Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips / costs for buying in Seattle / WA State

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering a Model Y AWD in Seattle. Some questions for folks who've navigated taxes and incentives:
  • Does the sales tax exemption apply at all to the Model Y? This looks like a straightforward no - I think the limit is $45K, and no current Y sells at or below that. Just checking.
  • What does the annual fee (car tabs) come to on a base AWD Model Y ($53K) in Seattle? Looking here, I see $43.25 standard fee + $45 weight charge + $80 Seattle local fee + ~$583 RTA Tax (MSRP * 1.1%) + $150 EV + $75 Electrification fee for a total of ~$976.25 a year to start. Is that correct? Seems a bit high. :)
  • Does "full self driving" count towards the MSRP for RTA tax purposes? Does purchasing immediately vs upgrading later affect the tax calculation?
Any other tips? Thanks!

1. Tesla models don't qualify for any sort of sales tax exemption. I paid 10.3% sales tax.

2. yes, tabs will be about $920 per year, here is the itemized breakdown:
  • $75.00 - Electric Vehicle Transportation fee funds support electric vehicle infrastructure
  • $30.00 - License fee funds road construction and maintenance projects
  • $150.00 - Electric vehicle fee funds roads, street, and highway maintenance and improvements
  • $45.00 - Vehicle weight fee funds highway improvements, transit, and other transportation needs
  • $4.50 - Filing fee funds go to the county in which the fee is paid
  • $8.00 - Service fee retained by subagent, or funds ferry replacement if renewed at County Auditor/DOL
  • $0.50 - The DOL service fee supports the computer system and reimbursement of county licensing activities
  • $0.25 - License service fee supports the computer system used to provide licensing services
  • $606.00 - Regional Transit Authority tax: www.soundtransit.org/rtatax
If you live outside of RTA tax (eg. unincorporated) then you'll save that $606, and note that $225 is specific to EVs because we don't pay gas tax (the rationale)

3. Not sure, I have FSD on my P3D so the RTA tax above would be an upper limit on a Model 3 if that is the case

On my M3 SR+, I just did my tabs and they cost $680. The car cost $45K (tax, title, etc.) to buy in Jun 2019 (41K w/out tax). The RTA excise tax was $387. Remember that your car is a year older when you renew your tabs, and I think the RTA is based on the current estimated value of your car.

1. Tesla models don't qualify for any sort of sales tax exemption. I paid 10.3% sales tax.

2. yes, tabs will be about $920 per year, here is the itemized breakdown:
  • $75.00 - Electric Vehicle Transportation fee funds support electric vehicle infrastructure
  • $30.00 - License fee funds road construction and maintenance projects
  • $150.00 - Electric vehicle fee funds roads, street, and highway maintenance and improvements
  • $45.00 - Vehicle weight fee funds highway improvements, transit, and other transportation needs
  • $4.50 - Filing fee funds go to the county in which the fee is paid
  • $8.00 - Service fee retained by subagent, or funds ferry replacement if renewed at County Auditor/DOL
  • $0.50 - The DOL service fee supports the computer system and reimbursement of county licensing activities
  • $0.25 - License service fee supports the computer system used to provide licensing services
  • $606.00 - Regional Transit Authority tax: www.soundtransit.org/rtatax
If you live outside of RTA tax (eg. unincorporated) then you'll save that $606, and note that $225 is specific to EVs because we don't pay gas tax (the rationale)

3. Not sure, I have FSD on my P3D so the RTA tax above would be an upper limit on a Model 3 if that is the case

While I wish I could enjoy ST service, I’m glad I live just outside the RTA tax zone. The whole extra $225 EV fees are just infuriating. We should do more to incentivize EV adoption not impose extra fees.

Tax Gas Tax Gas Tax Gas

The purpose of Gas tax is not to just to fix roads. The gas tax needs to be a sin tax. That is right, driving an ICE is is Sin. Just like smoking and alcohol, the cost to the public for the massive use of Gas in the USA goes way beyond roads.

The rest of the world has double and triple the the USA tax rate for Gas and use it to do public transit and other stuff. The Higher price of gas is the incentive for people to do the right thing. It works.