Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tip - make the service appt ASAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new model 3 (48xxx, June built) is at the service center. Seems that in the rush to meet the 5,000 goal build quality took a hit.

Had three issues that the SC said would be resolved via future software updates (Brake light warning, low washer fluid, & car forgets that mirrors folded...all posted by others at TMC).

Alas, my car will spend next 1-3 days while the service center fixes rattle...sounded like coming from back but we by sitting in different seats, with backseats folded down and back up, isolated as coming from front passenger side dash area. SC guy was wonderful and said it is clearly abnormal and needs to be fixed.

Good news -- SF service center experience today was A+ and as good as any service encounter (Porsche, Benz, etc.). After the disaster that the delivery logistics / payment / delivery date experience, all dealing with the blackhole called Tesla ISA, the service center restored a little faith in Tesla.

Bad news -- June build quality sucks. So my advice is when in doubt schedule and appointment using your My Tesla page. You paid $50K+ and let them fix it while you drive a loaner. Don't call and ask their advice -- just take it in.

My fear is as delivery rate ramps the service centers will get backed up and wait will get longer....and we know how well Tesla has handled high volume of deliveries -- what makes you think that they have anticipated the increase in service request as volume grows.

sorry to hear that. I have a June build and so far, it has been perfect, no rattles, all body panels lined up good, everything works. I do have that intermittent brake and windshield wiper error show up, but other than that, I have a good June build.

Reactions: Matt L
Mine is a June built as well but no rattle and no warning lights. But the rear passenger side seat belt buckle is a little off and doesn’t stick out so I couldn’t secure my daughter’s car seat. I managed to gently pry it out with a screwdriver. And one of the tail light has condensation in it after a brief rainy period. Tesla will send someone out to replace it. Make sure to check for leak and condensation after it rains. Other than that, so far so good.

I wonder if Tesla is using the acoustic signature & triangulation to determine the rattle or just using their ears?
That I don't know. Will ask when they fix it.

But here in SF the service center has been working on it for two days and have kept it over the weekend. My tesla app says they have driven it 5 miles. Good communication (unlike the ISA and delivery folks) via text with daily updates and I am happy with the loaner Model S they gave me till my M#3 is fixed.

So great that they have acknowledged the rattle issue and are resolving it. So if you have an issue take it to your service center. You will find the encounter so much better than the whole order / ISA / delivery chaos that many of us have gone though.

I have a similar rattle I think (March build). It began several months after delivery. It's a creaking sound that occurs somewhere in the right rear of the cabin where the pillar covering meets the 'rear dashboard' above the trunk. I wanted mobile service (I'd planned to drive the tech around while he isolates the source of the sound) but Tesla said mobile service doesn't handle these sorts of things so thankfully I'm 'only' 30mi from a SC. Scheduled for the SC this Wed AM, with loaner (fingers crossed)...I've never driven an S so that'd be interesting but frankly I just want my 3 back! Without the creaking (fingers doubly crossed). There's a lot of parts coming together right there, inclusive of the glass as well. Hopefully they can sort it out the first time.

OP, sorry about the other issues you've had. Mine had a few software-related things at delivery as well, but they were all resolved with the first OTA update so hopefully you'll have the same experience. SC can probably force the latest update to your car, from what I've heard. I'll be asking for that on Wednesday, since I haven't yet received the update that includes Summon or the cabin temperature safety feature.