Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
So I'm going to have my Model X windows tinted. The side windows will get a tint, as will the front windshield (but a lighter shade) as the factory tint isn't strong enough for the San Diego sun. My tinter will have to order a special large roll for the front windshield.

Anyone have an opinion on how good the back windows, top roof, and back hatchback factory tints are? I'm wondering whether or not to put a light tint on them as well for more heat rejection.

So I'm going to have my Model X windows tinted. The side windows will get a tint, as will the front windshield (but a lighter shade) as the factory tint isn't strong enough for the San Diego sun. My tinter will have to order a special large roll for the front windshield.

Anyone have an opinion on how good the back windows, top roof, and back hatchback factory tints are? I'm wondering whether or not to put a light tint on them as well for more heat rejection.

Let us know if it is possible to tint the panoramic windshield, maybe a 10% ceramic coat can solve the sun problem we have in SoCal (Other than today it is alway sunny)

Yeah, so my tinter guy did my front side windows today, but said that he doesn't think he can do the front windshield. He says it is too curved, and would require so much heat to shrink the film that he is worried it might crack the windshield. So no go.

So, until Tesla makes their sun shade, looks like I'll be using a baseball cap in the Model X.

I'm not impressed, Tesla....

Yeah, so my tinter guy did my front side windows today, but said that he doesn't think he can do the front windshield. He says it is too curved, and would require so much heat to shrink the film that he is worried it might crack the windshield. So no go.

So, until Tesla makes their sun shade, looks like I'll be using a baseball cap in the Model X.

I'm not impressed, Tesla....

Hmm, that sucks. I've heard that some installers won't even do a Model S windshield due to the size and curvature. I assume the X would be way more difficult to tint.

Let us know if you find any tinters that do the windshield. I am in the OC area, I would give TW tint a call regarding the windshield, they are located in Santa Ana. They tinted the pano-roof on my neighbors S.

If you want Photosync, I think there's only one place to get in the OC area: Extreme Autowerks in Cerritos. They did my car and did a good job. They can do the front windshield, but you'll have to sign a waiver as they think it could be susceptible to cracking during the process (they'd heard of some other shops doing so, but they have not and think the risk is low). Photosync is also (apparently) a thicker film, and is harder and takes longer to apply. They take extra time for it, requiring almost an entire day for just the front windshield alone. It's also pricey, I think almost as much as the tinting the rest of my car. I almost pulled the trigger on it, but discussion here about possible replacement due to ghosting stayed my hand.

I got a hearty recommendation from a trusted friend for a place in Orange called Ultimate Shield, if you don't want Photosync. I'm going to take my X there for a clear bra later this week.

As for the Photosync, it seems to work great. I have Huper Optik on my other car, and I'm not positive I can tell the difference, although I haven't tried any real side by side comparison.

Sorry to revive an old thread. Was just wondering what the OP decided about tinting the side rear windows since it does seem to be pre-darkened. Just got my X so was thinking of doing the tint but wasn't sure about rear side windows and rear hatch window.

OP here. So I end up tinting the rear side windows too. I may have overdone it. I find that I have a hard time doing shoulder checks now due to the extreme tint. So tred lightly there...

I opted to tint my top windshield dark, so I couldn't do the whole windshield in one piece. One piece means you go with a mostly transparent tint, and it helps a bit on top. Results in still having the cockpit feeling. However for me, I didn't think it would shield the top windshield enough for both heat and glare, so I opted to go with a darker tint up top, and a clear tint over where the driver looks out. Results in a very visible line in the windshield from the inside (can't really see if from the outside), and pretty much gets rid of the cockpit feeling. However it is now functional in that I get no heat and no glare.

i just got my Model S tinted at rapidwindowtinting in LA - Rapid Window Tinting - Hollywood - Los Angeles, CA They installed 35% ceramic film all around and came up pretty good. Not decided yet if i want to tint front windshield, maybe will come back later

Attachments

• IMG_3475.JPG
    IMG_3475.JPG
    490.5 KB · Views: 104
OP here. So I end up tinting the rear side windows too. I may have overdone it. I find that I have a hard time doing shoulder checks now due to the extreme tint. So tred lightly there...

I opted to tint my top windshield dark, so I couldn't do the whole windshield in one piece. One piece means you go with a mostly transparent tint, and it helps a bit on top. Results in still having the cockpit feeling. However for me, I didn't think it would shield the top windshield enough for both heat and glare, so I opted to go with a darker tint up top, and a clear tint over where the driver looks out. Results in a very visible line in the windshield from the inside (can't really see if from the outside), and pretty much gets rid of the cockpit feeling. However it is now functional in that I get no heat and no glare.

Wouldn't you see a break line somewhere in the middle?

I find that Hüper Optik ceramic tint works best, keeping out the heat but not obscuring the view too much from the inside out. It also doesn't interfere with electronics.

Yes, I used a similar kind of ceramic film on my driver door window and passenger door window. I got it to be as clear as possible (hard to notice any film is there at all), but cuts over 90% of the UV and Infrared. I did it because the inside door trim on the X is black and really heated up in the sun. I could even feel the heat with the air conditioning on. After putting on the film, the trim hardly gets warm even in direct summer sun. It sure cut down on the use of air conditioning, thus, also increasing range. Also cuts down on UV damage to the interior over time.

For window film on the windshield on the X, keep in mind that both the size and difficulty will restrict most tint installers to getting it installed properly. Essentially only a handful of top installers can do it, so be sure to get a guarantee from the shop that 1) they have done it before 2) and they can do it in one singular piece to avoid a line going across the glass.

As for the type of window film, you will get various reviews, but the top 2 products you should look for is either Spectra PhotoSync or CeraLuxe Quantum Ceramic - both films have the best heat rejection ratings on the market. However, due to both the price of the film and the difficulty to install it, you will be limited to the number of shops carrying it. Additionally, the manufacturer of both films is Prestige Film Technologies and they are quite strict on who gets to carry these products as they want to ensure it is installed properly.

If you are looking into someone with access to both films, contact the manufacturer directly (www.prestige-films.com) - 408-657-3880 or by email - [email protected]