Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tipping for PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just got full front PPF put on my MYLR.. total cost was ~$2100 and it took them a day to complete, even though they kept it for 4.

Upon completion, I’m ready to pay and they flip the screen around as if I’m in a restaurant where I’m on a screen with “Tip: 20%, 25%, 30%”

Minimum tip was almost $500…

Do you tip for a job like this? Feels unreasonable, I paid a lot of money for job itself…

You CAN'T be serious????? On occasion, I've handed a $20 to a tech that goes above and beyond when servicing my car, but it's rare.

$2100 for full front is already plenty. To tip on top of that is ridiculous.

I only tip when I bring it back to my shop once a year for a full detail in and out. Not part of keeping warranty, but shop says they proactively go and fix spots if needed.

Would not be tipping in that manner on install. Was never asked either. That screen flip seems to be the thing these days. Put you on the spot, make you feel like crap if you think it's not appropriate.

From excited, to what.....? In a split second.

Put it in the price to be delivered to customer. I am not the employer.

Reactions: MYinmyfuture
I’m about to face this situation myself. A few weeks ago I turned in my brand new Lucid Air GT to the same outfit who wrapped and coated our previous three Teslas. When I pick up my car the shop will have it for five days.

Total bill for PPF, ceramic coating and tinting, $4900.

Should I tip? I have tipped before, to the tune of $200 of a $2000 job, but I really don’t feel like I should have to.

Depends. Do you see a tip jar stuffed with $100 bills?

In all seriousness, a $200 tip is hardly expected. PPF seems like a nebulous situation. I will tip a guy washing or detailing my car, but don’t tip my mechanic. There is no standard here. I’m sure if you hand the guy a $20 you will be doing more than most customers and he will be grateful.

You did right. I would take it the person that checked you out was not the owner. If anything, I would quietly tip the person that may had done the work if I was impressed but no where near that amount. Yes, I'm sure it made an odd feeling. I don't know why they would want their customers to have a weird feeling. Most PPF shops obtain their business with word of mouth.

Reactions: avesraggiana
I would have tipped but if they’re asking for a $250 minimum tip, my measly $50 may have been insulting… so I chose to just decline. They really need to rethink that whole turning around the screen to show you a tip section that begins at 20%

It would never occur to me ever to ever tip for that. That’s a guilt trip move and totally lame. Do they put you on a “list” If you don’t so next time they apply less effort to the job? I wouldn’t even go back there again. It’s stressful enough (to me) to even turn my car over to anyone but a Tesla SC.

I appreciate the support; I didn’t tip at all and immediately it made me feel kind of weird, like I did something wrong or inappropriate.

I was half expecting the community to tell me I need to tip for those things, it makes me feel better that you guys feel the same as I did.
I am assuming it was a Square payment. I wouldn’t tip either.
I drop my dogs at a kennel and it makes me super weird that I have to put a tip on top of the $800-$1000 I pay for 10 days. I usually give the kennel tech $50 and choose custom tip if the option is available.
Nothing more is neede IMHO.

These POS (point of sale) systems like Square or Toast let the business owner configure if tipping it automatically presented to the customer during payment time. They can configure the system on their end to not show a tipping option.

They are either clueless as to how to admin the system OR they know by leaving the tipping option on people will be guilted into a tip and gladly accept the extra revenue.

Reactions: Pianewman