Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tiny lag and clunk when switching between decel and accel or vice versa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how else to describe it besides what I put in the title.

If I knew the correct terminology for this I'd spend some time researching it on my own but sometimes you just have to ask for help to even get started.

In an ICE car with a transmission and other complicated stuff in the drivetrain, a little play when going faster or slower is not unheard of, and often there a straightforward mechanical fix. But with just an electric motor I'm worried this could be a really expensive problem

2016 P90D 50,000 mi

Just began to notice it a few thousand miles ago, now getting more noticeable.

Easy to reproduce: pick a speed, 0, 20, 60, any speed, but let's say 20mph, then give the accelerator pedal a bit of a press and after a really short delay you'll feel a tiny bump when the power arrives. Now you're going 25. Take your foot off the pedal. You'll feel a tiny clunk as it switches from acceleration to regen. Now you're going 20. Repeat as often as you like. Thud every time.

Any ideas?

Reactions: rickyjb
Not sure how else to describe it besides what I put in the title.

If I knew the correct terminology for this I'd spend some time researching it on my own but sometimes you just have to ask for help to even get started.

In an ICE car with a transmission and other complicated stuff in the drivetrain, a little play when going faster or slower is not unheard of, and often there a straightforward mechanical fix. But with just an electric motor I'm worried this could be a really expensive problem

2016 P90D 50,000 mi

Just began to notice it a few thousand miles ago, now getting more noticeable.

Easy to reproduce: pick a speed, 0, 20, 60, any speed, but let's say 20mph, then give the accelerator pedal a bit of a press and after a really short delay you'll feel a tiny bump when the power arrives. Now you're going 25. Take your foot off the pedal. You'll feel a tiny clunk as it switches from acceleration to regen. Now you're going 20. Repeat as often as you like. Thud every time.

Any ideas?
check out this thread

my post describing my issue , sounds very similar to yours.

Interesting thread, thank you for posting. I'll bear it in mind if or when I pay for the shudder fix- that might be a perfect time to inspect for frame/sub-frame issues like that while the car is being taken apart for new motor mounts etc.

But honestly my issue is not a clunk you can *hear*, more of a tiny tremor you can *feel* ..I guess my description is not very good.

My thing could be related to the sight rocking motion forward and back, damped but noticeable, that occurs every time the car comes to a stop.

Reactions: rickyjb
Interesting thread, thank you for posting. I'll bear it in mind if or when I pay for the shudder fix- that might be a perfect time to inspect for frame/sub-frame issues like that while the car is being taken apart for new motor mounts etc.

But honestly my issue is not a clunk you can *hear*, more of a tiny tremor you can *feel* ..I guess my description is not very good.

My thing could be related to the sight rocking motion forward and back, damped but noticeable, that occurs every time the car comes to a stop.
keep us posted

Reactions: Harvey Danger