TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tinting?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Cosmacelf, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

So I'm going to have my Model X windows tinted. The side windows will get a tint, as will the front windshield (but a lighter shade) as the factory tint isn't strong enough for the San Diego sun. My tinter will have to order a special large roll for the front windshield.

Anyone have an opinion on how good the back windows, top roof, and back hatchback factory tints are? I'm wondering whether or not to put a light tint on them as well for more heat rejection.

2. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Let us know if it is possible to tint the panoramic windshield, maybe a 10% ceramic coat can solve the sun problem we have in SoCal (Other than today it is alway sunny)

3. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

I find that Hüper Optik ceramic tint works best, keeping out the heat but not obscuring the view too much from the inside out. It also doesn't interfere with electronics.

4. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Yeah, so my tinter guy did my front side windows today, but said that he doesn't think he can do the front windshield. He says it is too curved, and would require so much heat to shrink the film that he is worried it might crack the windshield. So no go.

So, until Tesla makes their sun shade, looks like I'll be using a baseball cap in the Model X.

I'm not impressed, Tesla....

5. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

My tinter also pointed out something I hadn't noticed before. If you look from the driver's side through the far side of the front windshield, you'll see distortions. Also not cool...

6. Jool

Jool Member

Hmm, that sucks. I've heard that some installers won't even do a Model S windshield due to the size and curvature. I assume the X would be way more difficult to tint.

7. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Let us know if you find any tinters that do the windshield. I am in the OC area, I would give TW tint a call regarding the windshield, they are located in Santa Ana. They tinted the pano-roof on my neighbors S.

8. Premier Mobile

Premier Mobile Local Vendor - NorCal

9. See San Diego

See San Diego New Member

Hi there! Received my X last week and also live in SD. Wondered where you had your tinting done, and if you are satisfied months out. Did you just do the side windows in the end? Thanks!

10. Roentgen

Roentgen Member

If you want Photosync, I think there's only one place to get in the OC area: Extreme Autowerks in Cerritos. They did my car and did a good job. They can do the front windshield, but you'll have to sign a waiver as they think it could be susceptible to cracking during the process (they'd heard of some other shops doing so, but they have not and think the risk is low). Photosync is also (apparently) a thicker film, and is harder and takes longer to apply. They take extra time for it, requiring almost an entire day for just the front windshield alone. It's also pricey, I think almost as much as the tinting the rest of my car. I almost pulled the trigger on it, but discussion here about possible replacement due to ghosting stayed my hand.

I got a hearty recommendation from a trusted friend for a place in Orange called Ultimate Shield, if you don't want Photosync. I'm going to take my X there for a clear bra later this week.

As for the Photosync, it seems to work great. I have Huper Optik on my other car, and I'm not positive I can tell the difference, although I haven't tried any real side by side comparison.

11. pingc315

pingc315 New Member

Sorry to revive an old thread. Was just wondering what the OP decided about tinting the side rear windows since it does seem to be pre-darkened. Just got my X so was thinking of doing the tint but wasn't sure about rear side windows and rear hatch window.

12. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

OP here. So I end up tinting the rear side windows too. I may have overdone it. I find that I have a hard time doing shoulder checks now due to the extreme tint. So tred lightly there...

I opted to tint my top windshield dark, so I couldn't do the whole windshield in one piece. One piece means you go with a mostly transparent tint, and it helps a bit on top. Results in still having the cockpit feeling. However for me, I didn't think it would shield the top windshield enough for both heat and glare, so I opted to go with a darker tint up top, and a clear tint over where the driver looks out. Results in a very visible line in the windshield from the inside (can't really see if from the outside), and pretty much gets rid of the cockpit feeling. However it is now functional in that I get no heat and no glare.

13. Sam1585

Sam1585 New Member

i just got my Model S tinted at rapidwindowtinting in LA - Rapid Window Tinting - Hollywood - Los Angeles, CA They installed 35% ceramic film all around and came up pretty good. Not decided yet if i want to tint front windshield, maybe will come back later

Attached Files:

14. lloyds

lloyds Member

Wouldn't you see a break line somewhere in the middle?

15. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

You mean up top? No, since there is a thin strip to hold wires there for the forward facing camera above the rear view mirror. If you mean a break going side to side from the lower and upper windshields, yes, very visible inside.

16. lloyds

lloyds Member

Yes from side to side. That would bother the heck out of me.