Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for New Owner - 1K Mile Road Trip as First Drive - Firmware Update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I'm not sure if AP1 cars are affected, I think they are, but the USB music might be a good idea - streaming is practically unusable at the moment: constant buffering and connection errors.

AP1 cars are affected, I have an AP1 MX as a loaner and has the same Slacker buffering and connection issues as both my AP2 S and X. Some days / hours it's OK, others unusable.

You can use the App or the car.

In the car press the lightning bolt symbol at the top left of the screen.

30bjlvs.jpg

Choose Set Charge Limit and this will bring up the Charge Screen.

21dkg9j.jpg

On the charge screen just drag the little triangle below the max charge indication line all the way to 100%.

2n8y9gl.jpg

In the App choose Charging and again just drag the small triangle all the way to the right to 100% max charge.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Unless that's going to be your first charge of the day before heading out, I don't think I'd set it past 90% - to avoid long-term battery degradation issues.
You've got plenty of superchargers between FL and Chi-town, even for spirited driving.
Note that you may not be able to link the app until Tesla processes the ownership change. It's probably worth a planned stop at either the local FL service center or one along the way to get that all sorted out.

If you haven't done much already, I would recommend spending a good amount of time reading through various TMC threads - there is tons of good information from folks with plenty of experience and knowledge on just about any topic you can think of. There are lots of good tips on everything from planning long road trips, charging, sound systems, AP experiences....etc.

Have a great trip!

3. If you do encounter very cold temps, you want to charge the car ASAP. Better to plug in immediately at your stop, vs. allowing the car to sit in the cold overnight and charge in the morning. The car will use energy and time to warm up the pack before charging occurs.

Have fun!

Andrew made a good point here that I missed the first time we drove in the winter. If the battery is too cold, supercharging will be super slow chargring. Really.
We made a night stop on our way. Battery was at 15% and I only needed a 10 min supercharge that would have added he 100km I needed for the next day. But I did not charge until the next morning, resulting in one hour to charge those 100km.

So the key on road trip is when you make a longer stop, don't let the car/battery cool down as this will affect very negatively the charge speed.

Some basic tips for a roadtrip I have used:

1. Lay out the trip using EV Trip Planner (EV Trip Planner) and keep that in your browser to refer to as your overall route - 15% buffer charge setting is probably OK
  2. Program Tesla Nav only from one SuperCharger to the Next so you only have one leg at a time in the Nav
  3. May consider running Waze on your phone also as a backup and for potential speed traps
  4. Run the Tesla Main Screen Energy App to give a better real time prediction of energy use

Reactions: Half Dollar Bill