Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tip for 3~4% Battery drain overnight.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was experiencing overnight battery drain from my Model X, and found the reason for the issue.
I usually put my key fob next to the door to the garage, and that was the cause of the problem.
After locating the key fob way from the door (10ft) the problem has disappeared.
If you are experiencing the same problem, just check where you put the key fob.

P.S. I saw a number of threads related to this issue, but haven't found this solution (Please correct me if I am wrong)

I was experiencing overnight battery drain from my Model X, and found the reason for the issue.
I usually put my key fob next to the door to the garage, and that was the cause of the problem.
After locating the key fob way from the door (10ft) the problem has disappeared.
If you are experiencing the same problem, just check where you put the key fob.

P.S. I saw a number of threads related to this issue, but haven't found this solution (Please correct me if I am wrong)

Thanks I had the same issue. If key fob is nearby it will keep pinging the vehicle. After I moved the key fob farther away the range number remained the same.

Good suggestion, and also consider enabling Energy Saving and deactivating the Always connected features. You'll still be able to access your car using the app, it just may take slightly longer.

Those features are not available in the newer MCU2 cars. It's supposed to be automatic.

I was just away on a 2 week vacation, and according to my sub-meter on the charging circuit, my car topped up every day to the tune of about 4.5 kWh (about 5% SOC). My keyfob was stored nowhere near the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
Model S here. Measuring the actual power draw from the main battery when the car is parked shows aprox 180 Watt. Over night (12 hours) that adds up to 2.16 kWh which is 7 miles of range. That's when 'Energy saving' is turned off and my car is also always connected. With 'Energy saving' turned on and not always connected it might be less.

I have had my fob inside the car at all times; do you think this also causes drain? I sometimes loose 6 miles a day ...sometimes not.

Yes, for sure. Move the key fob away from the vehicle and see the difference. I was wondering when I went into the garage I would see the lights come one sometimes. If you have passive lock on the vehicle will always ping the key fob which will cause some drain.

Well I removed the fob from interior and put it miles away and still lost 8 mile overnite (same as before)...AND I have all the settings to minimize the drain.

I do remember leaving my car at airport for 10 days and ony loosing 2 miles or so a day but that was in the Summer.