TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tiny rock chip

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tanner, Jun 1, 2016.

1. tanner

tanner Active Member

#1 tanner, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    My brand new baby got a tiny rock chip on the windshield RIGHT in driver's line of sight the other day... Called my local glass shop and they're sending someone out to fix it, but informed me that it's only 70% quality (when compared to the color of real glass)? Really don't want to pay to have the window replaced, any recommendations? Thank you!

• Funny x 1
  2. Old Wyseguy

Old Wyseguy Member

What horrible luck . . I have a tiny rock chip in my front end already (three weeks) does Tesla sell touch up kits?

3. tanner

tanner Active Member

I know, right? I won't even go into it, but my car was in subpar condition upon delivery as well (beyond the sad rock chip)... They need to replace several parts (still waiting on the local service center to get them in). That's a bummer! Chip in the paint? If so, yes, tesla sells touchup paint. I'd check to see if they can do something better at your service center though - maybe buff it, use some touch up, clear coat and rebuff/polish? I'm not a detailer so I don't (really) know what I'm talking about when it comes to the paint, but I'd check with service nonetheless.

4. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I hate to break the bad news to you, but it's time for a new Tesla.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  5. steve841

steve841 Active Member

That crap happens to me too ... within a month of any new vehicle my windshield gets a nick. SUCKS!

6. tanner

tanner Active Member

False.

7. tanner

tanner Active Member

I know, right? In 3 years of ownership on my old MS, I'm surprised that never happened once. Do you usually just get the chip fixed or the whole windshield? I've surprisingly never had a chip in line of sign so I've never worried about it... Wonder if it'll discolor it?

8. kevinf311

kevinf311 Member

Depending on the type of rock chip, just repairing it is fine. Happened with my Model S on the terrible roads around here (don't even get me started on the chips to the paint...)

Mine was a small bullseye style chip in the direct line of sight of the passenger. I had a service come out and fill it. They have all of these warnings and disclaimers to help set expectations.

The repair will not be 100% back to normal. The epoxy just isn't the same as what it is patching. That said, the repaired chip has less chance of becoming a larger problem and unless I point out where it is, most folks don't even notice it.

The guy that repaired mine was super friendly and very good. He even noticed a second bullseye chip down low on the windshield (towards the defrosters) and filled it for free! (I made sure to compensate with a nice tip)

Pretty much, as long as the chip isn't spidering out into bigger crack lines, a repair is fine.

9. Centinela

Centinela Member

Same thing happened to me. However, because it was in the driver's line of sight, they replaced the entire windshield. It was covered by insurance. Apparently they can't just fix it when it located there due to the discoloration. I'd check with your insurance company on this before doing anything.

10. tanner

tanner Active Member

Interesting, very interesting. It's literally lined up with my eye. Ha

11. tanner

tanner Active Member

It's so very tiny though, take a look.

Attached Files:

12. steve841

steve841 Active Member

I've never had one bad enough ... just annoyances when you pay attention to the glass...

13. demundus

demundus Member

Mine is tiny, and lined right up with my eye. 100 dollar fill or 1000 dollar replacement (LOL). Been good for the past two years with a fill, barely even notice it in my vision anymore.

14. tanner

tanner Active Member

$100? Seems like a bit much. Most places quote $40-60. Glad to hear it's hardly noticeable!

15. kevinf311

kevinf311 Member

Agreed. I think my guy did it for $59.95 and I had a "$20 off" coupon.

16. tanner

tanner Active Member

I'm getting it for $60, insurance is covering it too! :)

• Like x 1
  17. Evee

Evee Member

I have a few chips, this is life, the car is still amazing.

18. tanner

tanner Active Member

They actually wouldn't fill it because the glass merely "chipped" and it didn't "crack"? Wow...