Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for FWD not opening high enough in garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A while back I took home a MX for an overnight test drive and one of the issues I had was the FWD not being able to open high enough while in the garage. At first I thought it was because I was trying to open them while the garage door was opened and maybe blocking it, so I tried it again while the garage door was closed, and same result.

I think maybe it's due to the garage opener motor right above the MX, maybe when the FWD is trying to fold up it gets blocked by the opener and thus can't open all the way?

I attached some pictures, wondering what solutions others have come up with for dealing with this issue, aside from loading/unloading passengers in the driveway first before driving into the garage?

Attachments

• 20180207_183311.jpg
    20180207_183311.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20180207_183147.jpg
    20180207_183147.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20180207_183328.jpg
    20180207_183328.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 20180207_183342.jpg
    20180207_183342.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 20180207_183505.jpg
    20180207_183505.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20180207_183510.jpg
    20180207_183510.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 76
My garage ceiling is several fee taller than yours and my FWDs are pretty picky about where I park the vehicle. For me, it seems to be the garage door rails that keep them from opening fully. As long as I park in a specific place they open just fine.

It sure looks like the sensors are picking up on the garage door motor, and I honestly don't see a solution...other than maybe reversing into the garage instead.

I've said it before, but Tesla needs to have an option for the doors to ignore obstacles in certain places. I can't tell from the pics if the doors could really impact the garage motor, but at least in my garage there is no way for them to hit anything.

Reactions: xanatos
There is an option to always fully open at your location. First - verify they can completely open :). Next, go into the doors screen and hold the FWD buttons to override and force them to open. Once you do this, there will be an option to always open full in this location (it will be up to you to make sure you park in such a ways they can ignore the sensor and open safely).

Reactions: Saxena and xanatos
A while back I took home a MX for an overnight test drive and one of the issues I had was the FWD not being able to open high enough while in the garage. At first I thought it was because I was trying to open them while the garage door was opened and maybe blocking it, so I tried it again while the garage door was closed, and same result.

I think maybe it's due to the garage opener motor right above the MX, maybe when the FWD is trying to fold up it gets blocked by the opener and thus can't open all the way?

I attached some pictures, wondering what solutions others have come up with for dealing with this issue, aside from loading/unloading passengers in the driveway first before driving into the garage?

Even if the door motor wasn’t there, and the garage door was shut, I don’t believe the doors would open fully. My assumption comes from parking in a multilevel parking garage with ceilings theoretically high enough to allow the doors to fully open, but they don’t. The doors do go up a few inches higher than the ones in pictures shown, so my passengers have to duck and get out,

Reversing into the garage will fix your issue. Based on your pictures, the ultrasonic sensor on the roof of the MX is what is picking up the garage door motor and preventing the doors from opening further.

Agreed. If you look at the panel in between the falcon wing doors you can see the sensors. They are black and look just like dots. Just like the ultrasonic sensors used in the front and rear bumpers.

Hard for me to nudge here but is there enough physical room to open the doors all the way up (if the sensors weren’t stopping it)? Then you could use the “open fully at this location” which for me works on one door and on the other FWD it opens up 90% of the way and if needed, I manually override to make the door open the rest of the way. You could probably buy yourself an extra inch by lowering car to “very low” at your house as long as you don’t have a steep driveway?

Also if the garage motor is in the way, you could try parking on the right (or left) hand side and moving all the stuff except the thin stuff to the other side? We have a 2 car garage that looks to have the same “margin” on the side walls. We park X on right hand side, and I rearranged our elfa storage unit so the FWD can open up all the way but we can still utilize the space. I feel like the way they open up is to minimize the amount of space to the side of the car, so for that purpose on the side of garage instead of the middle it works really well. We can buckle our kids easily since we are standing up normally under the FWD.

Good luck!

Hard for me to nudge here but is there enough physical room to open the doors all the way up (if the sensors weren’t stopping it)? Then you could use the “open fully at this location” which for me works on one door and on the other FWD it opens up 90% of the way and if needed, I manually override to make the door open the rest of the way. You could probably buy yourself an extra inch by lowering car to “very low” at your house as long as you don’t have a steep driveway?

Also if the garage motor is in the way, you could try parking on the right (or left) hand side and moving all the stuff except the thin stuff to the other side? We have a 2 car garage that looks to have the same “margin” on the side walls. We park X on right hand side, and I rearranged our elfa storage unit so the FWD can open up all the way but we can still utilize the space. I feel like the way they open up is to minimize the amount of space to the side of the car, so for that purpose on the side of garage instead of the middle it works really well. We can buckle our kids easily since we are standing up normally under the FWD.

Good luck!
Great advice regarding lowering the car, I didn't even think of that!

Good luck!
If the car is not directly below the opener, you start to run the risk of the FWD window hitting the metal bar / hook when the garage door is opened.