Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sure this topic has been beatup already please forgive me I’m new here. My question is, is it safe to tint the glass roof of the MY with ceramic tint. I have heard of the glass cracking do to overheat is this true. I have a 2021 MY

I asked the place that tinted my MY and they do tint the roof but they commented really no need since the UV rejection is very high. They recommended doing the windshield over roof as that is where the majority of cabin heat comes from. The place I go to specializes in Tesla’s and exotics.

Reactions: zpaul
For reference the glass roof of the Model Y is factory treated to filter out ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) radiation. It's the IR end of the spectrum that transfers heat. (All glass filters UV to some extent.) Exposure to UV radiation can damage the vehicle's interior and can also lead to skin cancer over time.

Reactions: JonB65
Are you stating that you had the roof of your Model Y tinted? If so, what product, spec? Did this require multiple sections, leave a line showing? Did you also tint the side windows and windshield?
All windows tinted on car. Xpel Prime XR+, Single pieces only, no lines. 70 on roof and windshield, 20 on fronts, 15 on rear, and 5 on the back ones. I would go darker on the roof than i did, and lighter on the rear.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Top of my head gets a nice roast from that bigass heat magnet on a sunny day, I'm tall. I doubt tinting further would help the amount of heat absorbed by that panel and radiating into cabin. If you're OK with the factory look, then I don't see how adding additional tint film would help.

Anyone experience a difference?

Not with a tint of the roof but with a sun shade for the glass roof. For ~$50 it was worth it. The mesh fabric acts as a diffuser. Now the rays of the sun do not feel so intense on bald my head. The sun shade came with a second, reflective cover. I have not installed the reflective cover as it totally blocks the sunlight. The mesh fabric does sag a bit, mostly noticeable at the edges but this does not bother me. I plan to leave the sun shade installed until fall.

https://www.amazon.com/KIKIMO-Sunshade-Accessories-Reflective-Dustproof/dp/B09232DK8Q/

Reactions: dogdaddyden2X
Top of my head gets a nice roast from that bigass heat magnet on a sunny day, I'm tall. I doubt tinting further would help the amount of heat absorbed by that panel and radiating into cabin. If you're OK with the factory look, then I don't see how adding additional tint film would help.

I tinted my roof with XPEL XR Black and it does stop the heat from absorbing thru. If the heat bothers you I recommend at least 20% tint. You can still see out of it during the day. Huge help in the afternoon sun. I didn’t want any of the fabric inserts due to the sagging and looks. I like how the roof looks but it was letting in a little to much heat/sun. I don’t even think about it in the afternoon anymore since tinting.

I feel a big difference and im short.

Reactions: monteitis
Not with a tint of the roof but with a sun shade for the glass roof. For ~$50 it was worth it. The mesh fabric acts as a diffuser. Now the rays of the sun do not feel so intense on bald my head. The sun shade came with a second, reflective cover. I have not installed the reflective cover as it totally blocks the sunlight. The mesh fabric does sag a bit, mostly noticeable at the edges but this does not bother me. I plan to leave the sun shade installed until fall.

https://www.amazon.com/KIKIMO-Sunshade-Accessories-Reflective-Dustproof/dp/B09232DK8Q/
I did the same on my 2020 Y LR. I'm 6'4" tall and even with the sag of the shade I do not hit the shade. Don't like the look so much, but as the driver, it is not really in your normal view anyway. Still gets hot even here in Wisconsin, but seems to cool off pretty quick. Read tested reviews which showed a good 10-15 degrees cooler with the shade installed. I will remove it during out winter months.