TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tipping your ceramic coat installer?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by tagpats, Apr 4, 2018.

1. tagpats

tagpats Member

My car is getting paint correction, a front wrap and ceramic coated. My detailer is a one man operation, but I believe has one assistant that works with him. I don’t know whether he is helping on my job or not. I tend to tip for most service related things, but this is my first time having this kind of work done and don’t know what is customary. I’m inclined to give something to at least help out the assistant, but don’t want to offend the owner/detailer who set the price for the job.

2. ufbilly

ufbilly New Member

I just recieved my model 3 and am looking to do the exact same thing to her. How much are you paying if you don't mind me asking?

3. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

I don't tip and don't know anyone that has but if you want to I'm sure it's appreciated, especially at small shops. If you plan to go back it doesn't hurt either.

4. tagpats

tagpats Member

I’m paying $2750 for paint correction, protection on the full front including side mirrors and ceramic pro 9h on the whole car, including wheels. Prices are all over the place, so the most important thing is the quality of the shop doing the work. There are many variables, including the level and quality of paint correction, quality of products used and the experience of the installer. This can make it difficult to make an apples to apples comparison. Find a quality installer and just prepare to spend more than you’d like. It is labor intensive.

If you decide to go for it, I suggest doing it sooner then later. I made the decision a couple months after having the car and the paint correction was way more labor intensive than it needed to be. 95% perfect now, but I will drive right to the shop the next time.

5. floyddroid

floyddroid New Member

Took delivery of white M3 one week ago and was advised by DS to wait "a while" before even washing the car as paint is quite new.

6. Jeff@Immaculate

floyddroid, you absolutely do not need to wait. Your DS is incorrect. The paint is fully cured before its even shipped.

• Like x 1
  7. scrapps

scrapps Member

The only reason for waiting to wash would be if you were taking it to a shop for film or coating. Then the shop would prefer you not to touch it. Mine asked I tell tesla not to detail it. I had them wash it but not wax it.

8. fseir

fseir Member

I ran into this dilemma today. Had my car ceramic coated for $1100, which seems cheap when I hear how much a lot of you are paying, but still more than I had planned on spending (already dropped over $1k on front end ppf). When I went to pay, the owner ran my credit card, and then turned the screen to me and it had one of those tipping pages, where you can click a preset percentage, enter another amount, or at the bottom, click a button for no tip. Talk about awkward. 15-30% seemed ridiculous to me, for something so expensive. I had budgeted $1,000 for this, and had negotiated a package for close to that amount, and hadn’t anticipated needing to pay another $100+ for a tip. So I entered $50, feeling like a complete cheapskate.

Got my car home, and under artificial lighting, still see a lot of the swirl marks and clear coat scratches it had before, so I don’t feel so bad about under tipping, but at the same time, am hesitant to take the car back and demand perfection, knowing I kind of stiffed him. :confused:

I hate this whole business of tipping. Japan has it right.

9. coleAK

coleAK Member

^^^ when I had the 3 done my shop went over the entire vehicle final inspection with me. Had it under flood lights and looked over it with me inch by inch. Found a few swirls and corrected it before I left the shop. This was the 2nd car I had them do with ceramic pro. As for the tipping question. They went above and beyond so I kicked them an additional 15% and ordered 3 large pizzas for the staff. Personally I’m big on customer service, great service I’ll reward that. Poor service and all of a sudden I’m a gator (short arms, can’t reach pockets)

10. OptAdam

OptAdam Member

Just like any service based business tipping is appreciated but certainly not expected.

11. duy.duck

duy.duck Member

I think tipping in this case is absolutely ridiculous. What’s next?!

I understand being service-oriented, but come on.

12. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

No need to tip as most of the price is for the labor and that’s pretty much the tip. lol