Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tipping for paint correction/ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i didn't notice until they swiped and the ipad asked me. i declined a tip but felt bad about it. i paid over $4k for what i had done so it was kind of a big surprise to be asked to tip 10%, 15% or 20%. was like, "holy crap what?" in my head. those are figures I would have budgeted but not happy about being surprised with options of. i feel like what i paid was fair for what i got, as i did when i got my quote.

that said, i do get it and as stated above feel bad about not tipping. i may send some pizzas in there some day they don't expect it as a thank you anyway. but it did catch me off guard and i tend to back away slowly in those situations.

Tipping is ridiculous anyway for something like this, isn't it?

I mean, they charge a lot of money for their services, why do you feel you have to tip on top?
Over here no one would dream of doing that.

Tipping in a restaurant is about the only place I know of where people regularly tip, but only because waiters and cooks are so hideously badly paid. (Then again, going by that measure, lots of people should get tips, like nurses, people on healthcare/eldercare, etc. But since you don't pay them directly anyway, there is not even a time where you could add a tip when paying.)

Tipping is ridiculous anyway for something like this, isn't it?

I mean, they charge a lot of money for their services, why do you feel you have to tip on top?
Over here no one would dream of doing that.

Tipping in a restaurant is about the only place I know of where people regularly tip, but only because waiters and cooks are so hideously badly paid. (Then again, going by that measure, lots of people should get tips, like nurses, people on healthcare/eldercare, etc. But since you don't pay them directly anyway, there is not even a time where you could add a tip when paying.)
I agree. Don’t believe tipping is appropriate in this instance; however, bringing some donuts, bagels, coffee, etc., for the shop is a nice gesture in my opinion.

As a shop owner/installer, on rare occasion, we get a tip. It is always a pleasant surprise. It has never been more than $100. I would feel very awkward if someone tried to tip us 10%-20%. We charge enough and pay our staff enough to not need tips. It's pretty daring to ask for that on the transaction, in my opinion. I always thought tips are for people that go way above and beyond expectation and for service type jobs that don't typically pay the staff well. In this industry, high level of quality/service/products is expected. So, going "beyond" that is extremely rare. I agree with the idea of donuts or a $25 coffee shop gift card for the installers or something like that, as an appropriate level of gratitude.

Reactions: C141medic
As a shop owner/installer, on rare occasion, we get a tip. It is always a pleasant surprise. It has never been more than $100. I would feel very awkward if someone tried to tip us 10%-20%. We charge enough and pay our staff enough to not need tips. It's pretty daring to ask for that on the transaction, in my opinion. I always thought tips are for people that go way above and beyond expectation and for service type jobs that don't typically pay the staff well. In this industry, high level of quality/service/products is expected. So, going "beyond" that is extremely rare. I agree with the idea of donuts or a $25 coffee shop gift card for the installers or something like that, as an appropriate level of gratitude.

This is the attitude I love from any merchant/vendor! Thanks for posting.

My attitude towards tipping for this type of work is twofold.

1. Was the job done really well, and need no touchups. Should be obvious, but if the job wasn't done to that level, why tip?
2. If #1 was met, then I'll typically tip if any employee or the merchant went over the top by fitting me in early to staying late to accommodate me in way that is outside of "business as usual". Sometimes, though it's just because I can see that someone really cares about what and how they are doing there job. The hardest thing in the world is to find people and merchants that really care.

I'd look you up if I was in the NorCal area.

And, it should be obvious to the merchant; repeat business and referrals are the best tip you can get.

If the OP really liked the work, he should not feel bad about not tipping, and maybe contact the merchant to let them know that they should remove that screen from their checkout system. For all anyone knows, that came "baked-in" with the point-of-sale system.

I have the opposite problem, there is a restaurant that I frequent that does not have tipping implemented in their POS system and I feel bad not tipping them, because I can't, and they are great. So I told management to add it to their system and are doing so. They appreciated the thought and are doing so.

Reactions: Premiertint