TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Tip: How to Dry Your Model S Carpet

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by neroden, Jul 31, 2013.

1. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Apr 25, 2011
    Ithaca, NY, USA
    So, I figured this out after 24 hours of trying other things which didn't work, and I feel kind of dumb for not thinking of it earlier. :redface: So I thought I'd share it.

I just got my car (Electro)'s interior detailed in preparation for putting in the all-weather floor mats. Of course, the carpet and floor mats were filthy, since I had been waiting for the all-weather floor mats. So, since the carpets were washed, they were of course still wet when I took the car home. And they didn't dry out. The detailer recommended leaving the car in the garage with the windows open overnight, which I did.. and they were still wet in the morning.

Anyway, eventually (as in, five minutes ago) I realized what to do.

1. Plug the car in.
    2. Turn the heat up to HI.
    3. Turn the fan up to 11.
    4. Set the fan to blow into the footwells.
    5. Leave the windows open.
    6. Put a heavy weight on the driver's seat so the car doesn't turn itself off

The carpets will be dry in 10 minutes or less.

You will want to have version 4.5 of the firmware when doing this, so that the climate control will run off of wall power and not bother the battery.

Now, why didn't I think of this earlier? :confused: I didn't think of it because you can't do it in a gasoline car. (And if you try to imagine doing it in a gasoline car, you'll see how horrible that scenario would be. :rolleyes:) Yet another reason why pure electric is the only way to go.
  2. digitaltim

digitaltim Sig737 VIN628

May 2, 2012
    MD, USA
    HVAC will stay on if you leave the door ajar as well - no need for the heavy weight.