Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tiny rock chip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
My brand new baby got a tiny rock chip on the windshield RIGHT in driver's line of sight the other day... Called my local glass shop and they're sending someone out to fix it, but informed me that it's only 70% quality (when compared to the color of real glass)? Really don't want to pay to have the window replaced, any recommendations? Thank you!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Tiberius
What horrible luck . . I have a tiny rock chip in my front end already (three weeks) does Tesla sell touch up kits?
I know, right? I won't even go into it, but my car was in subpar condition upon delivery as well (beyond the sad rock chip)... They need to replace several parts (still waiting on the local service center to get them in). That's a bummer! Chip in the paint? If so, yes, tesla sells touchup paint. I'd check to see if they can do something better at your service center though - maybe buff it, use some touch up, clear coat and rebuff/polish? I'm not a detailer so I don't (really) know what I'm talking about when it comes to the paint, but I'd check with service nonetheless.

That crap happens to me too ... within a month of any new vehicle my windshield gets a nick. SUCKS!
I know, right? In 3 years of ownership on my old MS, I'm surprised that never happened once. Do you usually just get the chip fixed or the whole windshield? I've surprisingly never had a chip in line of sign so I've never worried about it... Wonder if it'll discolor it?

Depending on the type of rock chip, just repairing it is fine. Happened with my Model S on the terrible roads around here (don't even get me started on the chips to the paint...)

Mine was a small bullseye style chip in the direct line of sight of the passenger. I had a service come out and fill it. They have all of these warnings and disclaimers to help set expectations.

The repair will not be 100% back to normal. The epoxy just isn't the same as what it is patching. That said, the repaired chip has less chance of becoming a larger problem and unless I point out where it is, most folks don't even notice it.

The guy that repaired mine was super friendly and very good. He even noticed a second bullseye chip down low on the windshield (towards the defrosters) and filled it for free! (I made sure to compensate with a nice tip)

Pretty much, as long as the chip isn't spidering out into bigger crack lines, a repair is fine.

Same thing happened to me. However, because it was in the driver's line of sight, they replaced the entire windshield. It was covered by insurance. Apparently they can't just fix it when it located there due to the discoloration. I'd check with your insurance company on this before doing anything.

Same thing happened to me. However, because it was in the driver's line of sight, they replaced the entire windshield. It was covered by insurance. Apparently they can't just fix it when it located there due to the discoloration. I'd check with your insurance company on this before doing anything.
Interesting, very interesting. It's literally lined up with my eye. Ha

It's so very tiny though, take a look.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 69