TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tip: Automatic High Beams

Discussion in 'Model S' started by AlexG, May 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

2. whitex

whitex Active Member

You post title appear designed to attract clicks, like a tabloid trying to get customer to buy it. Maybe post your videos with clear description? For example, rather than calling it a hidden feature, why not call this "How to use the Automatic High Beam feature" , or even "Did you know there is an Automatic High Beam feature?". This way people who know Auto High Beam exists and that you can turn it on, don't waste their time clicking on your video thinking you found some hidden feature of Auto High Beam feature.

• Like x 3
  3. Whitmarsh

Whitmarsh Member

4. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

I think Canuck was being facetious :)

• Like x 1
  5. BrettS

BrettS Member

Yes, this exactly. I've been trying to figure out how to say this and couldn't really come up with anything.

6. Carl

Carl Supporting Member

Both deserve a break imho, because there are two sides to these stories :

- Xiao was obviously exaggerating when he supposed some people prefer to buy a new FOB instead of replacing the battery;

- (now: if a Tesla Service Center would indeed sell a new FOB to a client rather than suggesting to replace the battery, that may be worth a thread :)!)

- on the other hand I admit having looked up some youtube video myself a year ago to do that battery replacement (looking up a youtube video is less time consuming than either going through the manual, or driving to the Service Center).

- Alex is didactic and clear (and, besides, a Tesla-lover wanting to put some free time in making educational video's - what's wrong with that). In my opinion his video's are twice as long as they should be to make his point :), but that's just my opinion and I'm sure a lot of people like such explanations to be at "classroom speed". And I'm also sure there are drivers out there who do not know we have auto high beam.

But, incidentally, contrary to Alex I don't think auto high beam currently does a good job (on AP1), so I turned it off after having tried it for half an hour on an alpine road (but again that's just my opinion).

7. nowtleft

nowtleft Member

Auto high beam is brillaint (literally!). It shuts down quickly when a car is coming towards you, doesnt switch back on when following a cars red lights AND is not fooled by reflections of its lights on white roadsigns - how clever is that?!!

8. kort677

kort677 Banned

I'm curious about this, do you think that as "poor" as the high beams might be that you are better off only using the low beams on a very dark road?

9. BrettS

BrettS Member

I've had the auto high beams enabled on my AP1 MS for the month and a half that I own the car and I like them for the most part, but the one complaint I have is that they seem to turn on a little too quickly. I find that at night when I'm traveling on a road with some traffic but not much that they are constantly flipping on and off. A car will appear in front of me and it will switch to low beams, then the car passes and the high beams go on, only for another car to appear 2 seconds later and it switches back to low. It might be nice if it had maybe a 30 or 45 second delay before switching back to the high beams after a car had passed to make sure that another car wasn't about to appear.

10. Carl

Carl Supporting Member

#30 Carl, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    No I mean that an average driver is faster at reacting than "auto" does, both in putting high beams on and putting them off (and when you don't react fast enough, either you, your wife next to you, or other people on the road in front of you or overtaking you tend to get nervous :)).

11. RacerX

RacerX 3x F1 World Champion #44

Columbus/CLE/Cincinnati/Mason, OH. /Detroit USA
    Hey Alex,
    Good job.
    Some people are visual learners... even if they have access to the manual.
    Glad you are a part of the Tesla sharing community.

• Like x 1