Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tiny rock chips in windshield. Ceramic it??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must have driven behind a truck carrying gravel because I have a half dozen little nicks (not really deep enough to call them chips) in my windshield. Does anybody know if applying a ceramic coat to the windshield would possibly fill these?

It’s hard to even see in a picture. You can feel them when running your finger across the tiny micro nicks I’ll call them.

I must have driven behind a truck carrying gravel because I have a half dozen little nicks (not really deep enough to call them chips) in my windshield. Does anybody know if applying a ceramic coat to the windshield would possibly fill these?

It’s hard to even see in a picture. You can feel them when running your finger across the tiny micro nicks I’ll call them.
I have them all over too, I feel like I have 100k miles worth of wear on my windshield in 11k miles :(

When I got my all windows including front windshield tinted in ceramic tint. My installer ask if I wanted to install Clearplex which is a small but strong and durable film (transparent like tint) that will resist/absorb rock impacts to reduce the chipping and glass breaking.

Madico | ClearPlex | Optically-Clear Windshield Protection Film

I didn't opt for it cause it was pretty pricey but I've heard good/bad reviews on this protective film. YMMV. I would suggest doing research and see what your options are. But in reality, rock chips in windows are just unavoidable and it just part of the car owning experience.

Reactions: JasontheBeaver
When I got my all windows including front windshield tinted in ceramic tint. My installer ask if I wanted to install Clearplex which is a small but strong and durable film (transparent like tint) that will resist/absorb rock impacts to reduce the chipping and glass breaking.

I didn't opt for it cause it was pretty pricey but I've heard good/bad reviews on this protective film. YMMV. I would suggest doing research and see what your options are. But in reality, rock chips in windows are just unavoidable and it just part of the car owning experience.
Yea but it feels like the 3' windshield is much more susceptible than any other cars I have owned. While my trucks have actual large chips and the 3 does not, there's probably 10,000+ little marks all over the windshield in just 11k miles. Luckily from a relaxed position I can't really see them.

That is a cool product. Too late for me now, but that would be worth it on my next windshield change. I drive in the desert and get sandblasted by 30kt winds on a regular basis. My 3 windshield already looks etched after 30K miles.

Every forum for every car I’ve ever owned is filled with people believing said car is more sensitive to windshield pits and cracks than any other car.

That said, I picked up a rock chip on my first drive after driving home from the Tesla showroom. Go figure...

I have them all over too, I feel like I have 100k miles worth of wear on my windshield in 11k miles :(
True - I'm at 3,000 miles and it looks like I've just been driving through a gravel storm the entire time...

Yea but it feels like the 3' windshield is much more susceptible than any other cars I have owned. While my trucks have actual large chips and the 3 does not, there's probably 10,000+ little marks all over the windshield in just 11k miles. Luckily from a relaxed position I can't really see them.
We have a Model X that had never had a windshield chip until 40K miles. That's the biggest windshield in the industry so there must be a glass difference on the 3.

I can say that ceramic will not fill chips and sand pitting on a windshield, but I agree with @TintWorldSantaClara that first you repair/replace your windshield, protect it with ExoShield, Clearplex or a similar product installed by a reputable shop. These products will not stop visual damage entirely as they are still a surface and rocks/debris can weather the film, but they are designed to be a sacrificial layer on your windshield. Once they have become weathered/beat up over long periods of time, the film can be removed and your windshield is as you left it before the film was installed!

-Kevin

Reactions: TintWorldSantaClara
After you repair or replace your glass have ExoShield installed. Not every shop provides this service, so you might have to look around. If you are close to our shop, give us a call & we will install for $450 - sale price until June 30. ExoShield | Windshield Protection Film

This is absolutely something I will consider when/if we need to replace. I have $0 deductible glass coverage, but the imperfections are what drive me insane. I'd pay $450 to not have to look at these 2 dozen sand pits right now. (Kudos to @EliteFinish for the term sand pitting)

I had a Lexus CT200h prior to my 3, about 100K miles. It's window was pitted with innumerable gravel micro "nicks." It did get cracked by a rock about halfway through, which necessitated an entire windshield replacement. It was like a brand new car for another couple months, until the gravel pitting made it look old again. I think it's all the highway driving I do, and there are a lot of trucks on the highways I drive. High speeds and tiny rocks = pits.

Seriously, there's nothing to be done except for maybe that protective film stuff. All cars will be susceptible to it. I can't imagine that Model 3 glass would be any different hardness than another car. Glass is glass. My X has little to none, but that's because it doesn't get driven as much. I'm sure if it were my daily driver, it would be the same.

Opposite - you ride them so close that the rocks they kick up go under your car too.

Just kidding - yeah, I give semis a few full truck lengths, or go way to the left hand lanes. Sometimes it just can't be avoided though.
I think I got 4 more chips on the way home today. At lunch a large rock flew over a Prius and hit my friends suv... We sure have been getting allot of rocks on the freeway lately. I'm mostly in the carpool lane but lately i have seen allot of larger trucks hauling stuff in the lanes too.

I think I got 4 more chips on the way home today. At lunch a large rock flew over a Prius and hit my friends suv... We sure have been getting allot of rocks on the freeway lately. I'm mostly in the carpool lane but lately i have seen allot of larger trucks hauling stuff in the lanes too.

I have to drive the 91 a lot for my commute. Lots of semis hauling rocks, sometimes trains of them. When one hits a bump, you can sometimes see a cloud of dust/gravel that shakes loose. If you're behind them, you'll hear them pelting your car soon after. And yeah, even far away I'll still get a bouncer that somehow finds its way to my car. Also if any car decides to cross into the shoulder or anything, gravel gets kicked up. Hate it.

Is ClearPlex permanent?
No, ClearPlex is a film that protects the windshield from harsh
conditions that often break or chip standard windshields. Being
a film, ClearPlex should occasionally be removed and replaced
to provide the best protection for the windshield. The need and
timing to replace the film is dependent upon the miles driven and
the conditions in which those miles are accumulated.

Sounds sketchy.