Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for getting used to regen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My mom got a model 3 recently and hates using regen.. She only tried it for a day though. I am trying to convince her to try it for at least a week because I think she will get used to it. The problem is she is used to coasting after hitting the gas which she can't do with regen.. Any tips for her to get used to it?

Driving the car with it on. It is something new and and she will eventually learn the new trick.

When I got my M3, I estimate I had about 1 million ICE Bucket miles under my belt. Driving the Tesla was like learning to drive all over again, but in a wonderful way. Remind her that regen is saving on brake wear and electricity cost. Have her make it a game to see how long she can now without putting her foot on the brake pedal - many times for me, it is only to put the car into drive.

Reactions: chrstna4
My mom got a model 3 recently and hates using regen.. She only tried it for a day though. I am trying to convince her to try it for at least a week because I think she will get used to it. The problem is she is used to coasting after hitting the gas which she can't do with regen.. Any tips for her to get used to it?

maybe driving school?

Turn regeneration off in a few weeks when she starts getting used to it. Then she can see how much the lack of it SUUUCKS :) My Mom also drives a Model 3. Twice regen was disabled because of a software glitch. She complained for days after each event.

While in this case it's probably just her not having driven enough to get used to it, regen driving can also be a personal preference. After a year with a Model S, I'm fine driving with regen on but I still don't like it.

Those bringing up "saving of the brake pads", are you guys serious? Even in an ICE car, how often do you have to do a brake job and how much does it cost? Same with electricity. If driving around town, you start with a "full tank" every morning. The few miles of ranged saved by having regen on, mean literally nothing.

• Disagree
Reactions: beachmiles
Put it on low

Correct. With it in low and coasting, you'd be surprised how efficient low regen is. On the highway, low regen is typically more efficient.
As long as you are not hitting the brakes you're driving efficiently. It's hard to not use the brakes off the highway on low regen but it's quiet easy on the highway (assuming you are not in traffic). Coasting is more efficient (than the losses incurred when charging the battery).

While in this case it's probably just her not having driven enough to get used to it, regen driving can also be a personal preference. After a year with a Model S, I'm fine driving with regen on but I still don't like it.

Those bringing up "saving of the brake pads", are you guys serious? Even in an ICE car, how often do you have to do a brake job and how much does it cost? Same with electricity. If driving around town, you start with a "full tank" every morning. The few miles of ranged saved by having regen on, mean literally nothing.
Um, obviously you haven't owned performance cars. Brake jobs can be thousands of dollars. And they aren't that infrequent.

It's a new way of thinking. She doesn't need to take her foot off the accelerator completely. She can control the rate of deceleration by how much she lets off the accelerator. If done right, you only need to use the brakes on rare occasions.

Yep, you have to unlearn coasting. The best approach to sell this is justify why see needs to unlearn:

Old= Friction,heat and dust to stop
New=None of the above, just recoup energy back into the battery

Old= constantly moving foot between pedals (city/traffic)
New= one pedal. Simple, efficient and less fatigue

Be sure to let her know that she doesn't have to unlearn if she chooses due to the flexibility of the settings...but will be wasteful, cost more, and make wheels dirtier!

The person generalized about brakes in ice vehicles, they aren't cheap especially when you need rotors.

And how often does a regular person not racing need to change rotors? This argument is ridiculous. We're talking about a $40-50k car and we're praising regenerative braking because it will save a couple hundred $ maybe per year.

I do understand that some like it because it slows the car down smoothly, essentially doing one pedal driving. I'm just saying that justifying regen as something that will save money in the long run, is just not true. Well, it is true, but it's peanuts!

Luckily you have easy access to charging and don't care about range. Some like myself without home or workplace charging with an 80 mile daily commute in traffic laden cities like los angeles want to conserve every bit of range. Not to mention wasting electricity is not ideal for the planet or for people that have to pay a lot for electricity like myself.
And how often does a regular person not racing need to change rotors? This argument is ridiculous. We're talking about a $40-50k car and we're praising regenerative braking because it will save a couple hundred $ maybe per year.

I do understand that some like it because it slows the car down smoothly, essentially doing one pedal driving. I'm just saying that justifying regen as something that will save money in the long run, is just not true. Well, it is true, but it's peanuts!

Acknowledge her complaint then ask what it was like getting used to a manual on a hill when she was a new driver. Then what creep was like in her first auto transmission. This is the new future where she can use one pedal for go and stop just by varying the pressure. Go to a parking lot and have her drive with one pedal only.