the front windshield tint (Air Blue) at night with no streetlight distortion. I will update if I notice any type of faults that may occur.

Cabin heat went down from 114 degrees to 98 parked in direct sunlight.
That's awesome! Glad to hear that you're satisfied with the film and that it's performing at such a high level!

Ditto on the ppf thoughts. I did the same thing, same location. However they didn't have that new tint last month or I definitely would have used it. I've literally just got the ppf on, drove it to the airport and got a pea sized pebble imbeded in the side of the ppf. It saved the paint, but the ppf film hasn't "self healed" yet. I'm rather annoyed so far, the damage to the ppf is as obvious as a chip. Maybe need to leave it in the sun?

Ditto on the ppf thoughts. I did the same thing, same location. However they didn't have that new tint last month or I definitely would have used it. I've literally just got the ppf on, drove it to the airport and got a pea sized pebble imbeded in the side of the ppf. It saved the paint, but the ppf film hasn't "self healed" yet. I'm rather annoyed so far, the damage to the ppf is as obvious as a chip. Maybe need to leave it in the sun?
Although TNT are not up to Pro standards on PPF installs yet, they have excellent customer service, give them a call. In the meantime, try a heat gun or blow dryer.

How much did you pay?