Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for Cleaning Interior Glass of Rear Hatch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I've seen several threads on the merits of Windex vs. InvisibleGlass vs. plain water to clean the windshield. But, as the sun sets lower in the west during my commute, the grime on the inside of the rear window is increasingly clear (I've been pretty aggressive about cleaning the outside).

Mindful of the heating elements back there, what tips/advice do you have for getting that surface clean? Are things like Windex and InvisibleGlass threats to those heating elements?

Thanks,

Todd

Reactions: Tezzie
I do a first pass with Optimum No Rinse at normal dilution (I generally avoid Windex, but any glass cleaner should do) followed by a squeegee swipe. I then do a second pass with a light spritz of rubbing alcohol and a low-pile microfiber towel (a waffle weave style or the types marketed for glass cleaning). This generally results in streak-free results for me.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Stardew and All In
I’ve always used Meg’s D120 glass cleaner concentrate and have had no issues over the years. Ammonia-free is the key like @Ostrichsak stated above. Defroster elements are pretty hardy anyway so unless you’re really going to town, damaging them isn’t a high risk. Can’t imagine you’d need to clean the inside of the glass too often unless you’re a smoker.

• Helpful
Reactions: All In
I’ve always used Meg’s D120 glass cleaner concentrate and have had no issues over the years. Ammonia-free is the key like @Ostrichsak stated above. Defroster elements are pretty hardy anyway so unless you’re really going to town, damaging them isn’t a high risk. Can’t imagine you’d need to clean the inside of the glass too often unless you’re a smoker.
The biggest risk to rear-window-defrost grids is physically severing a line which will open that circuit and render the entire line (at a minimum) not working. This is why I NEVER attached in-transits to the inside of the rear glass on vehicles. Outside where the plate goes prevents you from ever having to razor anything off of the inside of a rear defrost which is a super risky proposition. So many cars running around in the 90's with missing lines of rear defrost from this.

I use Invisible Glass. It's another alcohol based, not ammonia based cleaner, so it's also safe for tint if you have it. Neither product will damage heating elements.

Sort of unrelated, but occasionally I'll get some super stubborn water spots on the outside. Windex, Invisible Glass, and even industrial Windex don't touch them. Straight vinegar does the trick.

When cleaning windows, wipe the inside in a different direction from the outside. If there are streaks, it'll be easy to identify which side of the glass they're on.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
I used to use Invisible Glass and got a deal on Sprayway Glass Cleaner, which also had good ratings amongst car detailers, so I decided to try. Sprayway Glass Cleaner is also ammonia-free, and I have to say, I think it cleans even more thoroughly and it doesn't leave any streaks. It has a non-objectionable clean/fresh scent.